Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Re: Owen Williams Confirmed to Gloucester

Post by kornboy130 »

Bunchy wrote:
sapajo wrote:Why sign Toomua a world class centre to then play him at 10? Why re-sign Flood its never good to go backwards. Why sign another unknown when we did that with Williams? Why not instead for the first time ever just let us have two top class fly halfs ie Burns and Ford?
Can we all be clear that Bath will not let Ford sign for us next season?

The problem with that is that it isn't clear bar a local paper piece saying that was the case - negotiations and things change - especially when a lawyer wades in stating there's a case for anti-competition behaviour or indeed an adequate replacement for the player at hand is found.

The latter option is worth noting - Ford says he wants to go with a lot of options, Bath say "OK but we don't want you going to Leicester as is our right under the contract", talks go on, Bath sign Player X to replace Ford - a player who is on for argument's sake the exact same wage - Ford comes back "turns out I don't fancy Sale - I fancy Tigers" Bath are now stuck with a player who doesn't want to play for them who they have already replaced in their cap spend. In other words - things develop, especially when their around unusual demands like Bath's there. Let's just sit tight and see where things go form her.e
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I pray we don't get Ford...imo he will do little to change our fortunes as Burns is a better option for us at present and can actually kick most of the time

We need Centres, a fullback and more importantly an 8 to change our squad..another front foot flyhalf will do little for us until we have the pack to complement

As others have said a young flyhalf will fit the bill and we can get behind Burns who with a decent centre pairing and an attacking fullback can do some damage :smt023
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
Coops wrote: No it's not clear. Personally I can't see how Bath can "restrict" where anyone signs for.
He's under contract. Therefore, whilst under that contract, it would have to be bought out or compensation paid to Bath. Surely Bath can negotiate with whoever they decide to and, conversely, can refuse talks (or at least make things very difficult) to those they don't want him to go to.

How aggressive Bruce Wayne will be in ensuring that is the case is another matter, but he seems rather protective of his little train set.
Largely reported that he has a break cause in the contract for this summer , but no-body can confirm what if any terms are attached to it
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

JackFlashJonny wrote:I pray we don't get Ford...imo he will do little to change our fortunes as Burns is a better option for us at present and can actually kick most of the time

We need Centres, a fullback and more importantly an 8 to change our squad..another front foot flyhalf will do little for us until we have the pack to complement

As others have said a young flyhalf will fit the bill and we can get behind Burns who with a decent centre pairing and an attacking fullback can do some damage :smt023

Please let it be Ford :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

If what I was told is right he's been offered silly money to go to Gloucester. He'd have been insane to turn it down and we'd have been stupid to try and match it.

He'll go with my best wishes.
Mo Leicester

Post by Mo Leicester »

Good luck Owen.

Now....

I, for one would be very happy to see Tony back (he was at the Munster game a few weeks back). Our back line has not really been effective since he left.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Mo Leicester wrote:Good luck Owen.

Now....

I, for one would be very happy to see Tony back (he was at the Munster game a few weeks back). Our back line has not really been effective since he left.
Who's Tony?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
How aggressive Bruce Wayne will be in ensuring that is the case is another matter, but he seems rather protective of his little train set.
Surely that should read "cowboy outfit".
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Old Hob wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:
Surely that should read "cowboy outfit".
That'd be John Wayne. Farleigh House or whatever they call it is more, er, Gothic. :smt001

Can't blame Owen for leaving. A rugby player is only ever potentially one injury from retirement, so he's right to go with the money
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

"... and some fell on stony ground."
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
agoodetiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by agoodetiger »

Why question Toomua as fly half?? He was signed as centre/fly half and has plenty of experience at fly half. To me its an option so can focus the budget on other more pressing areas that need strengthening.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Is the assumption Oli Bryant will not make the grade? He is now 21 years old and will presumably be looking for a full contract next season?
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Iain wrote:If what I was told is right he's been offered silly money to go to Gloucester. He'd have been insane to turn it down and we'd have been stupid to try and match it.

Agreed. If he's gone for the money, fair enough , let him go. I just hope Owen doesn't dress it up as anything else. Because in joining the Prem's most consistently inconsistent side, it can't be anything else
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

drc_007 wrote:Is the assumption Oli Bryant will not make the grade? He is now 21 years old and will presumably be looking for a full contract next season?
It's a difficult to call from the outside. The mediocre start to the season and lack of continuity in the backline seemed to push the management into a fairly full strength side in the AWC games so far, whereas in previous years we'd have seen a few more of the development squad involved. Is he getting to the age where he's going to look elsewhere? Maybe. The one advantage he does have is that the next in line from the academy who also plays 10, Worth, looks more likely to be utilised primarily as a full back.
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

tigercaspian wrote:
Iain wrote:If what I was told is right he's been offered silly money to go to Gloucester. He'd have been insane to turn it down and we'd have been stupid to try and match it.

Agreed. If he's gone for the money, fair enough , let him go. I just hope Owen doesn't dress it up as anything else. Because in joining the Prem's most consistently inconsistent side, it can't be anything else
Money is a relatively major part of it, but with Gloucester's new owner pouring serious money into the club why would he not go?

They will be top 4 contenders next year and if they'll be looking for Champions Cup qualification for next year.

Oli Byrant doesnt seem worth holding onto, no hype around him. Slade or if Lozowski doesnt want to play second fiddle to Farrel we'll happily have if, contracts and buy outs permitting.
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'