"This season's performance could have a seismic effect . . "

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: "This season's performance could have a seismic effect .

Post by wellstiger »

[quote="fortysix"]Despite all the Happy Clappers pontifications over the last few years, all the negatives Doom Mongers have intimated over the last few years has come to pass-------on a truly massive scale.
We are now a very very average team, with a few ''stars'' who dont always perform when the :censored: hits the fan, and a whole schebang of average journeymen. Triers but not up to the ghosts of our very illustrious past
Time to clear out most of the Board and the Coaching staff, half the squad, and start afresh.
:smt023 1
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Some ideas on the "seismic effect":

Different business model

Different financial structure, shareholder changes

Refinancing project, mortgage fixed assets

Massive clear out of players

Ditto of coaching and backroom staff (these last 2 dependant on financial injection)

Effective "start again"

Joint venture with ?Foxes?

Delay development projects, e.g. Oval Park, car park, hotels etc

We're not talking about just changes to coaching staff or players. Oz's statement implies much more of an effect than that. Failure to get out of the pool stage, an anticipated decline in season ticket retention and new takeup, a failure to reach the playoffs will cost the club a large six-figure number, at a time when it is already short of cash. In addition, renegotiating sponsorships will become much more difficult.

Nobody likes to be associated with decline.
Valhalla I am coming!
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

I hope those who read this post see the point of this piece of history and its relevance to where we are today and parallels to the past.
Leicester as a city has seen many family businesses go into decline in the 70s and 80s and eventually close or sold on. Many of the owners of these businesses never saw it coming until too late, believing it would get better. A business does not go into decline overnight. A business can appear to flourish and still be badly run, the momentum created from earlier years maintain the illusion. However as market conditions and competition become harder then its ability to survive comes into question.
Being in such a business I can recollect: the in fighting and turf wars, petty jealousies, of people taking their eye off the ball. The best people leaving, the wrong people staying, Of cost cutting but protecting, and of loyal customers moving on. Symptoms of a business in decline. Many of you out there have seen or experienced this.
Tigers are displaying many of these symptoms. The solution in my case was a strong leader was recruited, the right decision. He started to turn things around, clearing out the deadwood, refocussing the business and creating a good feel. But in doing so he trod on few feet, the wrong feet and his services were dispensed with. The business and I was sold on within 2 years.
We need to bring in a strong leader to manage the business, someone who knows the business and is backed by the “owners” and us. Someone who will inevitably upset some people, but recognise the value of others, there are no holy grails or favourites, as we know there have been. The strengths of this club, are the real estate and the fan base are its assets. It is the brand, The Tigers, which has been weakened and will take time to re-establish itself and we have to recognise that. The brand which attracts good sponsors, of reputation which attracts players. We have some way to go to undo past management failures both on and off the field.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Absolutely right, Gilbert!
Valhalla I am coming!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Crumblies wrote:
h's dad wrote:
fortysix wrote:Despite all the Happy Clappers pontifications over the last few years, all the negatives Doom Mongers have intimated over the last few years has come to pass-------on a truly massive scale.
We are now a very very average team, with a few ''stars'' who dont always perform when the :censored: hits the fan, and a whole schebang of average journeymen. Triers but not up to the ghosts of our very illustrious past
Time to clear out most of the Board and the Coaching staff, half the squad, and start afresh.
Johnno Healey Richards as priorities.
Wellsy wont come back
What a thoroughly bizarre, ill-informed and contradictory post :smt017 :smt018
Politenes and respect for someone else's opinion dictate that you should qualify your response with 'IMHO' (in my humble opinion).

Since you haven't my response to you is 'Bozo' & I'm being polite
Ok, although 46 presented his blatantly erroneous post as a collection of facts grammatically, which you manage to ignore, IMNSHO. I just didn't know where to start with a rebuttal; it's crying out for a book taking every aspect of it apart.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Gilbert wrote:I hope those who read this post see the point of this piece of history and its relevance to where we are today and parallels to the past.
Leicester as a city has seen many family businesses go into decline in the 70s and 80s and eventually close or sold on. Many of the owners of these businesses never saw it coming until too late, believing it would get better. A business does not go into decline overnight. A business can appear to flourish and still be badly run, the momentum created from earlier years maintain the illusion. However as market conditions and competition become harder then its ability to survive comes into question.
Being in such a business I can recollect: the in fighting and turf wars, petty jealousies, of people taking their eye off the ball. The best people leaving, the wrong people staying, Of cost cutting but protecting, and of loyal customers moving on. Symptoms of a business in decline. Many of you out there have seen or experienced this.
Tigers are displaying many of these symptoms. The solution in my case was a strong leader was recruited, the right decision. He started to turn things around, clearing out the deadwood, refocussing the business and creating a good feel. But in doing so he trod on few feet, the wrong feet and his services were dispensed with. The business and I was sold on within 2 years.
We need to bring in a strong leader to manage the business, someone who knows the business and is backed by the “owners” and us. Someone who will inevitably upset some people, but recognise the value of others, there are no holy grails or favourites, as we know there have been. The strengths of this club, are the real estate and the fan base are its assets. It is the brand, The Tigers, which has been weakened and will take time to re-establish itself and we have to recognise that. The brand which attracts good sponsors, of reputation which attracts players. We have some way to go to undo past management failures both on and off the field.
Good post Gilbert. I don't fully concur with your SWOT analysis but you have brought a certain perspective.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Gilbert wrote:I hope those who read this post see the point of this piece of history and its relevance to where we are today and parallels to the past.
What a load of Sigmoid Curves! :smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Great first post Gilbert and very perceptive. Please continue to contribute, we need sensible, thoughtful posters!
Soggypitch
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Well Gilbert, you are obviously very well informed and in the know, seeing as you can comment on all these things you know are happening? Who do you know all this?
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

