Times report Ford on his way to Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Times report Ford on his way to Tigers

Post by L Smith »

LE18 wrote:Do we have any change of views on FB after todays game?
Burns was dire for Glaws after he made his mind up to leave. Here's hoping that the first half aberration was down to recent off field events and that he maintains focus up to the end of the season.
He was a different proposition in the second half.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

If George Ford is coming to Tigers he will have to improve his goal kicking. I used to call him Mr 60 percent when he was last here because 3 out of 5 was all he ever landed and he hasn't been much better at Bath which is presumably why Farrell takes kicks at goal for England.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Latecomer wrote:If George Ford is coming to Tigers he will have to improve his goal kicking. I used to call him Mr 60 percent when he was last here because 3 out of 5 was all he ever landed and he hasn't been much better at Bath which is presumably why Farrell takes kicks at goal for England.
Or someone else kicks. Interesting to see what recruitment occurs.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Perhaps the club or Ford himself will employ a personal kicking coach to help him. It worked for Burns with Grayson helping him.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Rumours about GF are getting stronger, a friend of mine who is a Barf supporter
says that the rumours round town that he is up to Leicester this week supposedly
on Tuesday on Family business before returning to the England camp a day later.
Family Business? or something more commercial?
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Latecomer wrote:If George Ford is coming to Tigers he will have to improve his goal kicking. I used to call him Mr 60 percent when he was last here because 3 out of 5 was all he ever landed and he hasn't been much better at Bath which is presumably why Farrell takes kicks at goal for England.
I too would have had him as a low percentage kicker but to my surprise he is at 81.48% this season at the rec whereas OW is at 80.95% and FB is at 83.33% at WR. It is when he goes away that the real difference occurs - GF is 59.26%, OW is 76.92% and FB is 76.47%. Overall both OW and FB are over 10% better - that is a real problem and I would have him practising with a kicking coach at every junior club ground in the county every week to improve his away percentage. One other surprise is that Owen Farrell is only at 75% overall.
Hehehehehehehehe
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

It would be really interesting if we could break down kicking percentages a bit further. If you were comparing two kickers with one at 80% and one at 70% you would assume the 80% kicker was better but if those kicked were all conversions under the posts and the 70% was Daly from 50m out then it is not a fair comparison. It is a shame we can have zones to see their strike rate from different areas.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Kicking percentages only tell part of the story.

Ford has limited range. Few kickers have the range of a Daly, Goode or Tim Stimpson but at top club and international level you need a kicker who can reliably kick from 40+m. That way sides don't get to concede penalties with impunity around the half way line. Whilst there is no reason to expect the fly half to do the kicking, if they can't the side has to have another kicker.
Simply kicking the easy ones can give you great percentages but another kicker who takes on the harder kicks, and misses more as a consequence, is not necessarily worse.

I'm not sure Ford would be first choice fly half for England if Farrell wasn't in the side to do the kicking.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Will S wrote:It would be really interesting if we could break down kicking percentages a bit further. If you were comparing two kickers with one at 80% and one at 70% you would assume the 80% kicker was better but if those kicked were all conversions under the posts and the 70% was Daly from 50m out then it is not a fair comparison. It is a shame we can have zones to see their strike rate from different areas.
Agreed - Jonny Wilkinson had excellent percentages but took very few long range shots. It also raises the valid point that we appear to be lacking a long range goal kicking option. OW has a slightly longer range than most, but isn't a "siege gun" boot in the Stimpson, Daly or Bosch.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Who are we going to buy as our back up 10? Matt Toomua played 10 for the Brumbies and could form a MF of him ,Tuilagi and Betham also there's Bryant and Harrison but I really want to see Toomua and Tuilagi together. Toby Flood? Covers 12 too,he can bring Dusatoir with him as well!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Scott1 wrote:Who are we going to buy as our back up 10? Matt Toomua played 10 for the Brumbies and could form a MF of him ,Tuilagi and Betham also there's Bryant and Harrison but I really want to see Toomua and Tuilagi together. Toby Flood? Covers 12 too,he can bring Dusatoir with him as well!
Don't worry - I've already invited Toby to re-join; I've checked he knows the way to Welford Road (a lift is available if necessary) and I've advised Aaron Mauger accordingly.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Good! Tell him to bring young Terry with him
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

Scott1 wrote:Who are we going to buy as our back up 10? Matt Toomua played 10 for the Brumbies and could form a MF of him ,Tuilagi and Betham also there's Bryant and Harrison but I really want to see Toomua and Tuilagi together. Toby Flood? Covers 12 too,he can bring Dusatoir with him as well!
Having read SOYOP (some of your other posts) Scott, any chance you could STIA (stop talking in abbreviations) because NEKWYOA (not everyone knows what you're on about)? CM (cheers mate) :smt023
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

BeeJ wrote:
Having read SOYOP (some of your other posts) Scott, any chance you could STIA (stop talking in abbreviations) because NEKWYOA (not everyone knows what you're on about)? CM (cheers mate) :smt023
PO
(+1)
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

L Smith wrote:
BeeJ wrote:
PO
(+1)
PCWSTTT :smt003
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives