Is it now time to thank the board (and Mauger)?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Is it now time to thank the board (and Mauger)?

Post by BFG »

Crumblies wrote:BFG one persons considered opinion is another persons over reaction. I dare say you'll be saying next that the fans booing and leaving at half time was an over reaction and absolutely nothing to do with Richard Cockerill.
They pays their money and are entitled to do as they wish (within reason), it could have an impact and make the players realise there is more at stake than petty differences, and that they will rise or fall together!
Even the one's who might be leaving have a job to do and a reputation to keep, their new fans will be watching with interest!
I'd add although it was a shocking performance by Tigers standards on Saturday there still is much to play for, with respect I doubt we will face a team as good as Glasgow until the Premiership play offs, if we reach them, then try and prepare as best we can for the next time we face a team as good as Glasgow.
Otherwise we can just let it all crumble and everyone loses!
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

Dear fellow Leicester Tigers supporters,

I fully understand the deep frustrations, and a 'right' to express them, especially if perhaps one invests £400+ each season in a ST. We hope that we will be heard. But surely, slagging off each other and - after the initial disappointment - the players is hardly constructive, it's not going to achieve anything, but rather is likely to make everyone feel worse.

Think of your own daily life. Surely, when things are going wrong, that is when you/we/I/they need encouragement the most?!

Personally, I hope that we get behind the SHOP FLOOR, the players and those who coach them. These are who the Club have got for the time being, there is no obvious cavalry of world class DOR, coaches and players waiting in the wings, and the Cap (players) wouldn't stand it, even there were.

For those who say "Cockers was DOR", well yes, but very clearly the post currently exists within a controlling and constrained structure, the DOR clearly isn't head honcho.

The 'rot' is at the higher organisational level, the Chairman, Board and CEO, who certainly since 2009 and the opening of the grand CAT stand, have complacently sat on their (the Club's) laurels and concerned themselves with showy infrastructure and turning our lovely family Club into a corporate express train.

Yes, there are serious concerns about fund raising, but the direction has gone way off track. Meanwhile, under the current Board - exactly how much relevant, current rugby knowledge is there on the Board? - the whole thing, from JCT upward, and especially the playing, has season by season become stale and by rote, and in urgent need of refreshing.

There are lots of 'tells'.

The Board behaves as if there aren't fans who know about either rugby or business. #VictorianPaternalism.

It's hard to see what's going on from inside the Hostility Suite. There's too much key to the executive washroom mentality. I'd require the Board - and *players in fact - mingle in with the fans, at least on a rota basis. *Good to see Kitchener in FW after game. Wasn't mobbed. His space with his group was respected.

Take down the soccer-esque player names over the jerseys/pegs in the changing room, replace with Letters and a typed team sheet. Underplay the cult of personality, build up the UNIT. It worked for the Spartans.

And even when it hasn't got a sponsor, calling the Crumbie Stand the 'South Stand' - what's that about?! The nerve. The curse on the Club definitely won't be lifted until the memory of Tom Crumbie is rightfully restored!

In a Club that likes to trade on family ethos (sorry, we are long overhauled by such as Exeter now) is banning kids from their little runaround on the pitch after the match, sowing dreams and aspiration amongst the new generation, truly subordinate to never being allowed near a fancy plastic reinforced turf? Balancing needs?

Far from 'family club', everything possible is being done to fumigate and de-personalise it.

'Hospitality' packages that no typical supporter will ever be able to afford per head, let alone per table of 10, whilst the food and drink and merch are outsourced to lousy corporate providers who couldn't really care whether it was Leicester Tigers or any other Club as long as there's a good buck in it for them ...

For the long term answer, then THAT is where the questioning should happen, rather than start at the symptom, the playing, because the ethos at the 'top' sets up the feel of the whole show.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

Fantastic post JWM :smt023

Particularly like the Crumbie reference. How difficult would it be for the board to take the decision to restore the name Crumbie Terrace tomorrow. Give us back some soul, some pride!

I could also add restore the Old Leicester RFC badge.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Crumblies wrote:Fantastic post JWM :smt023

Particularly like the Crumbie reference. How difficult would it be for the board to take the decision to restore the name Crumbie Terrace tomorrow. Give us back some soul, some pride!

I could also add restore the Old Leicester RFC badge.
They could, but it would just cause more upset when it gets a sponsor's name in a few months. It would be nice if it was still the Crumbie, but a sponsor's name brings us money. And to be fair, who amongst us doesn't call it the Crumbie anyway?
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I can't see why both names can't be used like say for example the BT Crumbie Stand
or The Cadbury Crumbie stand. In that way the sponsor would be getting their name and brand out there whilst still pandering to tradition.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

The board has a good balance of commercial and rugby experience. It certainly does not need sacking and Mauger needs to lead us until the process of review and process appointing DoR successor and role change perhaps is complete.

Cohen's interview in Leic merc - see Business Model thread answers many points made here
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

rdracup wrote:The board has a good balance of commercial and rugby experience. It certainly does not need sacking and Mauger needs to lead us until the process of review and process appointing DoR successor and role change perhaps is complete.

Cohen's interview in Leic merc - see Business Model thread answers many points made here
This is a straight answer to those unable to separate playing accounts from capital investments on stands, Granby Hotel, new pitch, training centre etc.
A frank but possibly belated response and reference to the Fans Forum & media.
A must read for those financial doubters, now onwards & upwards and Mermoz asap.
:- http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/leice ... story.html :smt001
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The performance against Glasgow was a low, low point.

Tempting to blame injuries isn't it however we should think back to the night Tigers beat South Africa with a host of A team players and even the odd one drafted in from Notts!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

mol2 wrote:The performance against Glasgow was a low, low point.

Tempting to blame injuries isn't it however we should think back to the night Tigers beat South Africa with a host of A team players and even the odd one drafted in from Notts!
Fair point actually, I hadn't thought about it like that. That game didn't technically matter in so far as it was a friendly. There were a lot of fringe players playing - and yet we played like it mattered, the crowd got fully into it, we won and it felt like the best thing ever.

On Saturday we had a game that didn't matter, one or two fringe players in through injuries. We played like it didn't matter, the crowd hated what they saw and it felt like we were at our lowest ebb.

Contrast the attitudes for two meaningless games and look at how it shapes overall morale.