Departure of Cockerill

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Departure of Cockerill

Post by bc »

Alleluia! Should have happened 2 years ago! Sorry, I cannot be sentimental about Cockerill, which will no doubt get slammed on this forum! Cockerill inherited a club which has been renowned for not only playing quality rugby but for a great team spirit - this goes back to the amateur era when Tigers when clubs like Coventry, Moseley, Gloucester, Bath, Orrell and Gosforth were also forces. Professional era comes and Tigers are there always challenging in a Top 2 place and feared in Europe.
Under Cockerill, that all changed and he oversaw a decline.
However, I do agree that serious questions also need to be asked of the board who allowed this to continue for so long (was it anything to do with Simon Cohen also having been Cockerill's agent in the past?). Much better to have done this in the close season.
I am now confident that Aaron Mauger, with the help of others, will get the dressing back and players playing as a team!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Mixed emotions on this: You cannot fault RC's devotion to the cause that is Leicester Tigers throughout his career as both player and coach. I think we all owe him in a big way for his long service in both capacities.
That said, it has been a frustrating period of late for all concerned. Maybe a change in the coaching team will deliver improvements...?
Last edited by markharbtiger on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

G.K wrote:A sad end to a long and distinguished career at Tigers but unfortunately it's a results orientated Business and sooner or later this had to happen.

All credit to him for all he's achieved thus far and good luck for the future. :smt023
My sentiments exactly, first part sadly, second part undoubtedly.

Now we'll see if the superstar players can/will actually step up to the plate, if there's a sudden improvement then the decision is somewhat vindicated whilst at the same time some of those players may well need to review their own contributions of late.

Mixed emotions but as long as it's been done in the best interests of the club I don't think there can be too much argument. Sadly with the way things were going on pitch (I don't know about off of it as I'm not in the inner circle (actual or assumed)) we were in danger of losing players and not attracting others that we would normally desire.

Onwards.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Cockers inherited a team that largely retired and took Tigers 'dog' with them to an extent, and had to make do increasingly with 'projects' and some inspired recruiting (e.g. Locky) rather than getting in the £££ players. That is not his fault, but the board's and the CEO.
It may well have been time for a change (I had reservations about AM/SH), but I suspect, if serious, this will be a 'root & branch' where there is a coaching clearout.
I just hope they don't bring Meyer back. :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Sad to see anyone get the sack. Thought that in general Cockers did a good job. The season before last, he realised that he was struggling and got AM in. That, however, does not seem to have worked. If anything, I feel that the inconsistency did for him as much as anything else. The players showed that they could be very good (but not brilliant) irrespective of the injury situation. The wild variation in performances over the last 12 months, was as much about coaching as anything and hadn't really looked like changing. Unless the board think AM will do a much better job on his own, I don't see the logic of the sacking now rather than at the end of the season.

To those who have been praying/baying for this, all I will say is that there are far more coaches/DORs who are worse than RC than there better ones. Based on previous appointments, I'd say it's 50/50 which we get. Especially as the team have been trying to change their basic game plan.

Good luck Richard and thanks for all your efforts, enthusiasm and commitment over the years. In sport, very few people get to leave at the top and/or at a time if their own choosing.
parqs

Post by parqs »

A little bit too early in my opinion. You can't blame Cockerill for all the players failures out on the pitch.... he can't be to blame for the poor pass from BY which started the sequence of poor play that led to the Farrell try. Should have kept his job till season end IMO and then acted dependent on what the results were... we have been unlucky with injuries but that's not a valid excuse. I do think the Board inc the CEO need to look at themselves and resign as it's been downhilll since Cohen became CEO
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

Looks very premature to me. Made the playoffs every year since their inception and how many other clubs have managed that? A great player and servant of the club. Sad day.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

This is not the time to rejoice and celebrate the departure of Cockeriil. He has lost his job having been a longstanding servant to the club. The board have made the decison and the fans need to get behind the team for the remainder of the season. It is going to be a fight and further struggles may be ahead.
Just want to thank Cockerill for all that he has contributed to the Club over the last 24-25 years, as a player, coach and Director of Rugby.
Wishing him all the best for the future.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

:smt038 For Cocker - thank you for the passion, the success and for the fun. Thank you for loving your time as a player, coach and DoR and for letting it show! We shared and admired your devotion to Tigers.

For the team, the supporters and all on this forum - it's time to be positive, enthusiastic and happy again. If we feel that it's all a bit of an uphill struggle, just think how good the view will be from the top!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

It's tough at the top, and with Sarries and Wasps leading the way, Tigers in the meantime, have been left by the wayside. Surely the writing was on the wall a couple of seasons back, and I would have been tempted to have made changes then. What's left for Tigers this season? A slim chance of advancing in the European Cup - slim indeed. A minimum demand for the fans would be European qualification next season?
Ok, some say a sad day for Tigers, but hey ho, an opportunity is there for someone to grasp the horns and take Tigers back where they belong - but beware, it ain't going to happen overnight!
Semper in excretia
Louis

Post by Louis »

Very sad to see this happen.

Firstly, I am a huge fan of Cockers, secondly, I think he has done a sterling job for the club in all roles. A true servant and passionate lynchpin of Tigers.

I would not have made this change mid-season, if it needed to be made at all. Whatever negatives have occurred under his reign as DoR, I am not sufficiently informed to know precisely how much they are due to him personally, and no amount of armchair fly-halfing from the usual quarters provides that information.

I can only hope Mauger provides a steady hand on the tiller, because this is potentially a season ender.

Obviously the club can count on my support, but as with Deano, I'll reserve a wry smile if, when playing the next team that Cockers coaches, Tigers get a few moments of doubt (not a loss, obviously!).
Louis

Post by Louis »

Robespierre wrote:... - but beware, it ain't going to happen overnight!
Ain't that the truth.
Maximus66

Post by Maximus66 »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
G.K wrote:A sad end to a long and distinguished career at Tigers but unfortunately it's a results orientated Business and sooner or later this had to happen.

All credit to him for all he's achieved thus far and good luck for the future. :smt023
My sentiments exactly, first part sadly, second part undoubtedly.

Now we'll see if the superstar players can/will actually step up to the plate, if there's a sudden improvement then the decision is somewhat vindicated whilst at the same time some of those players may well need to review their own contributions of late.
This.
I've frequently looked at our team sheets expecting great things, but when push has come to shove, for whatever reason, it hasn't materialised.
I've no eye into the relationship between the coaches/coaches, coaches/players; but I often found myself wondering, why, on paper, a group of very talented individuals struggled to play as a collective?
There have been some good/promising performances this season, but they have been too infrequent.

Thank you for everything Richard.
A true servant of our club.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I note that he thanks PT and SC; wishes OTY and the team all the best for the future - but doesn't mention AM or any of the coaching staff.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Cockers out

Post by G.K »

Big Dai wrote:Here we go then! The dawn of a new era. Personally I thought more performances like yesterday would have been enough for him to keep his job......but apparently not. Deano revisited?

"The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the next war

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again, no, no" :smt035 :smt035
So you're a Who fan then Dai?
Greatest band ever!
Irony is that the song is from the album Who's Next.
So who is the next DoR then?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.