Tigers v Saints AWC Saturday 28th Jan.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saints AWC Saturday 28th Jan.

Post by ellis9 »

I couldn't care less about the drummers, the bar service or any other type of entertainment etc.

I turn up to watch a game of rugby not to watch or listen to drummers, a band, flag runners or go to the bar for food and drink.

I went to the Wasps away match and went to the fan village which people make a big fuss about. There was music playing, drinks stations and food stations. I was stood in there unimpressed and just waiting for the game to start.

I don't understand why people want these extras to be honest.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ellis9 wrote:I couldn't care less about the drummers, the bar service or any other type of entertainment etc.

I turn up to watch a game of rugby not to watch or listen to drummers, a band, flag runners or go to the bar for food and drink.

I went to the Wasps away match and went to the fan village which people make a big fuss about. There was music playing, drinks stations and food stations. I was stood in there unimpressed and just waiting for the game to start.

It makes it more of an event and creates an atmosphere. It makes it worth putting the effort in to see a live game. Some people travel a long way. And sometimes the game isn't up to much. If you really want to just watch a match and are only really interested in the match, then TV is the ideal medium.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I travel an hour for each game and as I said, I pay to watch a game of rugby. I don't need extras for me to "put the effort in" to turn up. I'll turn up to every game I can because I want to watch my team play rugby, not because I get to see some entertaining things or can buy some food and drink.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

ellis9 wrote:I couldn't care less about the drummers, the bar service or any other type of entertainment etc.

I'm not keen but I recognise that the club has to cater for all tastes.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

With a big scowl on your face seeing people actually enjoying themselves
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

No not at all. I am happy when at Tigers so why would I be scowling? I am just saying I don't need all the extras. Those things don't increase my match day experience whatsoever.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

You would also have a scowl on your face if they were banging away right in front of you and you could not get away from the infernal row like we had to endure at the City Ground. :smt013
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

I agree with the previous two comments. I go to Welford Road to watch a game of rugby, not to listen to a bunch of drums being banged. I too was well and truly peed off with them in Nottingham and no doubt they'll be parading in front of us in the big stand on Saturday.

If you automatically assume more noise equals more fun, then go and live at the end of the runway at EMA.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ellis9 wrote:I travel an hour for each game and as I said, I pay to watch a game of rugby. I don't need extras for me to "put the effort in" to turn up. I'll turn up to every game I can because I want to watch my team play rugby, not because I get to see some entertaining things or can buy some food and drink.
You are extrapolating your own needs and desires out to that of the entire population of people that attend games. Before I moved my seat there was a guy sat in front of me that complained that I clapped too loudly when the team came out at the start of the game. He would then chat to his friend, check his phone and visit the bar most of the game. Each to their own as they say. Except of course there is an inevitable overlap.

I guess you'd rather they didn't play Smoke on the Water as the team enters the field, nor there to be flag tunnel for the players to run out to, etc.?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Smoke on the water is great. I clap and clap very loudly and shout for the team. It seems you're implying that I think there should be minimal noise. You're wrong. The noise is fine. I just don't need entertainment etc to improve my enjoyment. You obviously do and so do others and that is fine. I'm just saying it makes no difference for me and if it wasn't there, I wouldn't miss it.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

BeeJ wrote:I agree with the previous two comments. I go to Welford Road to watch a game of rugby, not to listen to a bunch of drums being banged. I too was well and truly peed off with them in Nottingham and no doubt they'll be parading in front of us in the big stand on Saturday.

If you automatically assume more noise equals more fun, then go and live at the end of the runway at EMA.
I do live there; one does get used to it but, no - it's not fun!

Totally agree about drums, flags and dancers distracting from the game - happy to hear and see the fun before and after the match but (as with idiots on the tannoy) - never during the game. In fact, young Strawclearer and I have sworn never to watch Exeter again because of that toneless, tuneless, meaningless dirge that passes for a supporters' chant!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

strawclearer wrote:
BeeJ wrote:I agree with the previous two comments. I go to Welford Road to watch a game of rugby, not to listen to a bunch of drums being banged. I too was well and truly peed off with them in Nottingham and no doubt they'll be parading in front of us in the big stand on Saturday.

I do live there; one does get used to it but, no - it's not fun!

Totally agree about drums, flags and dancers distracting from the game - happy to hear and see the fun before and after the match but (as with idiots on the tannoy) - never during the game. In fact, young Strawclearer and I have sworn never to watch Exeter again because of that toneless, tuneless, meaningless dirge that passes for a supporters' chant!
Ah! The days of the true game of rugby are long in the past. Gone are the days of good debate and harmless banter; the silence observed for the kicker; the ref was always called 'sir' no matter how good or bad he was; players played to the whistle, no backchat, no pleading for a penalty at every breakdown.

It is now the BIG SHOW, bring your drum, boo the ref (and players sometimes) dancing girls; dancing boys, players barrack the ref at every opportunity, not just the captain; the noiser it is - it must be better etc etc. :smt010
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

Not sure where wormus got his information from regarding the referee for the match but the website is now showing someone called Dan Jones as the man in the middle. I wonder if Tigers made a complaint about Whitehouse in view of his carp performance in the Racing match. Mind you Jones is apparently also Welsh so we may have to pray to the Gods that he is not as bad.
Give blood, play rugby!!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I'd like to see all of the development players starting this match.
See what they have got!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I like Smoke on the Water but hate the clapping which is NEVER in time whether on the beat or offbeat, I'm much happier with the Dhol Drummers, at least they play in time. :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.