Departure of Cockerill

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Departure of Cockerill

Post by ellis9 »

I said a while back that I thought Mauger was one of the problems and this seems to be true. He came to the club as Head Coach to work under the DOR, Cockerill but it seems he wanted full control. Why did he take the job of this was the case? The DOR is the boss, not the head coach!

The talks of player revolt from senior players? I've seen quite a few of them tweet their praise for Cockerill so are they saying one thing and another behind his back?

I'd prefer Murphy to become DOR than most of the names that have been mentioned.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

sapajo wrote:
Tigerbeat wrote:This is not the time to rejoice and celebrate the departure of Cockeriil. He has lost his job having been a longstanding servant to the club. The board have made the decison and the fans need to get behind the team for the remainder of the season. It is going to be a fight and further struggles may be ahead.
Just want to thank Cockerill for all that he has contributed to the Club over the last 24-25 years, as a player, coach and Director of Rugby.
Wishing him all the best for the future.
Very well said Tigerbeats, this is a very black day for Tigers the players, the coaches and the board are all culpable in the demise of Cockers a magnificent Tiger and frankly this debacle reeks to high heaven.
sapajo, I agree entirely :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

ellis9 wrote:I said a while back that I thought Mauger was one of the problems and this seems to be true. He came to the club as Head Coach to work under the DOR, Cockerill but it seems he wanted full control. Why did he take the job of this was the case? The DOR is the boss, not the head coach!
Echoes of Mike Ford and Gary Gold at Barf.
ellis9 wrote:The talks of player revolt from senior players? I've seen quite a few of them tweet their praise for Cockerill so are they saying one thing and another behind his back.
Professional players? Surely not......Conspiracy theory probably :smt003 but if there some two faced shenanigans going on then the tweets could just be a case of Rectum Protectum!
Louis

Post by Louis »

tigerburnie wrote:I thought getting rid of Deano was a mistake and still do, I also think getting rid of Cockers is a mistake and probably always will.
The club will go on, all clubs are bigger than any individual, but not all clubs are Leicester Tigers and I fear our identity could be evaporating with the loss of their ethos that is ingrained and hard won. I have no idea who will come in, but I hope they have a Tigers connection as without it the club will not be the same.
Tigers are becoming unique in that for the most part, they are still a "club" rather than a franchise and in this money driven world, could end up compromising the values we have been used to.
Cockers has been hampered by financial constraints that some other clubs DoR's don't seem to have had the same trouble with.
I believe that this decision is not going to change anything results wise, unless other changes are also made.
This has the feel of "scapegoat" to me.
Seconded in toto.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

depends how Mauger was sold the job Cockers at the time we signed him said Mauger would select the team and pick the tactics so maybe that would led Mauger to think he would be in control of that.

Players revolt wouldn't surprise me, always seems to be the case. Have an idea on which players it could be if true though.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

RB wrote P
layers revolt wouldn't surprise me, always seems to be the case. Have an idea on which players it could be if true though.
I was told this on several occasions but asked to keep it to myself.
Now it's out there is no need to keep mum.

Why do you think so many of our best players went away? From England' top club?s.
It was not only Castro who called him a James Hunt.
A life long Tiger
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Smudge wrote:RB wrote P
layers revolt wouldn't surprise me, always seems to be the case. Have an idea on which players it could be if true though.
I was told this on several occasions but asked to keep it to myself.
Now it's out there is no need to keep mum.

Why do you think so many of our best players went away? From England' top club?s.
It was not only Castro who called him a James Hunt.
No doubt we mere mortals will find out when we read their autobiographies in years to come.
upandunder
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by upandunder »

Firstly, thank you Richard and best wishes for the future.
As for the future please don't let the coaching team be a pension plan for ex tigers. If the Board are looking at a root and branch review of the coaching structure then they need to be hard nosed whilst at the same time giving support to AM at least in the short term. Change is always unsettling but is often needed if we intend to develop. Cockers ex agent in place will not help the process. An "outsider is not necessarily bad for business but pedigree is a must.
Many good suggestions on this topic but lets not be myopic. For what it is worth Robbie Deans could be worth a punt but whoever comes in we do need to look at the recruitment process as well. Surely with AM and others we have enough contacts to be able to attract talent where needed (no8 ?) Injuries accepted but this needs to be a cohesive process as part of the overall review. No easy answers Im afraid but easier to get wrong the right. Good look to Tigers in resolving this in the best possible way.
Go Tigers.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

If there was a split between the players over the styles of Cockers and Mauger I wonder how much this was reflected as a NH/SH split?

I've long felt that recruiting players from the four corners of the globe and trying to get them to play together in 'the Leicester way' wasn't working.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Some of the players that tweeted their thanks:

Ben Youngs
Veainu
Genge
Tuilagi
Ayerza
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

ellis9 wrote:Some of the players that tweeted their thanks:

Ben Youngs
Veainu
Genge
Tuilagi
Ayerza
dom barrow
cheers
Rich
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Richard Cockerill was sacked by Leicester Tigers after player revolt:

http://dailym.ai/2iwAHVf
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Well IF the reports in the press are to believed then two chiefs with markedly differing views and approach was never going to work. Time and results will tell whether AM can bring unity and common purpose to the team. A shame but with the alleged background clearly a change was needed.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Well at the risk of upsetting the faint of heart, I'm personally very pleased he's gone.

Note, this isn't gloating, and it isn't 'baiting'.

Its my opinion, and its valid.

English Premiership rugby has moved on, Tigers haven't. As DoR he carries the can. Even some of the die-hards on here, seemingly willing to back mediocrity, must be able to accept this is the correct decision. There have been some absolutely bizarre selections, game plans and some of the heaviest defeats in the club's history. People whining that sacking the man is akin to football - that's plainly not true. If this were football, he'd have been sacked two years ago, and maybe even before that.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

chewbacca wrote:Well IF the reports in the press are to believed then two chiefs with markedly differing views and approach was never going to work. Time and results will tell whether AM can bring unity and common purpose to the team. A shame but with the alleged background clearly a change was needed.
Well the Board have decided that Cockers is the one to take the rap for this debacle not themselves, not Mauger and not the players. The whole thing stinks to high heaven.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity