Owen Williams Confirmed to Gloucester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Owen Williams Confirmed to Gloucester

Post by Noddy555 »

What a shame yet another example of the Tigers management's inability to capiyalise on a players potential. What I call the George Ford Syndrome.
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

ABClub wrote:BeeJ, Crowson reporting it in the Merc as a done deal. From the way he's written the article I'd gather it's about to be officially announced.
Thanks for the info. :smt023

As has been requested innumerable times over the years, it would be of great help if people mentioned their sources when making such statements as this: in fact, Rizzo used to insist upon it.

To be picky, the article in the Mercury says, and I quote 'Leicester Tigers look set to lose fly-half Owen Williams to Gloucester at the end of the season.' It does not say his move is confirmed as the OP claims.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Noddy555 wrote:What a shame yet another example of the Tigers management's inability to capiyalise on a players potential. What I call the George Ford Syndrome.
We do not know what the truth is at this juncture, for all we know he could have been offered another contract. He has been with Tigers some 4 years and surely that is long enough to confirm any players potential.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

Noddy555 wrote:What a shame yet another example of the Tigers management's inability to capiyalise on a players potential. What I call the George Ford Syndrome.
How can you blame the management , It wasn't the management fault he spent a chunck of time out injured, it wasn't the managements fault he didn't seem interested in some games, Take wades try on sunday, he chickened out of going for the ball.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Can't say I'm too disappointed if I am honest. Williams looked a prospect but doesn't seem to have progressed. I know some will prefer his game management to Fred but we won't win anything playing conservative rugby and Fred brings more excitement.

Having said that, we've got to thank OW for his brilliant kick against Munster... or our losing streak would currently stand at 5. Good luck to him at Gloucester, he'll need it!
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Lets please stop banging on about this. Its getting dull
grobyman

Post by grobyman »

northerntiger wrote:
Lets please stop banging on about this. Its getting dull
:smt023 +1
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Square that with the MANY players that Tigers have turned into start quality from humble beginnings, McCaffery being a current example.
Get real, if a player sees himself, rightly or wrongly, as a first choice in position but, for obvious reasons, another player is ahead then he has two options, seems OW has chosen the easier one!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I am neither sad not surprised by this Burns is clearly AM's number 1 and rightly so he is a great player imo and behind a decent pack will be brilliant..

OW whilst having a seige gun boot and being a solid player just doesn't get the backline moving in the same way or test the defence so they can just drift..

I thank him and wish him all the best and am interested to see who his replacement will be :smt023
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

What a shame - another example of an ill informed opinion.... What I call the Noddy or Roly syndrome

FWIW - speaking with Owen, Gloucester are able to pay him a lot more than he will earn at Tigers - clubs who do not spend to the cap have that ability - he will replace Hook in their cap. it's not totally done yet but very close and there is little Tigers can do about it.
Less is more....
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Humphreys said that Owen Williams still wants to play international rugby so why is he joining Gloucester? He needs to play in Wales if he wants international rugby.

It's a shame to see him leave as he has been a good player for us but I'm sure we will have a replacement lined up.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I'm not overly gutted about this. I think Owen represents what Tigers have produced over the past few years .... a lot of huff and puff but runs out of ideas.

Much prefer FB's at 10 with MT providing cover next season.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

MT? Mat Tait, Manu Tuilagi or Matt Toomua :smt023

We need another fly half! Freddie Burns and another fly half. We cannot have just Burns with Toomua as a back up. It isn't Toomua's natural position. We need to have 2 proper fly halves and then we can have Toomua as a backup to those two.
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

Although great things were expected, it didn't materalise... Best thing about Owen Williams was his sister playing the Harp for around 100 tigers away fans a couple of years ago in his old youth team clubhouse in the valleys before the game against scarlets