Departure of Cockerill

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Phil B
Super User
Super User

Re: Departure of Cockerill

Post by Phil B »

:smt024 It has come as a surprise to me. Yesterday’s game was a revelation - great spirit, attitude and no little skill – yes we lost, but for one error in midfield, and a bit more luck from penalty attempts, the result would have been a good win. So, thanks RC, I guess in sport, at professional level, it’s always the Head Coach/Manager/DOR (or whatever they are called) who gets the blame. But they know that. Good luck to AM for the rest of the season, and to whomever takes the helm, and thank you RC for all the many contributions you have made to our success over the last few years. Our record is excellent, overall, we simply have dropped off the summit a little. I have no idea whose fault that is, as with 99% of the people on this forum. :smt027

PS
If you are one of the 1% who do know, then please get your application in soon.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

sebco wrote:Very sad news, the man has green blood and always had the clubs best interests at heart. Good luck for the future Cockers and thank you for everything you have done for us. Personally i think its a huge mistake by the board, right up there with when they let Deano go and a completely unnecessary knee jerk reaction after what had been an excellent showing against the reigning champions and a game we could easily have won were it not for some appalling refereeing. Thanks for the memories Cockers.
:smt023

That said, Cockers himself said recently words to the effect that in the professional game you live and die by your current performance rather than your past achievements and on current performance things have fallen well below the expectations of supporters in general, many of which have been looking for his head on a stake for some time.

To say as Smudge does that he was never fit for purpose is clearly ridiculous based on his record alone and I have no doubt that it will not be long before he finds a new employer.

I tend to agree that the Board had made the decision for a change long before this weekend and it remains to be seen whether AM is the man to get the train back on the rails. I suspect he will be given the rest of this season to prove himself as the big issues of remaining in Europe and achieving a top 4 placing may well be settled long before any new blood can be brought in.

I have tickets for the Wasps game next week so I have an early chance to see if it was money well spent :smt017
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I think that the fault does not lay entirely at the door of Cockers but as an honourable man he has accepted and shouldered the responsibility. I have some sympathy with the view that board members should act similarly.
I'm not cynical just experienced
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

He makes mistakes the same as anyone but he cannot be held responsible for a catalogue of injuries and no money to replace them under the salary cap because the club has decided to invest elsewhere.

I liked him as a player and a coach and I shall mis his honest approach

Hopefully whoever takes over will play a scrum half like Harrison more who can pass and speed the game up by moving the ball from the breakdown at pace. Sadly the bloke we have now can do neither and seems more keen to play for England than leicester. Meanwhile his brother.. reasonable player though he is is no captain!

Cockers has been let down by many people both on and off the field but it is his neck on the block and the axe has fallen.

I agree he is is an honourable fella and I wish him the best of luck and hope he gets a coaching job elsewhere very quickly... hopefully somewhere nice and pleasant like the south of France
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

100% Tiger thanks Cockers

But all has not been right for some time and suspect this is the right call, timing aside
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Gutted. Hugely disappointed. Wrong decision at the wrong time unless a Plan B will be unwrapped by the Board in the next week. Ford + Ford anyone ? After all, Ford Senior doesn't seem to be setting Toulon alight.......or Bomber Lancaster ??

I am sure the Board didn't act with this in mind but at least RC's record shows that he ALWAYS had us finish in the top 4 come the end of the league season.....
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

tigerburnie wrote:I thought getting rid of Deano was a mistake and still do, I also think getting rid of Cockers is a mistake and probably always will.
The club will go on, all clubs are bigger than any individual, but not all clubs are Leicester Tigers and I fear our identity could be evaporating with the loss of their ethos that is ingrained and hard won. I have no idea who will come in, but I hope they have a Tigers connection as without it the club will not be the same.
Tigers are becoming unique in that for the most part, they are still a "club" rather than a franchise and in this money driven world, could end up compromising the values we have been used to.
Cockers has been hampered by financial constraints that some other clubs DoR's don't seem to have had the same trouble with.
I believe that this decision is not going to change anything results wise, unless other changes are also made.
This has the feel of "scapegoat" to me.
After reading a great deal about this today - this has to be perhaps the best and most insightful take of all. Our problems over recent years are not down to one man, and whilst I agree change is needed, I would say it is needed across the club as a whole. If we are to compete with others splashing the cash at both the playing aspect and infrastructure we need to up our game on more than the DoR front.

