Times report Ford on his way to Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Re: Times report Ford on his way to Tigers

Post by POSTIGER »

Delighted we have re-signed Ford - as others have said that is a real statement of intent from the club. If we can get them fit then a back line of Youngs, Ford, Toomua and Tuilagi could be awesome.

My one tiny reservation is that GF is not a particularly good kicker. This would suggest to me that we probably need to recruit a goal kicking full back to compensate. If there's one criticism of Ford's game it's that he can be accused of missing crucial kicks.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

Also keep your eye on where Mr Joe Ford will be playing next year........
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Bunchy wrote:
watsonjm wrote:
Bunchy wrote:From what I know, Freddie was due to sign an extension this season but wanted to know if GF was coming - if he was, then he wanted to leave....

I know Freddie feels he has been forced out - it's not quite that simple but I understand his feelings and frustrations

Tough on Freddie - the club wanted to make a statement by signing the England FH and they knew they were risking losing Freddie - calculated risk....

Also, the search for another 10 is ongoing and has been for a few months now - expect something relatively soon.....
Care to suggest any names?

I cant name names - but it is not a marquee signing as we are already up to the limit there - likely to be a 10/12 from what I know...

It is also interesting to note that Gloucester are paying Owen Williams nearly the same amount as we are paying GF !!!
But don't forget they won't have paid a transfer fee like Diamond suggested we had broke the bank to get him...can only speculate what part of that Burns or anything was and as usual we will never know :smt023

Hopefully we can get a goalkicker otherwise we are not looking good for that otherwise good news :smt023

Bet old ellis is a very happy boy today he got the Valetines wish he wanted..
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Well the worst kept secret in rugby is finally out!
It's a shame they don't honour their contracts anymore.
Perhaps the start of a major shift that could evolve into a transfer market.
All very unsettling either way as neither Burns or Ford have played very well since all the rumour started.
Some folk seem to be claiming to know what certain players will be earning, any genuine source or just making it up to try and make it look like a better deal than it is!
So Bath have Priestland and Burns Snr along with Hastings, Gloucester have Williams and Burns Jnr and Leicester have Ford!
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

BFG wrote:Well the worst kept secret in rugby is finally out!
All very unsettling either way as neither Burns or Ford have played very well since all the rumour started.
Some folk seem to be claiming to know what certain players will be earning, any genuine source or just making it up to try and make it look like a better deal than it is!
So Bath have Priestland and Burns Snr along with Hastings, Gloucester have Williams and Burns Jnr and Leicester have Ford!
Are you stating that as unfavourable? He's by some margin the best player of those mentioned.
BIttySmalls

Post by BIttySmalls »

kornboy130 wrote:
Are you stating that as unfavourable? He's by some margin the best player of those mentioned.
Spot on Kornboy.....and our No. 10 search hasn't ended. Andy Goode tweeting about Flood to Tigers now.
watsonjm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by watsonjm »

BIttySmalls wrote:
kornboy130 wrote:
Spot on Kornboy.....and our No. 10 search hasn't ended. Andy Goode tweeting about Flood to Tigers now.
Wouldn't mind flood back at all. Would be interesting given the history between them
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

kornboy130 wrote:
I'm not at all sure who comes out best to be totally honest and don't know how anyone can be sure as very few seem to live up to the big billing and who's to say they won't get fed up once again and want away in 18 months!
I'm leaning towards thinking that Gloucester have the all round solid player in Owen Williams but Bath have accumulated the better depth!
I don't doubt Ford's attacking ability though which is above the others but obviously doubts remain over the goal kicking and attitude when things don't go his way!
The other concern is a possible transfer market evolving from this, I don't know if that is ever possible but everything starts somewhere and that would certainly mean money ruling!
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

fortysix wrote:GOPPERTH !!! easy move, and a great visionary
Yes, please fortysix - anytime!! I've got £25 in my wallet : how much have you got ??
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

BFG wrote:
kornboy130 wrote:
I'm not at all sure who comes out best to be totally honest and don't know how anyone can be sure as very few seem to live up to the big billing and who's to say they won't get fed up once again and want away in 18 months!
I'm leaning towards thinking that Gloucester have the all round solid player in Owen Williams but Bath have accumulated the better depth!
I don't doubt Ford's attacking ability though which is above the others but obviously doubts remain over the goal kicking and attitude when things don't go his way!
The other concern is a possible transfer market evolving from this, I don't know if that is ever possible but everything starts somewhere and that would certainly mean money ruling!
I agree - would not want a transfer circus a la football - but the GF / FB case is slightly different in that he did have a release clause built in which is in effect the end of the contract - had he been happy, no doubt a longer team deal would have happened. FB also available and a make weight for the deal to happen.
Less is more....
TigerFraz

Post by TigerFraz »

http://www.rugbymercato.it/ce-ancora-il ... oby-flood/

Italian Article stating the possibility of Toby's return. Not sure if its a trusted source.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Excellent news - Season Tickets just renewed !!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

POSTIGER wrote:Delighted we have re-signed Ford - as others have said that is a real statement of intent from the club. If we can get them fit then a back line of Youngs, Ford, Toomua and Tuilagi could be awesome.

My one tiny reservation is that GF is not a particularly good kicker. This would suggest to me that we probably need to recruit a goal kicking full back to compensate. If there's one criticism of Ford's game it's that he can be accused of missing crucial kicks.
Freddie wasn't a great kicker when he came but he made himself one, Ford will do the same
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Bunchy
I agree - would not want a transfer circus a la football - but the GF / FB case is slightly different in that he did have a release clause built in which is in effect the end of the contract - had he been happy, no doubt a longer team deal would have happened. FB also available and a make weight for the deal to happen.
The simple fact that we have two players under contract changing clubs is a major step up from the norm.
How far up the ladder that step is time will tell!
Clearly a release clause allows a player to speak to other clubs whilst still under contract but that doesn't account for the other player going the other way which is like a transfer fee if he didn't have a release clause.
Obviously all parties still need to agree but that is relevant in any transfer.
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

Since GF has been at Bath, he has improved as a player which is evident as he has ousted Fazlet for the No 10 shirt.
I for one am pleased to see him come back but also sorry to see Freddie go the other way.

Welcome home George.