Are Tigers days as one of rugby's giants coming to an end?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Are Tigers days as one of rugby's giants coming to an en

Post by baz1664 »

nasher wrote:The coaching, recruitment and management needed a change but sacking Cockers was not the answer.
Getting rid of Cockers was exactly what was needed, he has been the rudder of this sinking ship for the past three season, its just time to clear out the rest including the boys at the top, club has become a shambles from top to bottom!!
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

We are taking tough decisions now that are moving us backwards in the short term and will allow us to rebuild and get back to being a giant.
Louis

Post by Louis »

No. But my guess is things will get worse before they get better. It's apparent the mid-season sacking of Cockers has been destablising. It wasn't good before he went. It's utter bobbins* now.

* For more profane, but accurate sentiments please kick a Glaswegian in the winkle and observe the words used. Substitute as appropriate.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

As the rugby giant - yes but I do not see another side doing the same given the way club sides are run and the game is played these days?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Already at an end IMHO. Unless our academy starts to improve and provide players who care about the shirt not money we will have no success for the foreseeable future.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Re: Are Tigers days as one of rugby's giants coming to and e

Post by Phil B »

Phil B wrote:
mightymouse wrote:Its just time to be honest
Let's just at least be honest about it!

I agree with most of this, but have a problem with the idea that any Board member could actually come out and say that the emphasis of the Club has been targeted at ground redevelopment, and dos (misspelling) the consequences for the team. (Even if they thought that the team might suffer, short term).

For me, the definition of where the club is, playing wise, will be the performance on Saturday. Glasgow will be all out to win, as a second place qualification is possible. Can we stop them? If we don't, then sadly, I think we have confirmed our current, second rate status. Winning doesn't change too much, of course, except to confirm there is still hope for this team.
We have now confirmed our status as a second rate Rugby outfit. I hope we can't slide even further down the greasy pole.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Sabre Tiger

Post by Sabre Tiger »

I agree with so much of the above as there has been a huge lack of investment in quality players in the last few years in favour of ground development (which at least is something to be proud of). We have really needed these recent disastrous results to bring things into focus as we've been deluded in recent seasons about being in the mix for silverware. Unfortunately unless we spend some serious money on players then things will continue. We can't compete with teams that 'manipulate' the wage cap and are prepared to go into the red, but what else can we do? We have never paid top money because we could induce players to sign to win silverware but as we now don't pay the money or give the chance of winning anymore we are living on past glories and history alone.

Less than half of the team that played yesterday were anywhere near good enough to pull on a first team shirt and it was a very lamentable performance to say the least. If I were Peter Tom I would have had the whole of the staff, playing and non playing down at the ground this morning at 7am for a serious rallying talk because if it goes pear shaped against Saints on Saturday it will be an absolute disaster.

The final straw for Cockers was the bitter pill of seeing a smaller club (Sarries) turning up with a fantastic quality squad far and away superior to ours, and that is the measure of how we have let things slip. Bodies on the line on Saturday at the very least and a win by whatever means to restore a bit of pride please.