Times report Ford on his way to Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Times report Ford on his way to Tigers

Post by ellis9 »

nasher wrote:What is the point of 'breaking the bank' for a player who will spend half of the season away with England and a good proportion of the remainder recovering from injuries sustained in England training?
It may have something to do with signing a top class player. Do you not want top players at the club?

I didn't realise you were psychic, how long will Ford be injured for? You may want to inform Tigers and England.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Iain wrote:My issue with Ford is that whilst he's clearly brilliant on the front foot, he's often been suspect on the back foot. But he's more mature and wiser now, I have no doubt he'll be excellent for us, especially linking with Ben Youngs.

I don't like how Burns gets cast aside in this situation, and it raises question marks about what we think happens during international periods (at a time when otherwise we'd still have Burns), but there comes a point where you have to look at the positives in him coming back - and there are many.
My only issue with him is his kicking, now I know he doesn't have to kick, but currently (removing Burns & Williams) who do we have who kicks regularly or with success? Toomua is he a kicker, I know he has a big boot from hand.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

ellis9 wrote:
nasher wrote:What is the point of 'breaking the bank' for a player who will spend half of the season away with England and a good proportion of the remainder recovering from injuries sustained in England training?
It may have something to do with signing a top class player. Do you not want top players at the club?

I didn't realise you were psychic, how long will Ford be injured for? You may want to inform Tigers and England.
Agree. It's self perpetuating and encourages other players to either come to Leicester or step up.

Look at Sale - been missing out on top players for a while now, and they just need one decent player to sign for them and it will attract others. Ben Spencer (currently with Saracens) is likely to go there and perhaps start that cycle.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

ellis9 wrote:

Ignore the bit about being injured - that's somewhat facetious I'd say.

But there is a question to be asked about whether losing an excellent player who will be with us through the international periods in favour of an excellent player who won't be is especially wise.

Take nothing away from the signing in its own merits though. Ford was an excellent player when we lost him, and is an excellent player who has matured now we're getting him back. If the thought of Youngs and Ford linking up with Toomua, Tuilagi, Pieterson, Betham and Veainu behind them doesn't excite you then it should.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

WE should have resigned ourselves long ago that our best players from whatever country will be missing for a good 10 weeks of the year due to Autumn and six nation call ups, so it's no good bleating about it, It's what those international players do at club level that should concern us. George Ford would be a good acquisition at the price and a much better value than Manu and his injury record is pretty blank vis a viz Tuilagi. I get heartily sick of amateur experts bleating on about the bleeding obvious.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Noddy555 wrote:?..I get heartily sick of amateur experts bleating on about the bleeding obvious.

Quite, Noddy, quite!

We should leave bleating on to the professional experts!

:smt003
BarmyBamford

Post by BarmyBamford »

Would they be the Baa Baas ?
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

BarmyBamford wrote:Would they be the Baa Baas ?
+1 internets points for you; it made me snigger :smt003
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes BarmyBamford that's been the best gag for a while!
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

What ? Better than two Fords on the M1 ?? Shurely shome mishtake ???
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

TigerCaspian there was only ever 1 Ford on the M1 the other that you refer to hadn't passed it's MOT and couldn't be insured so had no chance of getting on the road never mind the M1.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Confirmed.
benj98

Post by benj98 »

Burns also confirmed back to Bath
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I wish FB the best and don't want to sour it but if what Cohen said was true I'm a little disappointed in Freddie! Welcome GF,now the search goes on for a second 10.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

FB clearly stated he did not want to leave, and had been given assurances he was in for the duration as potential No1. From recent posts not a happy bunny. Personally I believe this has the potential to go either way, good business or utter :censored: disaster. Will be very interested in who our actual regular 10s will be.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.