Premiership - Remaining Games

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

AliB

Premiership - Remaining Games

Post by AliB »

Just interested in the Premiership here but my thoughts are linked to the Champions Cup as well. I had a look at the remaining games:

5 home games (Gloz, Briz, Exeter, Newcastle, Sale)
4 away games (Quins, Saints, Bath, Worcester)

Historically it has usually been 65 /66 pts plus to secure 4th spot. We are on 33 pts now so where are the next 33 points going to come from?

I can see us winning all the home games (yes even Exeter!) but not with bonus points. So if we take 20 points at home we would need to take at least 13 points on the road. We will beat Quins and Worcester away so the key matches will be Bath and Saints – both away and we will need to win at least one of those games with a losing bp in the other.
Does anyone think we can make top 4? We are talking about winning 8 out of our last 9 games.

I still think there is a very small chance we can make top 4, but one slip up and we will be out of the running. For what it is worth if we do make top 4, given the run we will have had to go on I think we will win the whole thing as we will have so much momentum with us, we will have some of our key players back and perhaps even some of our young players will have established themselves!

To add some balance I think if we do lose one or two more games then I think even top 6 will be a struggle. With this in mind is it even worth pursuing Europe this year and risking further injuries? I think they should ditch Europe now (eg put out weakened side) and focus on securing at least top 6 in the premiership.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership - Remaining Games

Post by RagingBull »

Bath being at Twickenham should be a boost for us given our record at the wrec.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Win all the home games, win at least two of the away games. I reckon that might well do it.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

AliB wrote:...is it even worth pursuing Europe this year and risking further injuries? I think they should ditch Europe now (eg put out weakened side) and focus on securing at least top 6 in the premiership.
As far as resting players is concerned, it's always a balance between game time / continuity and relaxing / not risking. Personally, I'd put the best team out against Racing and, if results go our way, against Glasgow too. The AP resumes 3 weeks after the Glasgow match - plenty of time to cope with niggles and minor injuries.

With 5 home, 3 away and 1 neutral game to go, I think we stand a chance of needing to play another away and a neutral match at season end!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

All 9 are very winnable and 7 wins + 4 BP's will be enough - so, yes I do think we can. And as I said in another thread we have to secure top 6 as a priority anyway. So, it's an old cliche but we need to take one match at a time. And critically our next two games are at home to Gloucester and Bristol. A couple of BP wins against those two would change the mindset again wouldn't it. As I said in another thread the first priority is to secure a top 6 finish. Sooner that is done the better. Then we can chase the next goal.
AliB

Post by AliB »

I forgot about the Bath game being at Twickers, I think we will win that one now!

We have Saints away two weeks prior to that game so as usual it comes down to a massive showdown with Saints - can't wait just hope we are still in the running come those two games.

I would still rest key players against Racing and certainly not rush any recovering players back just because it is Europe. I would rest Burns since possibly no fly half cover (go with Bryant again) and rest T Youngs, Cole and Slater and probably Betham and Thomstone - will be interesting to see what team they pick!
mjonesss95
Tiger Cub

Post by mjonesss95 »

Quins have won all of their matches at home this season, including against Sarries, Exeter and Bath, so shouldn't be taken lightly.

Looking at the table, 2 games after the half-way point we are 5 points off the play-offs, and those two games have been against the top two teams. I back us to get there against the teams we'll play between now and the end of the season. In my opinion the crunch games will be against Exeter, and Bath at Twickenham.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

45 points it is then :smt027
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I can see us winning at least 7 of these 9 games and if we can garner around another 8 bonus points then our final season tally would be 69 points which should be enough for at least 4th place and probably a return visit to the Ricoh arena.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Noddy555 wrote:I can see us winning at least 7 of these 9 games and if we can garner around another 8 bonus points then our final season tally would be 69 points which should be enough for at least 4th place and probably a return visit to the Ricoh arena.
So, 2 losing bonus points in the games we don't win and 6 try bonus points out of the 7 games we win.
Even by your standards, Noddy, that's a cracker!
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I think Bath's form will be key. If they beat either us at HQ or Saints in their next game then they are looking at at least 63-67pts. If they turn over Wasps at the Rec or Saffas then it's game over; the midfield from 5th (us) to 9th (Newcastle) is just too narrow with 5 pts between them.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Noddy555 wrote:I can see us winning at least 7 of these 9 games and if we can """garner around!!!"" another 8 bonus points then our final season tally would be 69 points which should be enough for at least 4th place and probably a return visit to the Ricoh arena.
Noddy the last thing Tigers want is Greg "Garner anywhere around" Refereeing a Tigers match -especially v Saints :smt027
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Agreed Wormus he is a terrible referee.