Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

h's dad
Super User
Super User

Re: Times report Ford on his way to Tigers

Post by h's dad »

sam16111986 wrote:
h's dad wrote:Irrespective of my own opinion of GF and concern if he comes at the expense of FB; when GF originally left Tigers, it was at least partially because the dog would not be wagged by the tail - has the tail realised its place or has the dog rolled over?
Really? Ford knew he'd be second choice, new Bath had invested heavily in a number of high quality players and knew if he moved he'd be first choice under his father's guidance. Cockers even said he'd be welcomed back.

Doesn't sound like Ford was making demands of Tigers or wanting to be bigger than the team. He made a career decision and it's worked out pretty well for him with England and to a lesser degree with Bath (distinct lack of silverware).
it wasn't that he knew he was second choice, it was that Tigers wouldn't give him the guarantee that he was first choice. The demands were there, even if they were just an excuse.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Noddy555 wrote:Ellis 9 you should know by now that I passed my 70th birthday on the 10th of January this year, but a friend of mines' 9 year old granddaughter also consults
the teletext service as well as her ipad,Twitter and facebook.
A belated Happy Birthday Noddy!
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

h's dad wrote:
sam16111986 wrote:
h's dad wrote:Irrespective of my own opinion of GF and concern if he comes at the expense of FB; when GF originally left Tigers, it was at least partially because the dog would not be wagged by the tail - has the tail realised its place or has the dog rolled over?
Really? Ford knew he'd be second choice, new Bath had invested heavily in a number of high quality players and knew if he moved he'd be first choice under his father's guidance. Cockers even said he'd be welcomed back.

Doesn't sound like Ford was making demands of Tigers or wanting to be bigger than the team. He made a career decision and it's worked out pretty well for him with England and to a lesser degree with Bath (distinct lack of silverware).
it wasn't that he knew he was second choice, it was that Tigers wouldn't give him the guarantee that he was first choice. The demands were there, even if they were just an excuse.
His dad was at Bath so this totally changes the situation. I believe the lad is loyal but loyalty to family will always trump loyalty to club (and so it should). He was a young lad then and whatever the "public" excuse was for him leaving Tigers, if his dad asked him to come then you can't blame him for answering the call. I don't think it was a great call by Mike to be honest but that doesn't reflect on George. I also don't blame George for wanting to leave Bath. Can't be easy working for the guy that sacked your Dad.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

George Ford - If true

Post by Chobbsy »

If this is true and he has a desire to join us again (hopefully not only for the money), it will be a good signing, always really good to have players who want to be here.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

To develope he needed to play. Tiges wouldn't guarantee him a starting place so he went somewhere that would (or at least gave him a better bet).

With hindsight Toby left 1 season later so he would have got more time with us had he stayed.

I have no issue with his decision to leave, nor why he made it, but I did take issue at it being done, dusted & hushed up before the date that Bath were meant to be allowed to approach him.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: George Ford - If true

Post by WhitecapTiger »

http://forum.leicestertigers.com/viewto ... =1&t=44211

Seems some on the linked thread agree :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

h's dad wrote:
sam16111986 wrote:

Without needing to divulge your sources, do you know that for a fact or is it a degree of speculation?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

4071 wrote:
h's dad wrote:
sam16111986 wrote:
quote="h's dad"Irrespective of my own opinion of GF and concern if he comes at the expense of FB; when GF originally left Tigers, it was at least partially because the dog would not be wagged by the tail - has the tail realised its place or has the dog rolled over?

Without needing to divulge your sources, do you know that for a fact or is it a degree of speculation?
Happy to be corrected (it's quite a while ago after all) but didn't Cockers say that that was the reason GF left? Although even if he did say it, it could be it was the "public" reason, which is sometimes different to the actual reason.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Mage has confirmed our interest today in his press conference....

My issue with GF leaving was more about the fact that at the time of announcement, he had played more games than Toby that season. The reason he did not keep the shirt when Toby returned was that his performances were not good enough.....

Hopefully a more experienced and mature GF will come back and light up Welford Road....
Less is more....
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

My issue with Ford is that whilst he's clearly brilliant on the front foot, he's often been suspect on the back foot. But he's more mature and wiser now, I have no doubt he'll be excellent for us, especially linking with Ben Youngs.

I don't like how Burns gets cast aside in this situation, and it raises question marks about what we think happens during international periods (at a time when otherwise we'd still have Burns), but there comes a point where you have to look at the positives in him coming back - and there are many.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Will S wrote:
h's dad wrote:
sam16111986 wrote:<<quote="h's dad">>Irrespective of my own opinion of GF and concern if he comes at the expense of FB; when GF originally left Tigers, it was at least partially because the dog would not be wagged by the tail - has the tail realised its place or has the dog rolled over?<</quote>>

His dad was at Bath so this totally changes the situation. I believe the lad is loyal but loyalty to family will always trump loyalty to club (and so it should). He was a young lad then and whatever the "public" excuse was for him leaving Tigers, if his dad asked him to come then you can't blame him for answering the call. I don't think it was a great call by Mike to be honest but that doesn't reflect on George. I also don't blame George for wanting to leave Bath. Can't be easy working for the guy that sacked your Dad.
Yes, his dad was obviously also a major factor, something I and others pointed out at the time although certain elements shouted us down and claimed it was all Cocker's fault.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Iain wrote:I don't like how Burns gets cast aside in this situation, and it raises question marks about what we think happens during international periods (at a time when otherwise we'd still have Burns), but there comes a point where you have to look at the positives in him coming back - and there are many.
Has he been cast aside. He seemed OK with competing with Williams for game time. At least with Ford he is guaranteed No 1 spot during internationals. Isn't it his choice?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ourla wrote:
Iain wrote:I don't like how Burns gets cast aside in this situation, and it raises question marks about what we think happens during international periods (at a time when otherwise we'd still have Burns), but there comes a point where you have to look at the positives in him coming back - and there are many.
Has he been cast aside. He seemed OK with competing with Williams for game time. At least with Ford he is guaranteed No 1 spot during internationals. Isn't it his choice?
He came as the No1 choice and I doubt he will stay to be Ford's understudy.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

4071 wrote:
h's dad wrote:it wasn't that he knew he was second choice, it was that Tigers wouldn't give him the guarantee that he was first choice. The demands were there, even if they were just an excuse.
Thought I'd replied to this but I've lost it somewhere.

No secret sources, just scuttlebutt and the odd press article; http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/did-g ... story.html

Do you have anything to the contrary 4071? Always appreciate your posts.
nasher

Post by nasher »

What is the point of 'breaking the bank' for a player who will spend half of the season away with England and a good proportion of the remainder recovering from injuries sustained in England training?