I'm not saying money is the single answer but business efficiency is. If we can't run the bars at a stadium properly what chance of creating an effective team on the park?
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I am very surprised by this!
Leicester were only one poor pass away from beating Saracens yesterday.
Some words of warning for those who think this is the best thing that could've happened, Richard has gone very easily, the speed of acceptance I'm not surprised by as there is a rotten core in development that has hindered the club to the point where just keeping the club in the top division could prove difficult in the future, Richard was holding it together as best he could given the competition elsewhere!
Finally better the devil you know!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The reality is this has been coming for some time. In the end Tigers play has not evolved and we have struggled against the better sides for some time. The odd dogged performance aside we have have gone from the meanest side in the league to one that ships far too many points and lacking the penetration to score against well organised sides.

The team hasn't looked the sum of its parts and the performances against Glasgow, Munster and Exeter looked those of a side who were rudderless and the players looked demoralised.

There is no questioning Cocker's effort and passion however his coaching appointments have been strange. The biggest club should not be where recently retired players get to coach the first team. Let's hope we get an experienced coach who gets the full support of the board, players and coaching staff who may remain. I fear that hasn't always been the case with past outside appointments.

Thank you for being a great servant of the club.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

mol2 wrote:There is no questioning Cocker's effort and passion however his coaching appointments have been strange. The biggest club should not be where recently retired players get to coach the first team. Let's hope we get an experienced coach who gets the full support of the board, players and coaching staff who may remain.
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

thebearisstilldeano wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:I thought getting rid of Deano was a mistake and still do, I also think getting rid of Cockers is a mistake and probably always will.
The club will go on, all clubs are bigger than any individual, but not all clubs are Leicester Tigers and I fear our identity could be evaporating with the loss of their ethos that is ingrained and hard won. I have no idea who will come in, but I hope they have a Tigers connection as without it the club will not be the same.
Tigers are becoming unique in that for the most part, they are still a "club" rather than a franchise and in this money driven world, could end up compromising the values we have been used to.
Cockers has been hampered by financial constraints that some other clubs DoR's don't seem to have had the same trouble with.
I believe that this decision is not going to change anything results wise, unless other changes are also made.
This has the feel of "scapegoat" to me.
After reading a great deal about this today - this has to be perhaps the best and most insightful take of all. Our problems over recent years are not down to one man, and whilst I agree change is needed, I would say it is needed across the club as a whole. If we are to compete with others splashing the cash at both the playing aspect and infrastructure we need to up our game on more than the DoR front.

I'm not saying money is the single answer but business efficiency is. If we can't run the bars at a stadium properly what chance of creating an effective team on the park?
Thanks for the comment, I wrote that from the heart, without really thinking about it before putting fingers to keyboard. There was a time when I did hear a bit of the behind the scenes info, that source dried a while back and I have no idea as to where we go from here.
As a born and bred Leicestershire man with a genuine love for the club, I just hope no knee jerk reactions occur and we take the rest of the season by the scruff of the neck. I read a comment by Bletherin that we can't finish at the top, bulwarks, we win our remaining games and we can achieve everything we desire.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
MikeGrace

Post by MikeGrace »

Once again the musings of a committee on the design of a HORSE has come with a CAMEL.
Anyone at Welford Road yesterday could not have failed to notice that the part of the team that is Richard Cockerills' speciality out-gunned the leading premiership team, dominating them completely. The team lost because of poor planning, handling, execution and support of the backs!!
SO TELL ME - Why sack the man who created the pack with very little expense and not the man in charge of the vastly over-expensive and under-achieving backs???
With the game swinging back to the powerful pack (just look at the leading French teams) I'm convinced Richards' removal is a monumental mistake.
I do wish you well for the future Richard and will not be surprised to see you in charge of a leading French team who want to play your style of rugby.
mothy
Tiger Cub

Post by mothy »

What a great debt we all owe to RC a man who has done so much for Tigers.
In one way I am pleased for him because he was being driven into a no-win situation.
I really hope he moves on and finds glory elsewhere.
As for Tigers lets hope like England and Bath a new man with pretty much the same squad can produce some epic results.
Now having taken the unpalatable decision we must carry on , move forward and not gaze inwardly at our navel
We all love Tigers , we all care lets find that person who will deliver for players , owners, bankers and fans alike !!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Robespierre wrote:It's tough at the top, and with Sarries and Wasps leading the way, Tigers in the meantime, have been left by the wayside. Surely the writing was on the wall a couple of seasons back, and I would have been tempted to have made changes then.
Erm, wasn't AM recruited then? :smt001
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cockers out

Post by tigercaspian »

Big Dai wrote:Here we go then! The dawn of a new era. Personally I thought more performances like yesterday would have been enough for him to keep his job......but apparently not. Deano revisited?

"The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the next war

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray