Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Harry Thacker

Post by BFG »

Roly
Thacker matured quickly as a player and became an asset. There were times when Tom Youngs wasn't available - Thacker could have and should have been selected - but he wasn't. There may have been an explanation for this, but let's be honest, some of RC's selections were quite bizarre. I wouldn't be surprised if chicken bones had been involved.

Worcester might be a bottom end AP side, but they can improve and he'll get game time - at least Worcester appear to have have seen his potential (TBC of course). As opposed to staying at Tigers, a team (at the time) with a DoR seemingly intent on securing mid-table for the team, dividing loyalties in the changing room and signing 'marquee' players made from cheese.

Your fawning obsequiousness may convince the more vulnerable members of this forum that RC was the Messiah, but the enlightened saw through him at least 3 years ago and have now had their opinions validated.
Interesting from you Roly, I seem to recall yourself questioning Leicester's physical abilities up front including Thacker's not so long ago.
Now with the developed Thacker v RC talk on this topic you have taken the side against RC, I get the impression your opinion is often married to anything anti-RC!
For all we know RC might've wanted Thacker in more and others didn't.
Thacker has 46 1st team caps in the front row at the tender age of just 22 years old, that is not holding a young player back IMO, in fact it's sensible for career longevity given the front row pressures on a body, otherwise the lad could be broken by his mid to late twenties.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

BFG wrote:
Roly
Thacker matured quickly as a player and became an asset. There were times when Tom Youngs wasn't available - Thacker could have and should have been selected - but he wasn't. There may have been an explanation for this, but let's be honest, some of RC's selections were quite bizarre. I wouldn't be surprised if chicken bones had been involved.

Worcester might be a bottom end AP side, but they can improve and he'll get game time - at least Worcester appear to have have seen his potential (TBC of course). As opposed to staying at Tigers, a team (at the time) with a DoR seemingly intent on securing mid-table for the team, dividing loyalties in the changing room and signing 'marquee' players made from cheese.

Your fawning obsequiousness may convince the more vulnerable members of this forum that RC was the Messiah, but the enlightened saw through him at least 3 years ago and have now had their opinions validated.
Interesting from you Roly, I seem to recall yourself questioning Leicester's physical abilities up front including Thacker's not so long ago.
Now with the developed Thacker v RC talk on this topic you have taken the side against RC, I get the impression your opinion is often married to anything anti-RC!
Thacker has 46 1st team caps in the front row at the tender age of just 22 years old, that is not holding a young player back IMO, in fact it's sensible for career longevity given the front row pressures on a body, otherwise the lad could be broken by his mid to late twenties.
I admit I was dismissive of Thacker initially, but it is demonstrable that I've warmed to him and that I've backed him since. Anti-Cockerill? You'd better believe it and as DoR, with final say on selection (other than medical advice), it is quite clear that had RC wanted Thacker to play, he would have selected him.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly wrote:
BFG wrote:
Roly

I admit I was dismissive of Thacker initially, but it is demonstrable that I've warmed to him and that I've backed him since. Anti-Cockerill? You'd better believe it and as DoR, with final say on selection (other than medical advice), it is quite clear that had RC wanted Thacker to play, he would have selected him.

Funny that, being accused of not selecting a player you selected 46 times! :smt017
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

I meant that the theory that RC wanted to select him more but may have been vetoed by others is tenuous, rather than the amount he actually played.

Which I wonder is how much of the games he could have played in when expressed as a percentage of his 'short' career so far.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Perhaps now with Cockers gone, Harry might stand a chance of playing more frequently, because quite frankly he's the best No. 2 we have at the moment.
Both his line out and loose play are way in advance of what TY is serving up at the moment. Granted he is still a bit short when it comes to scrummaging but you only learn that side of the game by actually playing.
Last edited by Noddy555 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly wrote:I meant that the theory that RC wanted to select him more but may have been vetoed by others is tenuous, rather than the amount he actually played.

Which I wonder is how much of the games he could have played in when expressed as a percentage of his 'short' career so far.

Any theory on any subject that we don't know the facts of is tenuous.
I have been under the illusion that the head coach has been working with the DOR to select players.
Either way it doesn't matter because it's rather pathetic to suggest that a 22 year old front row player who has struggled with the highly physical and dangerous role of scrummaging hasn't been selected enough when he has 46 caps!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

BFG wrote:
Roly wrote:I meant that the theory that RC wanted to select him more but may have been vetoed by others is tenuous, rather than the amount he actually played.

I have been under the illusion that the head coach has been working with the DOR to select players.
Either way it doesn't matter because it's rather pathetic to suggest that a 22 year old front row player who has struggled with the highly physical and dangerous role of scrummaging hasn't been selected enough when he has 46 caps!
Technically, he doesn't have a single cap, since 'caps' are awarded for international appearances.

And I certainly don't recall him playing 46 times in the 1st XV. He only really made it to the 1st team last year didn't he?
wolverhampton_tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by wolverhampton_tiger »

Roly wrote:
BFG wrote:

Technically, he doesn't have a single cap, since 'caps' are awarded for international appearances.

And I certainly don't recall him playing 46 times in the 1st XV. He only really made it to the 1st team last year didn't he?
46 appearances in the last five seasons, see his profile here:-

http://www.leicestertigers.com/rugby/le ... ef=dynamic
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

Roly wrote: Technically, he doesn't have a single cap, since 'caps' are awarded for international appearances.
I think you'll find that caps have been awarded since time immemorial by schools, clubs AND for international honours.
leic

Post by leic »

Eddie Jones clearly doesn't rate him as he's not in any of the development squads.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Has Greg Bateman been forgotten?
I think he may have been deemed too big by Cockers but does he now return to hooker and give us our front row juggernaught?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

BBC RL recently tweeted this

AM says they're hopeful of Harry Thacker signing a new contract in the next few weeks.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sapajo wrote:BBC RL recently tweeted this

AM says they're hopeful of Harry Thacker signing a new contract in the next few weeks.
Hope so. He'll slot into that pressure defence we showed in the second half perfectly. The overload attack with multiple ball carriers running down the same channel at pace is practically built for him.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The scrum really took it's toll on Wasps as the game wore on today.
I don't think Leicester would've had that in their armoury had HT been present and if set piece is even then I don't think anyone can afford to compete with Wasps backline at present.
The trouble is he also doesn't compliment the rest of our pack as a unit, we have seen it unravel already.
He definitely doesn't bring what Tommy Taylor did today who was like a genuine extra flanker, he didn't just move like one he actually played like one.
HT is like having a back in the forwards in comparison.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

sam16111986 wrote:
sapajo wrote:BBC RL recently tweeted this

Hope so. He'll slot into that pressure defence we showed in the second half perfectly. The overload attack with multiple ball carriers running down the same channel at pace is practically built for him.
Was on RL as we struggled to get out of Cov. AM hopeful that Harry will resign in next two weeks - sounded very positive.