Hartley confirmed as England captain

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Hartley confirmed as England captain

Post by Mark62 »

Like a lot that EJ has done but really question this ?
G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Hartley confirmed as England captain

Post by G.K »

:smt009 :smt009 :smt009 :smt009 :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

What a terrible idea to name the incumbant captain as captain again for the Six Nations. Especially since he's on the back of a grand slam, a clean sweep on summer tour and a clean sweep in the autumn internationals. What was Eddie Jones thinking, sticking with a winning formula like that. Sack Jones I say!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Judging by the state of EJ's blackened eyes he put up quite a fight before yielding to Dullen as Captain; I will drink to a Grand Slam - Oh what is Dullen's favorite drink? - Punch of course!! :smt030
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Iain wrote:What a terrible idea to name the incumbant captain as captain again for the Six Nations. Especially since he's on the back of a grand slam, a clean sweep on summer tour and a clean sweep in the autumn internationals. What was Eddie Jones thinking, sticking with a winning formula like that. Sack Jones I say!
The same bloke who committed an act of thuggery on the pitch in 6 minutes of his return and has had 60 weeks of total suspension, and who by common consent is at best 3rd choice hooker in England
Bet the All Blacks hope he skippers the lions. They won't be looking to wind him up at all!!!!!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Mark62 wrote:The same bloke who committed an act of thuggery on the pitch in 6 minutes of his return and has had 60 weeks of total suspension, and who by common consent is at best 3rd choice hooker in England
You're a big fan then?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

On current form with England, he's absolutely the best hooker and the best choice for captain.

Look - I can't stand him and I didn't want him to be captain. But you're deluding yourself or exercising a lot of bias if you don't think he's been a resounding success as England captain.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Iain don't get me wrong the results speak for themselves and they would indicate he must have had something to change things since the disastrous World Cup.
He is EJs man, that much is obvious. My own opinion is that his short fuse is just waiting to be ignited, and the French will be getting right into him. I also feel that Jamie George is the best hooker in England, if not the uk, and that playing wise Hartley is behind Taylor and possibly Cowan Dickie too.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

DH as Lions captain? Yes please! ABs wind him up? You do realise that I think he's only got one yellow at international level? Rather him than AWJ who is probably our 7th best lock and nowhere near as good as L and L and Krutoje!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Iain wrote:What a terrible idea to name the incumbant captain as captain again for the Six Nations. Especially since he's on the back of a grand slam, a clean sweep on summer tour and a clean sweep in the autumn internationals. What was Eddie Jones thinking, sticking with a winning formula like that. Sack Jones I say!
I totally agree, especially with sacking him !!!!! but only so he can come to us
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I would've thought some would've appreciated more what Hartley brings by now, he is prepared to go to places that few else are.
It's also a good idea to have some bite at hooker.
Hartley may bite a bit too hard occasionally but the rest are on a tight leash, the academy generation has talent, some of them are so good they haven't experienced a proper fight yet.
Lets hope they don't cry off to Daddy or the head masters office like some others when it does get tough!
I suspect Ireland and Scotland won't be walkovers for much longer.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Chobbsy wrote:
I totally agree, especially with sacking him !!!!! but only so he can come to us
Some on this forum would not accept EJ as he is an ex-Tiger (just).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

All part of Eddie's jigsaw. While there may (and it is a matter of personal opinion) be others deemed to be better, it is not always the level of playing ability that determines selection. DH is not a shabby hooker.

I have met a few of those in my time but they always wore dresses, even the blokes!!

I do know for a fact that DH is one of the most pleasant, charismatic guys you could ever wish to meet.

Eddie is no mug. He selects the combinations to win games. As Eddie has said, he has given chances to players that in hindsight he should not have done and some that he should have? So IMO for Eddie to choose DH as Captain it is for all the qualities he brings to the game not just as some say, as a (3rd rate) hooker.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Off the pitch I am sure he is a nice guy.

Unfortunately he is prone to the red mist and when he does he loses control of his mouth and seems to cross the boundary between controlled agressive, physical play and thuggery. It has cost Saints and I would rather it didn't cost England.

Repeated bans comprising 10% of his professional career suggest it is a personality trait that isn't dwindling and hasn't been been possible for the psychologists to help him with thus far.

Excludes him as an England player for me.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Nice guy ok
Competitive hooker ok
Best English hooker questionable.

My big question is if another English player did what he had done would EJ treat them the same way as Hartley.
Cipriani for example, yes I know he broke the law, has been shown the door very quickly