Manu out for season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu out for season

Post by mol2 »

Should just be back in time to get injured in next years 6N.

No luck whatsoever.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Perhaps it is now time to review our contractual obligations to this young man. One is immediately sympathetic to the player who over the last two seasons has had
injuries that would fill a surgeons handbook, but can we really afford to commit
around £450,000 per annum on a player who performs in 5 or 6 matches? I don't think so especially not on top of the huge sums outlaid on Matt Toomua and J P Petersen who are also long term injury problems. I keep asking myself is there a major problem with our training regime or have we offended the gods in some terrible way to deserve our run of bad fortune?
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Noddy555 wrote:Perhaps it is now time to review our contractual obligations to this young man. One is immediately sympathetic to the player who over the last two seasons has had
injuries that would fill a surgeons handbook, but can we really afford to commit
around £450,000 per annum on a player who performs in 5 or 6 matches? I don't think so especially not on top of the huge sums outlaid on Matt Toomua and J P Petersen who are also long term injury problems. I keep asking myself is there a major problem with our training regime or have we offended the gods in some terrible way to deserve our run of bad fortune?
The latter :smt009

We've invested a great deal in Manu and now is not the time to throw in the towel, particularly as we are unlikely to get any decent offers until he is fit again. This is a new injury rather than a repeat of an earlier injury so on that basis there is no reason to surpose he won't make a full recovery with time. :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Contractual obligations can't be reviewed - they are obligations. He has played 96 matches for the club and is a major asset. Watching him at full tilt is a magnificent spectacle! I hope he is back and playing soon.

Perhaps when his contract is up for renewal it may not be quite as generous but will depend on what his fitness is like then.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

champanzie wrote: I feel sorry for Manu but we cant keep paying him £450000+ a year and have him only play a couple of games a season.
We have to allow him to recover yet again but at the suggested £450,000 per season
Question - How many Pounds to the Manu minutes?
Just when he is needed a triple tackle injures him!
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

So our revival this season under our stellar backs has sadly failed, all out exciting players out till next season. :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

sapajo wrote:
Time well tell but one thing is for sure are chances of finishing in the top 4 are rapidly decreasing. I feel we have no choice if we still harbor this ambition but to splash the cash on a replacement but time will tell if we have and if so who we end up with?
So the chances of not making the top 4 are decreasing due to injuries and we need to splash the cash but splashing the cash was denied to Cockers. Cockers was not allowed to use injuries as an excuse so why is it relevant now?
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

A career ruined by injuries. Tom Croft take II.
Get well soon dude.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

From twitter " we may not see Manu Tuilagi in a Tigers shirt again. Rumours circulating of a move down south"
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Poor lad probably feels he is cursed and a change of scenery may be what he needs. Whatever he decides I hope he makes a full recovery and can enjoy life once more.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

sapajo wrote:From twitter " we may not see Manu Tuilagi in a Tigers shirt again. Rumours circulating of a move down south"
Who from?

First thing, he's under a long term contract. Unless there are break clauses this can't happen.

This said, if he's happy to knock his international career on the head there might be some sense in this. Super Rugby might allow him more recovery time.

But I don't want him gone. He's too good. This injury is not indicative of anything else - it's just awful luck. You can't legislate for someone falling against your leg. There is nothing anyone could have done different.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

It is correct - this is a new injury. It simply confirms that he is injury prone. As such, he has had little to offer on the credit side of the equation for a number of years. I think this surely has to be his last rehab for us, and then let's hope his luck changes.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Phil B wrote:It is correct - this is a new injury. It simply confirms that he is injury prone. As such, he has had little to offer on the credit side of the equation for a number of years. I think this surely has to be his last rehab for us, and then let's hope his luck changes.
"Stupidity is doing the same thing and expecting different results" (A Einstein).

Its time to get rid of Tuilagi. And Croft for that matter.
Last edited by Roly on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Shush

Post by Shush »

I can't help but think it's a case of 'too much too young' He's been using his body as a crash test dummy since the age of? I believe his concurrent injuries are the result of historical exploits.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Shush wrote:I can't help but think it's a case of 'too much too young' He's been using his body as a crash test dummy since the age of? I believe his concurrent injuries are the result of historical exploits.
Plus he has a medical condition which will ensure that regardless of what other injuries he suffers, he will continue to suffer groin injuries.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.