Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Owen Williams Confirmed to Gloucester

Post by Will S »

ellis9 wrote:MT? Mat Tait, Manu Tuilagi or Matt Toomua :smt023

We need another fly half! Freddie Burns and another fly half. We cannot have just Burns with Toomua as a back up. It isn't Toomua's natural position. We need to have 2 proper fly halves and then we can have Toomua as a backup to those two.
Sorry - with all these players out injured I'm starting to forget about them :smt002

With FB and Toomua you could argue we don't have to spend big on another 10. I would rather find a young gun with lots of potential.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Me too - a young fly half is needed . Spend money on a top line 8 .
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/38583576

Now confirmed on the BBC. Bit saddened by this, I get that Burns is the better playmaker, but Owen had his uses, and his boot (when functioning properly) could be very useful.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I didn't say we need to spend big on a fly half. We just need another natural fly half. Whether that's an 18 year old, relatively unknown player or a more experienced player. As long as they are ready to play Premiership rugby, I don't mind who it is.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

ellis9 wrote:MT? Mat Tait, Manu Tuilagi or Matt Toomua :smt023

We need another fly half! Freddie Burns and another fly half. We cannot have just Burns with Toomua as a back up. It isn't Toomua's natural position. We need to have 2 proper fly halves and then we can have Toomua as a backup to those two.
Mr Toby
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Seal
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Seal »

I very much liked the look of Joel Hodgson up at Falcons, but suspect he has another year on his contract at least yet.

Jamie Shillcock at Worcester is another with a lot of potential.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Why sign Toomua a world class centre to then play him at 10? Why re-sign Flood its never good to go backwards. Why sign another unknown when we did that with Williams? Why not instead for the first time ever just let us have two top class fly halfs ie Burns and Ford?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Time for Oli Bryant to step up?
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

sapajo wrote:Why sign Toomua a world class centre to then play him at 10? Why re-sign Flood its never good to go backwards. Why sign another unknown when we did that with Williams? Why not instead for the first time ever just let us have two top class fly halfs ie Burns and Ford?
I agree with the consternation expressed in your first question. However, signing Flood has several advantages. He, like Williams, could be utilized at both 10 and 12 so would be great injury cover and a perfect person to have on the bench. He wouldn't necessarily command huge wages, nor would he upset the balance of the squad with an expectation that he would start every game (unlike Ford). He has an excellent rugby brain and would be a very useful voice to have in a game, on the touch line, and in training. Moreover, our 22-to-points conversion rate is poor and, as I recall, Flood just had a knack for getting the team over the line. If he could instil that in the rest of the squad as a senior voice, he would be a welcome addition!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
sapajo wrote:Why sign Toomua a world class centre to then play him at 10? Why re-sign Flood its never good to go backwards. Why sign another unknown when we did that with Williams? Why not instead for the first time ever just let us have two top class fly halfs ie Burns and Ford?
I agree with the consternation expressed in your first question. However, signing Flood has several advantages. He, like Williams, could be utilized at both 10 and 12 so would be great injury cover and a perfect person to have on the bench. He wouldn't necessarily command huge wages, nor would he upset the balance of the squad with an expectation that he would start every game (unlike Ford). He has an excellent rugby brain and would be a very useful voice to have in a game, on the touch line, and in training. Moreover, our 22-to-points conversion rate is poor and, as I recall, Flood just had a knack for getting the team over the line. If he could instil that in the rest of the squad as a senior voice, he would be a welcome addition!
I just tweeted Nick Mullins: "Always liked Farrell/Hodgson at FezHeads - would love Burns/Flood at Tigers! Toby only 31 and out of contract this summer?"

His response: "It's an interesting one. Particularly if Ford is still a long-term target."

Long term? I'm guessing that those closer to things than I am still believe Ford is not heading to us in the short term at least.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Can we all be clear that Bath will not let Ford sign for us next season?
Less is more....
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
Excellent well made points, but the one fact that we should not forget is Toby has never been a good goal kicker and a drop goal was entirely alien to him.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Bunchy wrote:
Can we all be clear that Bath will not let Ford sign for us next season?
Who knows I am sure things will become clear soon with a lot of signings being confirmed but Tigers as per are keeping stum. Bath could let him come to us on the same basis they let Davey Wilson go to Falcons ie you cannot play against Bath.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Bunchy wrote: Can we all be clear that Bath will not let Ford sign for us next season?
No it's not clear. Personally I can't see how Bath can "restrict" where anyone signs for.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Coops wrote: No it's not clear. Personally I can't see how Bath can "restrict" where anyone signs for.
He's under contract. Therefore, whilst under that contract, it would have to be bought out or compensation paid to Bath. Surely Bath can negotiate with whoever they decide to and, conversely, can refuse talks (or at least make things very difficult) to those they don't want him to go to.

How aggressive Bruce Wayne will be in ensuring that is the case is another matter, but he seems rather protective of his little train set.
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.