We need to invest more money in the team! - None available

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: We need to invest more money in the team!

Post by Crumblies »

ABClub wrote:
spongebillybob1 wrote:Can I just point out I never said a thing about needing new players. The players we have SHOULD be good enough! What we actually need is some good experienced coaches who actually know what they are doing. Aaron maguer had only been coaching for about 3 year before he came to tigers! We need experience! Like I said to begin with Vern Cotter from Scotland.
Cotter is going to Montpellier on a 3 year deal for 'more than 3 million Euros', so around £2.5 million over 3 years.
Ok 'Gazump the beggars' if that's what it takes, it's what it takes. I'm sick of hearing this 'we can't afford it nonsense. The old saying hold's true, it's not whether you can afford to do something, it's can you afford not to. Can we afford to have the dross that was doled out last night and paying punters booing and leaving in droves at halftime?. No good having a 26 000 stadium with only
10 000 in it.

The latest fiasco seems to be the signing of Mermoz, a second string Tulon, ex french international at best, appears to be holding us to ransom or rather his agent does. How badly do we want him? if we want him then you pay the price. Sarries etc would have bitten this bullet when Tamua was injured after 2 games and Tuilagi was on long term sick leave. Into the bargain they would not have just lined up Mermoz, they would have scoured the world and had two or three options, then given Mermoz's agent the ultimatum this is our final, final offer take it or leave it, sign today or we move on to other options.

Other difficult decisions need to be taken, rumour has it we have players called Rizzo, Brugnara, Balmain, etc consuming part of our salary cap anyone seen them play? I've been to most games and don't recall seeing these in the first team. If you have dead wood, cut it out, it's not personal it's business. If you have players at loggerheads with the coaches, and you have given that coach responsibility, you need to support him by showing them the door.

And of course before you start with the playing staff take a good hard look at the salaries being consumed by the CEO and the board. Simon Cohen may be a good lawyer but my perception from outside is he has no more idea about Rugby and the vision for a businesses future than I do.

That's my take on Austin Healey's tweeted comments yesterday.

Last but by no means least I came home from the game yesterday and watched the comments after the game. I the knives are out now for Mauger, but did people see his face & eyes. He looked totally shattered. How can he be expected to succeed, the board have now left him well and truly in the lurch, the coach he wanted and brought with him has been sacked with no replacement, he is now in charge with three rookie coaches, none with proven experience of coaching, and none with experience outside Leicester. We lose a DOR, what do they do promote our A team forwards coach to defence coach, while they carry out a 3 month review.

Clueless absolutely clueless, shambles doesn't begin to describe it
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

What we need to do is put severely injured players who have no chance of appearing again during 2017 on some sort of parking leave by introducing into their contracts a non playing cause which restricts their earnings and reduces our financial obligations to them. Then with the money saved we can strengthen the squad as needs be. We can always approach these players with a take it or leave it clause even if it descends to legal proceedings.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

You don't know much about contracts Noddy, do you.
When a player is contracted you pay him his full salary, like it or not.
Injured playing or training , the club still pays and quite rightly too.
What professional player would accept a deal which would have him financially
disadvantaged by injury?
Putting them out to grass for long term injury is no different, they still have
to pay their bills. The deal would have to be with the salary cap.
If you want to attract top players here, the deal has to cover this or they won't come.
It would be useful to buck the trend and get them injury free at the start .
A life long Tiger
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Smudge I spent the best part of 20 years in senior positions in the travel business I've negotiated more contracts than you have hot dinners, if the Tigers board has not introduced non playing clauses into contracts then that alone is cause for their dismissal. The name of the game is Performance related pay any other type of contract is nonsensical in any Sports business, Take heed and learn oh indistinct one.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Come on Noddy this is not the Travel Industry, rugby is a game where players spend on average 25-30% of the time injured. It would be madness for any of the top players to accept a contract where they are not paid when injured.
Louis

