Are Tigers days as one of rugby's giants coming to an end?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Are Tigers days as one of rugby's giants coming to and e

Post by BFG »

L Smith wrote:
BFG wrote:Didn't think much of it myself, especially the wondering how much Coley has got, only an idiot who has no idea what it takes to be a tight head at any level let alone in our current environment would spout that sort of rubbish!
The rest is just mildly stating the bleeding obvious!
Unnecessary.
Slot yourself in at No3 at local level for 80 and then come back and tell me!
What Coley has done and continues to do even more so if you consider all the circumstances deserves more respect.
Edited for the more sensitive.
Last edited by BFG on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

[quote="ourla

Non corporate poor match day experience is second rate and seem to not be a priority[/quote]

I suspect it will remain so while the attendances and season ticket holder levels remain similar to where they are at present. If, however, attendances drop and ST levels fall the club may finally sit up and take notice and improve things like the catering.

I agree with the assessment in the rest of your post and unlike others don't believe you were questioning or disrespecting Dan Cole. Merely asking the reasonable question as to how long he can continue at the top class level he is currently at.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

voice of the crumbie
I suspect it will remain so while the attendances and season ticket holder levels remain similar to where they are at present. If, however, attendances drop and ST levels fall the club may finally sit up and take notice and improve things like the catering.

I agree with the assessment in the rest of your post and unlike others don't believe you were questioning or disrespecting Dan Cole. Merely asking the reasonable question as to how long he can continue at the top class level he is currently at.

Not unusual on here for a player who performs very well in his role to be questioned and then those who are incapable of performing their roles to the required standard get praise!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

BFG wrote:What Coley has done and continues to do even more so if you consider all the circumstances deserves more respect.
You've actually backed up the point I was making. He has played a lot of hard, top level rugby and will be 30 in May. The guy has been a legend for us, England and the Lions and I am sure he will continue to be in the short term. But my post was looking forward and thinking about the players we have that we will build our squad around over the next 2-3 years. I hope he continues to be one of those players but age catches up with everybody eventually and Coley has been pretty full on during his career. It's not disrespectful to consider he will wain physically at some point.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

BFG wrote:
jgriffin wrote:Blimey, excellent post Sir! :smt023
Didn't think much of it myself...The rest is just mildly stating the bleeding obvious!
You're right it wasn't anything new or hard to see but it was an attempt to summarise where we are at in one go and to try to create some structure to the conversation.
BFG wrote:I don't see much changing on hearing what AM has to say and on pitch affects everything off pitch.
It's the squad he built, what he didn't want was let go.
They'll keep plodding along, wasting large amounts of salary cap on players not worth it, sentimentally wishing that they were.
Oh his Dad was good, was he, I must've missed that as I recall he was just an amateur like the rest of us!
There will always be someone doing it better and perhaps a few more may also overtake us until the penny finally drops which could well be a very long time.
That is a very negative prognosis. Not saying it is wrong necessarily. But I am glad I don't feel that way.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

voice of the crumbie wrote:[quote="ourla]

Non corporate poor match day experience is second rate and seem to not be a priority
I suspect it will remain so while the attendances and season ticket holder levels remain similar to where they are at present. If, however, attendances drop and ST levels fall the club may finally sit up and take notice and improve things like the catering.[/quote][/quote][/quote]
I know what you are saying here and agree to a large extent. We are supposedly playing rubbish at the minute, haven't won anything for three seasons, have poor service/facilities and yet we sold in excess of 24k tickets for our last four home matches. Imagine what it would be like if they got things right! On the other hand it's quite clear we aren't financially rolling it so making money from the punters on game day you would have thought would help and secondly there is the intangible - that is to say, setting the standards and making the club a place that fans (home, away and neutral), players, coaches, staff all buy into.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ourla wrote:
voice of the crumbie wrote:[quote="ourla]

Non corporate poor match day experience is second rate and seem to not be a priority
[/quote][/quote]
I know what you are saying here and agree to a large extent. We are supposedly playing rubbish at the minute, haven't won anything for three seasons, have poor service/facilities and yet we sold in excess of 24k tickets for our last four home matches. Imagine what it would be like if they got things right! On the other hand it's quite clear we aren't financially rolling it so making money from the punters on game day you would have thought would help and secondly there is the intangible - that is to say, setting the standards and making the club a place that fans (home, away and neutral), players, coaches, staff all buy into.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
I don't drink at Tigers simply because I drive there but the catering and the merchandise is utterly :censored: poor, I partake of neither any more, and reflects badly on the club IMO. Having said that, there is to my perception a trend away from looking after the proles and towards corporate/pay £££ extra deals for the few - it's noticeable at Wuss and Exe, two venues I attend every year. STH has lost almost every perk except value-for-money rugby(despite what the doom-mongers say). I agree that the board might notice if ST sales fell off, as far as catering is concerned, long after the horse has bolted. A Bombay Bites franchise in the ground would clean up IMO :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Are Tigers days as one of rugby's giants coming to an en

Post by strawclearer »

A line from Mike Ford when asked about Toulon, past and present:

That legacy's gone. The Club needs to draw a line in the sand and say "listen...we're the contenders again...we're the hunters."

Just the attitude we need now.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Not convince Cole is past his best, less sure about Ayerza but it's hard to judge either when we largely play them with a small hooker.

We saw the impact of Jamie George coming on for England made to the scrum in recent internationals.
Hartley isn't the most powerful of scrummagers but powerful enough.

I don't doubt it took Cole a while to get back to full power after his neck surgery but he looks the part these days. Tom Youngs again hasn't seemed his old self after his back surgery and again the alternatives in Mcguigan and Thacker are lightweight in the scrum. The odd appearance from Van Vurren showed the difference a powerful hooker makes to the front row but he's gone and our resonse to the emergence of Bateman as a powerful scrummager was to turn him into a prop.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ourla wrote:
BFG wrote:What Coley has done and continues to do even more so if you consider all the circumstances deserves more respect.
You've actually backed up the point I was making. He has played a lot of hard, top level rugby and will be 30 in May. The guy has been a legend for us, England and the Lions and I am sure he will continue to be in the short term. But my post was looking forward and thinking about the players we have that we will build our squad around over the next 2-3 years. I hope he continues to be one of those players but age catches up with everybody eventually and Coley has been pretty full on during his career. It's not disrespectful to consider he will wain physically at some point.
I did a response and then deleted it as it become more clear after hearing some comments last night, wrote another and then deleted again after reading other views.
It's clear that the OP is a totally pointless debate.
It happens in cycles apparently, no-one knows why it just does. :smt017
Last edited by BFG on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I dare say those who support clubs that have been relegated, like Quinns and the Sinners thought their clubs had gone into terminal decline. Barf were our bogey side for years and they slumped, ditto the Pests down the road. Big money has brought the Sorries from also rans to the top, I will be surprised if that lasts for long(see a certain Manchester soccer team, indeed two of them that can't buy cups EVERY year).
Tigers are a big, well supported club with a tradition that will not evaporate overnight, even if the sugar daddy is just around the corner as keeps being intimated.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

No, only the haters think that.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tigersunited wrote:No, only the haters think that.
:smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
nasher

Post by nasher »

The coaching, recruitment and management needed a change but sacking Cockers was not the answer.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Big changes required...now. If we wait until we're ready, it'll be too late. It's not terminal.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives