TigerMac3 wrote:First post but feel like this is a good place to start!
Isn't the issue not the lack of cash, but how the cash that was available has been spent? The recruitment strategy the previous 12-18 months has been shocking. The lack of a quality no.8 is criminal, don't forget that we released 3 ball carrying 8's and recruited an Argentinian chap I've yet to even see carry the tackle bags. Add the rentention of M Tait when a world class 15 was needed, plus the huge sums quoted for JPP; were we really crying out for a winger, regardless of pedigree. We're yet to see any ROI from Rizzo, Cilliers etc.
If we're spending up to the limit of the cap, then fine, but make sure were spending the cash on the required quality.
Sounded like him and Goneva where on the same wedge.
We needed an experiance first choice winger really esp with Veainu playing at full back.
Tom Tom wrote:IMHO the slide began when Dusty defected to Saints.
Dusty was our scout and found some very talented unknowns some for the playing side but most for the academy. Am I right in saying that the backbone of our team until the last few years came from the academy and they had been brought in already moulded to the Tigers ethos?
Hare didn't help himself too much though and Interestingly Saints fans are having the same problem as us despite having share involved.
The academy situation in my eyes should be fairly simple to fix.
1) Stop scouting the private schools as the main source of players. (Nothing wrong with them but they is so much more untapped talent out there)
2) spend more on scouting the clubs around the area, we have a huge catchment but we don't seem to use it.
3) Pay the players, The game is pro now and Youngsters have agents who will get them better deals elsewhere. Umaga would still be with us if Cohen (or someone) had paid him the money he was worth and shown him our direction we want to take with him.
4) try and loan more players to Championship teams in the senior academy leave the junior academy players for the lions and South etc. Maybe see if it is possible to loan them to outside comps like ITM, Aus or Currie cup teams for experiance outside Leicester.
5) Stop using the academy coaching job as jobs for the lads, Some players suit being coaches and it is a good step players like Deacon, Allen and Newby for example but other don't.
This requires money but it shouldn't be hard.