Times report Ford on his way to Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Times report Ford on his way to Tigers

Post by ourla »

It's a shame things haven't worked out for Freddie here.. in the sense I think he came to better himself and win trophies. Unfortunately he's had various illnesses and injuries and been part of a relatively poor phase in our history - during which he's been generally one of the positives. I guess he saw Owen Williams as far fair competition but recognises Ford will take centre stage and a move to an area he knows well is probably the icing on the cake.

I'm delighted we've signed Ford. I think he's matured and will have learnt a lot in the time he's been away. And to come back shows some guts on his part. And shows he still has a lot of fondness for the club. By all rights he should be at the peak of his career right now.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

At the risk of upsetting ellis9 lol,Bath have got the better of the deal imo!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Well enough folk have campaigned for change on here, some for ever, so now we have it, new DOR, new play makers, why are some still moaning?
We will see in the goodness of time if this works out, George obviously thinks the move will be good for him and his England career, I'm curious what they've told him about our imminent future.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I shall be sad to see Freddie leave, he has been a real Tiger in his time with us. However I see securing the current England half back pairing as a real statement of intent by the club. Welcome back George.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

chewbacca wrote:I shall be sad to see Freddie leave, he has been a real Tiger in his time with us. However I see securing the current England half back pairing as a real statement of intent by the club. Welcome back George.
Plus class attracts class
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

chewbacca wrote:I shall be sad to see Freddie leave, he has been a real Tiger in his time with us. However I see securing the current England half back pairing as a real statement of intent by the club. Welcome back George.
I agree with all of that Chewbacca.
Soggypitch
BIttySmalls

Post by BIttySmalls »

It's a shame that Freddie didn't stay and fight for his place.

That said, I fail to see how this can be viewed as anything other than a fantastic signing. The incumbent England No. 10, best years ahead of him, the best hands in the business in terms of distributions, etc, etc.

Just think of that back line next season!!!

I for one and very excited about this and welcome George home.

One or two more big ball carriers and we are about set for next season.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

From what I know, Freddie was due to sign an extension this season but wanted to know if GF was coming - if he was, then he wanted to leave....

I know Freddie feels he has been forced out - it's not quite that simple but I understand his feelings and frustrations

Tough on Freddie - the club wanted to make a statement by signing the England FH and they knew they were risking losing Freddie - calculated risk....

Also, the search for another 10 is ongoing and has been for a few months now - expect something relatively soon.....
Less is more....
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

BIttySmalls wrote:It's a shame that Freddie didn't stay and fight for his place.

That said, I fail to see how this can be viewed as anything other than a fantastic signing. The incumbent England No. 10, best years ahead of him, the best hands in the business in terms of distributions, etc, etc.

Just think of that back line next season!!!

I for one and very excited about this and welcome George home.

One or two more big ball carriers and we are about set for next season.
Agree with all of this. Would have liked Freddie to stay but Ford joining is great news.
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

Bunchy wrote:From what I know, Freddie was due to sign an extension this season but wanted to know if GF was coming - if he was, then he wanted to leave....

I know Freddie feels he has been forced out - it's not quite that simple but I understand his feelings and frustrations

Tough on Freddie - the club wanted to make a statement by signing the England FH and they knew they were risking losing Freddie - calculated risk....

Also, the search for another 10 is ongoing and has been for a few months now - expect something relatively soon.....
Care to suggest any names?
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

GOPPERTH !!! easy move, and a great visionary
kelmat

Post by kelmat »

watsonjm wrote:
Bunchy wrote:From what I know, Freddie was due to sign an extension this season but wanted to know if GF was coming - if he was, then he wanted to leave....

It was suggested to me on Saturday we are in talks with a young South African 10
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

kelmat wrote:
watsonjm wrote:

It was suggested to me on Saturday we are in talks with a young South African 10
not the one that sort of retired recently?
BIttySmalls

Post by BIttySmalls »

Also, the search for another 10 is ongoing and has been for a few months now - expect something relatively soon.....[/quote]

Care to suggest any names?[/quote]

It was suggested to me on Saturday we are in talks with a young South African 10[/quote]

not the one that sort of retired recently?[/quote]

Goosen?? No way.

Too expensive
Shoots his mates
Is a devious underhand so and so.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

watsonjm wrote:

I cant name names - but it is not a marquee signing as we are already up to the limit there - likely to be a 10/12 from what I know...

It is also interesting to note that Gloucester are paying Owen Williams nearly the same amount as we are paying GF !!!
Less is more....