Tigers v Saints AWC Saturday 28th Jan.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saints AWC Saturday 28th Jan.

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote:
BFG wrote:
drc_007 wrote:Just out of curiosity, if the back-row is a little thin on the ground, would you prefer to use Harry Thacker or promote Will Owen?
I don't think either of the above is good enough for Leicester.
If Croft can prove his fitness then I'd like to see him retained, I expect he will play a little less but he is top quality to bring in.
If it's true Kalamafoni is coming then a good balance is starting to emerge alongside Williams, McCaffery, O'Connor, Hamilton and Evans who is still developing as a young forward at just turned 20.
Another No8 would be my preference, maybe a Laurence Pearce type player from under the radar from the Championship.

Someone suggested Alex Reider from Wasps as a 8 signing, which I would be very much for.
Yes that could be a good shout!
There were also a couple of lads on the back five of the scrum in the recent academy match I saw that certainly have the size to develop who could well overtake the likes of Will Owen and Thacker as back row options in the near future.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

For me Thacker is the best No. 2 we have at the club currently although Mcguigan did do well when he came on apart from his line out throws which deteriorated noticeably when he took over from Thacker. As for getting isolated that's not Thacker's fault more the other players who should have been on his shoulder. Moreover He is a try scoring number 2 and he proved it again Yesterday. The other
Young lads did well especially Harry Wells and Roberts but I think it's too soon to blood any of the others against Gloucester and if Mermoz arrives he would take Roberts place. Let's see how our youngsters perform again next week against Saracens before making any final commitments.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I agree with Noddy ! He is the best 2 at the Club and adds something special to the side - enthusiasm !
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Noddy555 wrote:For me Thacker is the best No. 2 we have at the club currently although Mcguigan did do well when he came on apart from his line out throws which deteriorated noticeably when he took over from Thacker. As for getting isolated that's not Thacker's fault more the other players who should have been on his shoulder. Moreover He is a try scoring number 2 and he proved it again Yesterday. The other
Young lads did well especially Harry Wells and Roberts but I think it's too soon to blood any of the others against Gloucester and if Mermoz arrives he would take Roberts place. Let's see how our youngsters perform again next week against Saracens before making any final commitments.
mmmm lineout throwing, that's a pretty important skill for a hooker I think
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
DC1989

Post by DC1989 »

How good was Harry Wells on Saturday? He was brilliant away at Bath earlier in the competition and on Saturday he carried well, offloaded, made his tackles and went well in the line-out.

Surely he is ready to be given greater exposure in the league fixtures.......
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I agree with DC1989 re Harry Wells, I thought our second row played superbly on Saturday. I also thought Harry Thacker, Will Evans and Luke Hamilton had great games in the forwards. In the backs Jack Roberts had a good game and Jonno Kitto showed good ability, although he is still our third choice scrum half he is improving and closing the gap.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Wells looks good. We really do have some outstanding second row options.
DC1989

Post by DC1989 »

Agreed Iain, an embarrassment of riches
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I have watched the reply of the game. Always better viewing when you know the score and we win..less tense!!
I think the main difference was the heart and desire shown by all the players.
There has been a lot of comments on our recruitment, not always positive, but kudos for the purchase of Hamilton. He looks like an immense player and gives it all. Really rate him.
Having Barrow back was a lift. He is a monster who again plays to the limit and full on. Both him and Hamilton are the future of Tigers pack I think. Throw in Wells, Evans and some more senior players our pack has some great options. We need a number 8 that is for sure, but that is for another thread.
The subject of Thacker, I would sign him up for another few years. I really rate him. He is a live wire and due to his height, he appears more difficult for opponents to take down. Against albeit limited opposition, our scrum looked good with him in it. He breaks the first tackle and make good metres.
I fully understand the fact he isn't as powerful, but he makes up for that with his ability around the park.
Great to see Croft back. He looked fit.

Really pleased with the result and the squad players. Not great but not a pasting that I like others thought was coming.
There is never any points for 2nd place...