Maxime Mermoz (centre, Toulon) close to join Leicester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Maxime Mermoz (centre, Toulon) close to join Leicester

Post by Tigerbeat »

Please keep the discussion on topic. The fact that someone knew before someone else is irrellevant to the discussion. The irrelevant posts have been removed.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

So Mermoz comes for three months then leaves for Falcons and in that time Tigers will have thrashed everyone and turned their season around? Seems just another revolving door signing and a case of hope over expectation to me. :smt017
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes Gk Totally agree it just another portrayal of short term remedy so easily favoured by this board. I think the big test will be whether we qualify for the European championships this season. If not then we will really see how loyal are sponsors are.
grobyman

Post by grobyman »

Can't get too stressed, will probably get a season ending injury first game, (I do really hope not!) that is about par for the course for our expensive back line.

I am normally a positive person unlike many on this forum, but am struggling to drag out of this malaise. I will be there Saturday, god only knows what the crowd response will be like if there is no response to last week!
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Since we've got our 2 marquee players back next Season(hopefully !) who are both centres , we probably need to use any spare dosh somewhere else - a No 8 perhaps .
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Noddy555 wrote:Yes Gk Totally agree it just another portrayal of short term remedy so easily favoured by this board.
You know that he's an injury dispensation signing to cover the absence of Manu and Toomua. He's not meant to be a long term solution as we have those 2 players as our long term plans :smt017

Or are you advocating getting someone mid season (thus buying them out of a contract) and also putting them onto a long contract? Then next year you can complain that we spend too much on our centres and we're lacking quality elsewhere.

For someone with "Tour operations director" with experience of "look[ing] at the long term over the next 5 years or even longer" you're doing an incredibly poor job of considering the return of other players
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:Yes Gk Totally agree it just another portrayal of short term remedy so easily favoured by this board.
You know that he's an injury dispensation signing to cover the absence of Manu and Toomua. He's not meant to be a long term solution as we have those 2 players as our long term plans :smt017

Or are you advocating getting someone mid season (thus buying them out of a contract) and also putting them onto a long contract? Then next year you can complain that we spend too much on our centres and we're lacking quality elsewhere.

For someone with "Tour operations director" with experience of "look[ing] at the long term over the next 5 years or even longer" you're doing an incredibly poor job of considering the return of other players
The board are damned if they do and damned if they don't!
Plenty on here complaining about not signing injury dispensations, reading what Cohen said in the Merc sounds like they are planning for the future as well as the present!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I swear our fans whinge far more and are far more entitled than ever before.

I don't recall this moaning when we signed Jaco van der Westhuyzen on a short term deal to solve a problem. Nor Lote Tuqiri.

We have injuries in the centres for the rest of the season. We've signed an experienced international for the rest of the season. What's the problem?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Also if you were Mermoz would you want to be competing with Tumua and Tuilagi next season or play for falcons where the competition isn't so tight
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes,spend our money on a number 8,what's Duane Vermeulen up too? But seriously Josh Strauss is apparently on his way to Exeter next season,why arnt we looking at someone like that? I do think the moderation is way OTT on this site,we have our own website and if we modded like this everyone would be banned! Lol Can I tell everyone about the site,what are your rules on that Tigerbeat?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote:Yes,spend our money on a number 8,what's Duane Vermeulen up too? But seriously Josh Strauss is apparently on his way to Exeter next season,why arnt we looking at someone like that? I do think the moderation is way OTT on this site,we have our own website and if we modded like this everyone would be banned! Lol Can I tell everyone about the site,what are your rules on that Tigerbeat?
Maybe we are after Struass? It's only rumoured that Exter is looking to bring him in. (Along with Sale, Falcons and other prem clubs).
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Heard Bennett is going to Falcons too and Grant has gone too Wuss.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Iain wrote:I swear our fans whinge far more and are far more entitled than ever before.

I don't recall this moaning when we signed Jaco van der Westhuyzen on a short term deal to solve a problem. Nor Lote Tuqiri.

We have injuries in the centres for the rest of the season. We've signed an experienced international for the rest of the season. What's the problem?
The problem is you are going to an age when Tigers won all the time and the supporters got glassy eyed at how we won, be it by 3 in rain storm or by 6 in the sun when sticking it up your jumper meant keeping the ball in tight! Now we lose and the "supporters" plan their satnavs to the quickest route to shout for Wasps or god forbid Stains. Fickle springs to mind; want a change? Get down South Leicester or a local team and discover enthusiasm again! City fans didn't get to cloud surfing by supporting other teams, they stuck at it and didn't drown in their own misery.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Excellent post Snorbins, I'm as dischuffed as anyone but my city my team.
Interesting point about South. As well as them you've got Leicester Lions and Hinckley all performing well in Nat. 2 north the 4th tier of English rugby.
Have to pay £8 to stand on the touch line though :smt018
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Well, I'm pleased to have him for the rest of the season but, as someone else said, for gawd's sake let's hope he doesn't get injured!
Toulon to a wet Kingston Park on a Friday night is bit of a shift though!