Re: Tigers DOR rumours.

Post by DC1989 »

Thanks, Nod.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

A colleague from Cape Town emailed me to say he had heard Nick Mallett was interested despite his age (60). He certainly has experience in top class Rugby & coaching.
Is this when Noddy responds to Timmy Mallet? :smt042
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Wormus Noddy only responds when he has something useful to say. This coach would be an intriguing appointment.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Noddy555 wrote:Wormus Noddy only responds when he has something useful to say. This coach would be an intriguing appointment.

Does that mean we will be seeing fewer posts from you in future, Noddy, or more?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Would love to have Mallett.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

It needs a Mallet or a White, who would be strong enough to say to Cohen and the board don't interfere with the rugby stuff
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

What should change is the willingness to realise that to make Tigers great again does not require a Tigers first policy in selecting a new DoR, Coach, or sticking with a traditional Tigers set up.

The rugby world has moved on, and remember inbreeding does not produce good DNA. We need to tap into a new gene pool. That is the change required. My fear is that we will repeat the mistake of Dwyer, Loffreda, and Meyer. They failed not because they were poor coaches, rather that isolationists in the club rejected any notion that anyone knew anything better that someone with Tigers DNA.

Perhaps we had to reach the nadir of Munster (A), Glasgow (A and H) and Racing (A), with Wasps and Sarries doing the double on us to realise new ideas need to be welcomed not rejected.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Apart from the report on Slater the following interview with Dan Cole and the malaise + DOR make interesting reading. Honest Dan! - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... onent.html
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

rdracup wrote:What should change is the willingness to realise that to make Tigers great again does not require a Tigers first policy in selecting a new DoR, Coach, or sticking with a traditional Tigers set up.

The rugby world has moved on, and remember inbreeding does not produce good DNA. We need to tap into a new gene pool. That is the change required. My fear is that we will repeat the mistake of Dwyer, Loffreda, and Meyer. They failed not because they were poor coaches, rather that isolationists in the club rejected any notion that anyone knew anything better that someone with Tigers DNA.

Perhaps we had to reach the nadir of Munster (A), Glasgow (A and H) and Racing (A), with Wasps and Sarries doing the double on us to realise new ideas need to be welcomed not rejected.
Question was Meyer really a failure?
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

RagingBull wrote:
rdracup wrote:What should change is the willingness to realise that to make Tigers great again does not require a Tigers first policy in selecting a new DoR, Coach, or sticking with a traditional Tigers set up.

I thought the circumstances of his leaving were very odd, and never fully explained. Did he come up against entrenched Tigers "DNA" or was it something else. Not sure we will ever know.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

If we get any of Mallet, White or Deans I'd be happy
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I guess we may never be sure as to why he left.
If the family reasons quoted were not just a smokescreen than we have to accept that.
Conspiracy theorists may wonder if the same factors that saw the demise of Loffredo may too have come to play.
However that season saw the start of our seemingly aimless kicking game - was that his game plan? Was that all he thought he could do with the squad he had or was it Cockers initial game plan after Meyer had departed?

Not sure Meyer would be top of my list; wasn't that impressed with how he had South Africa playing. (Although the players he had to select from would not be considered SA's finest vintage)
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

rdracup wrote:
RagingBull wrote:

I thought the circumstances of his leaving were very odd, and never fully explained. Did he come up against entrenched Tigers "DNA" or was it something else. Not sure we will ever know.

Both of his wife's parents were unfortunately diagnosed as being very ill - I can assure you that his leaving was not political or indeed Rugby related. It's also on record that he would come back and do consultancy with the club even as Springboks coach - where Tom Youngs personally thanked him for his hand in converting him to a hooker.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

wormus wrote:Apart from the report on Slater the following interview with Dan Cole and the malaise + DOR make interesting reading. Honest Dan! - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... onent.html
Interesting that he sees Mauger as an outsider.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Mark62 wrote:Simply a 15 man game. Look at all the teams that have qualified for the last 8 of Europe and without exception they field sides where from 1- 15 they are comfortable with ball in hand, I don't think we have that. We can no longer physically intimidate and overwhelm the opposition.
To use New Zealand as an example, they don't do intricate moves and run double dummy scissors. They keep the ball, they show patience and every player, no matter what number he has on is back is comfortable with the ball even if it's a prop in an outside channel.
IMHO that is what we need to aim for
This critically underplays what New Zealand do - yes they have enough skills to have everyone comfortable on the ball in every channel but they're also an international team with an entire domestic system aimed at generating a winning national team - even if you remove that fact saying "We want to be like New Zealand - who don't run fancy moves (they do) but have every player comfortable in every position". bit of a big ask.

As for the current options - White has to be the preference. I'd also be pretty happy with Robbie Deans who's club record speaks for itself.