"Captain?" Tom Youngs report.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BustersGonads

Re: "Captain?" Tom Youngs report.

Post by BustersGonads »

:smt023

Totally agree, if professional players need motivating at 0-38 on their home turf.......the problem lies much deeper that TY skills with the ref!!!
I'll have a pint of Tiger and a packet of scratchings please!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I don't think Slater would be a replacement. When we have Barrow, Mike Williams and Kitchener who play the same position, he isn't a guarantee starter.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ellis9,don't agree with that ellis9. Slater is first choice lock for me along with Barrow. Kitchener should be bench lock,superb in the lineout and quick but misses a lot of tackles. Williams should be covering 6 along with Fitzy who has been ridiculously playing lock this season when he was our best forward from blindside last season. Slater should definitely be our captain,TY is useless with refs,worse than Stephen Moore!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
spongebillybob1
Tiger Cub

Post by spongebillybob1 »

jgriffin wrote:
bc wrote:IMO, captaincy is not for him. He is no where near the player of 4 years ago that saw cement a Lions place. He should step down and focus on his form etc and bring back Slater as skip. Remember, there was a whisper that Slater could be a future England captain when he lead the midweek side in NZ before injury.
Slater due to re-sign? And has not? Anyone know?
He would be my choice as captain.
He hasn't resigned this year because....... He resigned last year!!!!!!!!!!!!! And for more than one season! I'm sick of hearing why isn't Slater resigning the answer is because he isn't out of contract!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott1 wrote:Ellis9,don't agree with that ellis9. Slater is first choice lock for me along with Barrow. Kitchener should be bench lock,superb in the lineout and quick but misses a lot of tackles. Williams should be covering 6 along with Fitzy who has been ridiculously playing lock this season when he was our best forward from blindside last season. Slater should definitely be our captain,TY is useless with refs,worse than Stephen Moore!
I disagree. All 4 locks are very good. It depends on the opposition to which 2 of the 4 we play. We may have a run of 4 games where we want Kitchener with Barrow or Williams meaning if Slater was captain, we would be without our captain for 4 games in a row. This is why I wouldn't pick him. That's not to say he isn't up to the job, just may not be in the team often enough. You could have him as club captain though.

I think it's a bit harsh blaming Tom Youngs on recent results. When Slater was captain we never win a trophy either.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think we can cut some slack to Barrow and Williams who have just returned from long term injuries out locks and back row players have largely not been at the races this season. Occasional "good" performance from Slater has made him stand out from most of the the others who have been looking like lost lambs.
McCaffrey is the only one who had given the impression he is up for the challenge.