All Gilbert is doing is a xpressing what would be good business practice to restore a failing business. Does that ring any bells? The failing business bit, I mean?
Valhalla I am coming!
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

So you have talked to him about it?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

fleabane wrote:All Gilbert is doing is a xpressing what would be good business practice to restore a failing business. Does that ring any bells? The failing business bit, I mean?
My earlier comment "What a load of Sigmoid Curves!" was, surprisingly you may think, a genuine response!

Wiki: "All things occur in cycles, ebbing and flowing as time goes by. In the west, we often think of things progressing in a linear way, but nature teaches us that this is not the case. Darkness and light, the seasons, the life cycles of plants and animals – all these things rise and fall periodically. This cyclical motion affects every area of our lives. Our relationships, our family life and our career all follow cycles, and so do the lives of the institutions, companies, organizations, countries, empires and, yes, professional rugby clubs rise and fall in cycles."

These curves go through distinct phases - inception, growth, maturity, plateau and decline. The key to longevity is starting the inception of the next curve during a period of maturity and not decline of the prevailing curve. Arguably - we've left starting our next phase of success a tad late which makes things harder but not impossible.

Q.E.D - which is Latin for 'Quite Easily Done'! :smt003
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

I watched the match on Saturday and recall Austin also having a dig at the players - he said something along the lines of "......you can coach and train all you like but it's the players on the pitch making the decisions during the game." I thought at the time he was spot on and still do. These players have all been playing for over a decade and more in many cases but they appear to have lost their mojo. Sloppy passes, dropped balls, knock ons etc.

Mauger needs to get a grip of the squad and really prove himself as a coach - our season is basically finished already. Yet again our away form was totally unacceptable. A loss compounded by the manner of the loss. There just didn't seem to be the hunger and fighting spirit.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

jgriffin wrote:
fortysix wrote:Despite all the Happy Clappers pontifications over the last few years, all the negatives Doom Mongers have intimated over the last few years has come to pass-------on a truly massive scale.
Johnno Healey Richards as priorities.
Wellsy wont come back
Twaddle. If you go back to before 2010 we had doom-mongers going on and on and on....all it proves that in sport, as in life in general, if you go on long enough you get a chance to claim you were right.
It's a few years ago now since I first commented that something didn't feel right in the team's performance, despite winning games. This made me a doom monger in the eyes of those who said 'We're the Tigers, we've got to 7 finals, there's nothing wrong.'

I assume you have a car and every day you get in it and drive to work. After a while it starts to make a slight knocking noise when you start it, but it stops after a few seconds. As time goes on it gets worse, but it still gets your there. Then, even friends notice it and comment on it. Now, at what stage do you do something about it? Do you just press on because they all breakdown eventually and accept the the trail of oil and broken metal behind the failed car was inevitable? Or do you find out what the problem is when you notice it and get it fixed so the car stays reliable?

You took against MOC because you thought there was something wrong - doom monger or concerned observer? Things might have changed when he left but we are where we are.

BTW, I don't necessarily agree with a lot of fortysix's post either.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I've heard it all before.

Around 1997-98 Newcastle and Saracens were the top dogs. There was no way Tigers could compete with the money so they are a spent force. Other clubs have overtaken them.
We won the league four times in a row after then.

September 2012: We lost 22-9 at home to Quins. We were dreadful. Eddie Butler in the Guardian wrote about it as a significant result as it signified a power shift and changing of the guard - Leicester, without a title since 2010, were spent and Quins were the new power.
We won the league that season having comfortably dispatched Quins in the semis. Quins, of course, have declined sharply since.

Nothing is ever permanent. Things are cyclical. We'll be back.