Post by Louis »

drc_007 wrote:Come on Noddy this is not the Travel Industry, rugby is a game where players spend on average 25-30% of the time injured. It would be madness for any of the top players to accept a contract where they are not paid when injured.
Even more than this, think about what it would encourage. Players faking recovery in order to play. That would lead to more serious, longer term injuries. It's the worst possible solution.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

As I tried to clarify recently, the standard PRL players' contract does have separate sections for basic salary, match fees and extras. To assume they aren't already in place is very naive. I'm not aware of any club that pays its players that does it differently. It's also similar to practices in all of the industries with which I'm familiar.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

I don't know what the players contracts say re not playing so i can't comment. Can the enlightened in here confirm what's in them? Otherwise what's the point of this?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Who would sign for a team that won't pay you when injured when there is a significant likelihood your job will result in injuries?

Injuries are a direct consequence of your job be that playing or training and it is not unreasonable to expect to be paid for the spells in rehab. It's not as if they could get insurance for short term absences as the cost would be prohibitive.

Do the Army not pay their servicemen when injured?
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

spongebillybob1 wrote:
Tigersunited wrote:We saved £8m to spend on the RHS? What do you mean sponge bob?

In terms of top class players, we are spending up to the cap so it's not splashing the cash just spending it on different players? Surely?
I mean we saved £8m that's how much it cost, that means investment from sponsors! Which should go on players and training facilities. That's why it took so long for the robin hood stand to be built from the big stand! I say hold back a few years on further development and invest on good coaches and backroom staff.
The excellent new Robin Hood West Stand is a vast improvement on the previous building, incorporating new store, ticketing, serveries, head office administration and revenue streams of hospitality & extra disabled & sectored seating - against the previous removable metal stand. The construction was delayed due to contractor change and underground workings that only surfaced once the demolition was completed.This stand now generates significant income for the club and is a capital asset.The Granby Hall project as others state is a once in a lifetime opportunity to own the freehold and develop another capital asset to generate all year income and not seasonal, a very good move which will supplement future expenditure ie. increases in the salary cap too.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Tigersunited wrote:I don't know what the players contracts say re not playing so i can't comment. Can the enlightened in here confirm what's in them? Otherwise what's the point of this?
There is a standard form player contract, not difficult to find, revised in 2016 that says salary will be paid monthly in 12 equal amounts, agent fees are itemised separately as are bonuses such as match fees and performance incentives. What the splits are will vary from player to player especially where a player has the clout or agent to significantly effect his overall package. It's the same as most places; I sometimes wonder how you lot manage to earn a living (insert appropriate smilie). You're right Tigersutd, there's not much point in this but some seem to think rugby players' contract are drawn up by a particularly slow five year old (pick another smilie).
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Isn't this topic a pointless one if I am right in assuming Leicester do spend up to the salary cap!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

BFG wrote:Isn't this topic a pointless one if I am right in assuming Leicester do spend up to the salary cap!
Spongebob did specify better coaches/equipment in the OP. I don't know about a supercoach or DOR but there may certainly be room to improve the existing infrastructure and coaching team.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

drc-7 I'm not saying don't pay them, you will find that most contracts with top players in Soccer have multi layers when it comes to injury with a minimum payment when long term injury sets in and they have to miss a season, that still may be something like £30,000 per week but as opposed to £100,000 or more when they're actively playing and still more in win bonuses, it is still quite a drop if such clauses weren't in contracts you would find many more clubs going out of business.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Noddy555 wrote:drc-7 I'm not saying don't pay them, you will find that most contracts with top players in Soccer have multi layers when it comes to injury with a minimum payment when long term injury sets in and they have to miss a season, that still may be something like £30,000 per week but as opposed to £100,000 or more when they're actively playing and still more in win bonuses, it is still quite a drop if such clauses weren't in contracts you would find many more clubs going out of business.
And you know that rugby players don't have these clauses because...?