Youngs brothers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Youngs brothers

Post by Mark62 »

It does make you wonder what is going on with them, and how involved they are with recent goings on. I seem to remember that there was a game before Christmas where neither appeared in the match day squad without any apparent explanation.
I'm fairly sure that Cole has recently joined the extended family too.
grobyman

Post by grobyman »

Mark62 wrote:It does make you wonder what is going on with them, and how involved they are with recent goings on. I seem to remember that there was a game before Christmas where neither appeared in the match day squad without any apparent explanation.
I'm fairly sure that Cole has recently joined the extended family too.
As is Tom Croft, he allegedly had food poisoning early December!

Comments have been mad re Tom Youngs having personal issues off the field, I do not want to know what these are (his wife was ill around two years ago?) this should be priority for him, he is much happier driving a tractor!! He should take time out. Neither of the brothers are on good form at the moment Tom is trying too hard and his frustration is :censored: off team mates and more importantly referees, I think both need reflection time. (Assume that YBY will be away with England from now for a few weeks?). Let's get back to basic fundamentals, build a core of 'hungry individuals' who have aspirations in keeping the shirt, Saints have similar issues they appear to have undropables. Strong leadership is needed from the management team and make these choices, senior players do not have the right to wear the shirt, I want to see people who demonstrate skill desire and passion , last Saturday there were 3/4 that may have fallen into this category, most of those were replacements in the second half.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I don't think it's fair to be speculating as to what's going on away from the pitch for them. I honestly know nothing and am happy for it to stay that way.

What I would say is Tom looks to be struggling with the captaincy and Ben looks a shadow of the player who plays for England. I don't think it's all their fault, but it is an issue within our recent performances.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Iain, I was simply making an observation, and I like you want to know nothing of their personal lives.

On the pitch however the success or failure of a side depends on the spine of the team, numbers 2, 8,9,10 and 15. As things stand at the moment the Youngs brothers occupy 2 of those positions and we are lacking in any real quality in the other 3
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

If your forwards are not functioning then your 1/2 backs cannot deliver - simple. Ben plays well for England because he has a pack of forwards that give him the space and time to deliver. The Tigers do not have that ability at the moment
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
BustersGonads

Post by BustersGonads »

Iain wrote:I don't think it's fair to be speculating as to what's going on away from the pitch for them. I honestly know nothing and am happy for it to stay that way.
Totally agree, none of our business!!!
I'll have a pint of Tiger and a packet of scratchings please!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Also for England he has runners to pass the ball to.

For Tigers he has a line of static players who wait for the ball before running.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Ben youngs being class for England and woeful for us is more of an indicator of the players around him more than himself for me...he has always been poor on the back foot

As for Tom Youngs he seems to have an awful relationship with refs and always on the wrong side of them so for me is not captain material..I think he has looked a shadow of his former self this season and him playing for the Lions as in 2013 couldn't seem further away...

I think they are both just akin to the fortunes of the Tigers at present
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I have to disagree about scrum has not being able to perform unless given an armchair ride. A top scrum half does perform, even under pressure. First and foremost get your pass away fast and accurately. That is exactly how a team with a weaker pack but good backs beat a team with a monster pack.

The best scrum half I ever saw live was George Gregan. I particularly remember the second test against the Lions in Melbourne. 1 nil down In the series, points down first half and Lions rampant. The Aussie pack where taking a pasting but the ball that Gregan was able to get out to set his backs on fire was amazing. He cleared the ruck with an electric pass which was always accurate. Some of the situations he got the ball out from was staggering. He did the simple things very very well and that is what you need your scrum half to do. This is exactly what Ben Youngs fails to do.

He is slow to the break down, slow to clear it and has one of the worst passes on the planet. His simply awful pass in the latter stages of the Saracens game cost us that match. His one skill was to run into gaps and he doesn't even do that anymore.

It is no suprise that our game always looks a faster pace the moment SAM Harrison arrives on the park.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Peter Stringer is not bad either!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

For those as old as me John Hipwell another Aussie
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Mark62 wrote:For those as old as me John Hipwell another Aussie
He scored a try in the first match I saw at Welford Road.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

For anyone who played 9 at lower levels it was a condition of contract; a necessary thing. At some point in the season a huge pack (The police, army, local steelworks, colliery) were going to shunt you backwards. The nimble, lightweight hooker got the ball back fast and the 9 got it away.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

mightymouse wrote:I have to disagree about scrum has not being able to perform unless given an armchair ride. A top scrum half does perform, even under pressure. First and foremost get your pass away fast and accurately. That is exactly how a team with a weaker pack but good backs beat a team with a monster pack.

The best scrum half I ever saw live was George Gregan. I particularly remember the second test against the Lions in Melbourne. 1 nil down In the series, points down first half and Lions rampant. The Aussie pack where taking a pasting but the ball that Gregan was able to get out to set his backs on fire was amazing. He cleared the ruck with an electric pass which was always accurate. Some of the situations he got the ball out from was staggering. He did the simple things very very well and that is what you need your scrum half to do. This is exactly what Ben Youngs fails to do.

He is slow to the break down, slow to clear it and has one of the worst passes on the planet. His simply awful pass in the latter stages of the Saracens game cost us that match. His one skill was to run into gaps and he doesn't even do that anymore.

It is no suprise that our game always looks a faster pace the moment SAM Harrison arrives on the park.
You are spot on!
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I remember Hipwell but sadly never saw him live, only oN TV. I never saw the great Gareth Edwards either. (Unless it was for the Baa Baas one Christmas and I was too drunk to recall it)