Open post to the players

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

scrum1/2
Top Cat
Top Cat

Open post to the players

Post by scrum1/2 »

Having been a Tigers fan and season ticket holder for many years it saddens me to admit that my wife and I left the game at half time today as having sat through the last 2 games I felt that the team are not fulfilling their professional responsibilities. I'm more than happy to support the team through thick and thin so long as I see that the players are trying to win the game and playing with pride in the shirt. However for the last few games this has not been the case. No matter what is happening in the background the players have a responsibility to put in the effort and spirit that is expected for any player in a Tigers shirt. We have some great players and some good players but this counts for nothing if they don't play with the pride and passion that comes with being a Tigers player. I'm sure some people on here will say that it's not just the players but they are the ones that run out onto the pitch and must take responsibility for their own performances. I cannot give my support to a team who do not appear to be trying and whilst we support the team the team have to give us something to support. Over the next few weeks I really don't care how the results go as long as I can see some passion reappearing in the displays because at the moment this is not evident. I'm sure that the team won't read this but it's time to stop with the corporate ******** and get back to playing basic passionate rugby that we can all get behind.
Sabre Tiger

Re: Open post to the players

Post by Sabre Tiger »

I largely agree but have to credit Glasgow and the other teams that have beaten us recently to an extent...that aside it was a performance well well below what we should have expected and whereas in the past the pride of the club has got us through some tight games if we don't have that then it's a bleak outlook indeed. I think we have some very good players but not great players..a much over used term. Johnson, Back, Moody, Murphy, Healy, etc..were great players..our skipper is a decent hooker but so one dimensional it's untrue..teams read him easily. Athletic players like Harry Thacker who can kick a ball out of hand and go left or right at pace is where our game should be going not down the same old turgid style of going into contact with the ball time and time again. Anyway it's no good living in the past and I shall be there on Saturday to get behind what ever team takes to the field. I have just about enough confidence left in the club to take this last result as a big wake up call and get things sorted.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

When things go wrong we all look for a reason why, we look for things and or people to blame.
I really do think the players, who, collectively get paid the multi million pound salary cap need to stand up and be counted, Take responsibility and show they have pride in themselves and the club.
Cmon lads, ill be there Saturday. I'll cheer and not boo so just please show some passion. Are you up for it??
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Having been a STH for 13 years and a sporadic attender before that, I didn't leave at halftime, didn't boo and applauded the Warriors players who came past. for those who hanker after some golden past, I'll just mention finals and Sale.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

My mate and I are long distance travellers to Tigers' matches. Both season ticket holders of many years, I travel a 125 mile round trip and my mate a 325 mile round trip. As well as the cost of our season tickets, we also have to finance our petrol and parking fees to get to matches. We are both OAP's. We do it because we love it. However, if the players cannot be bothered to put the effort in and wear the shirt with pride and passion, we may follow suit.

As an aside why do we start paying our direct debits for the following season well before the current season has finished?
Give blood, play rugby!!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Having been a fan since 1975 all I would want to say to the current squad is this{
Remember it is a privilege to don a Tigers shirt in my mind equal to that of putting on an international jersey of your country and remember too the greats who have gone before and look in the mirror and say to yourself I wear this shirt with pride, and repeat that everytime you run onto the field of play.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

jgriffin wrote:Having been a STH for 13 years and a sporadic attender before that, I didn't leave at halftime, didn't boo and applauded the Warriors players who came past. for those who hanker after some golden past, I'll just mention finals and Sale.
I was there for that final (and several others Tigers lost) and none of them way anywhere near as bad as the current omni-shambles of a team that is masquerading as Tigers at the moment.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Quite ironic that you blame the players of giving up/not trying/lacking pride yet you gave up and walked out on them when they needed you the most.

Like JG I stayed to the bitter end, I didnt boo, felt heartbroken at what I saw, applauded the skills that Glasgow showed.
I watched Freddie Burns in the dying seconds dive on a loose ball with boots flying to try and stop Glasgow scoring at the death which would have taken then beyond 50 points. Freddie had not given up and I was there to watch him even though the clock had gone red!

Clearly there are things wrong both on and off the pitch but walking out after a few bad performances is not right. Perhaps you have been spoilt over the years. You shared in the glory but not willing to share the pain. I was there when Brive took apart Martin Johnson et all, when Lander robbed us against Bath, when Wasps took away what was ours etc. I was there in Paris and there when Back used his head against Munster. I sat and froze everything off against Glasgow and come hell or high water I will be there against Saints next week and even if we ship 50 points against them I will be back for the next game. I have been going since one man and his dog stood on the mound and will be there when the Crumbie, members stand and the captains bar and club house end are a long and distant memory.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Doghashadhisday wrote:I have been going since one man and his dog stood on the mound and will be there when the Crumbie, members stand and the captains bar and club house end are a long and distant memory.
:smt023 +1 (and it was a young lad with his puppy when I was on the mound - and the Members' stand has gone!)
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Ian S
Tiger Cub

Post by Ian S »

Doghashadhisday wrote:Quite ironic that you blame the players of giving up/not trying/lacking pride yet you gave up and walked out on them when they needed you the most.

Like JG I stayed to the bitter end, I didnt boo, felt heartbroken at what I saw, applauded the skills that Glasgow showed.
I watched Freddie Burns in the dying seconds dive on a loose ball with boots flying to try and stop Glasgow scoring at the death which would have taken then beyond 50 points. Freddie had not given up and I was there to watch him even though the clock had gone red!

Clearly there are things wrong both on and off the pitch but walking out after a few bad performances is not right. Perhaps you have been spoilt over the years. You shared in the glory but not willing to share the pain. I was there when Brive took apart Martin Johnson et all, when Lander robbed us against Bath, when Wasps took away what was ours etc. I was there in Paris and there when Back used his head against Munster. I sat and froze everything off against Glasgow and come hell or high water I will be there against Saints next week and even if we ship 50 points against them I will be back for the next game. I have been going since one man and his dog stood on the mound and will be there when the Crumbie, members stand and the captains bar and club house end are a long and distant memory.
A few bad performances,what's your definition of a few?