Next match- Coventry v Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Next match- Coventry v Tigers

Post by Qbec »

After a performance like todays(2nd Half particularly). I look forward to the next game & for the future with a great deal more confidence that whoever we come up against that this group of players will not only get better as they play together but will become a strong unit across the park.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

DaveRave wrote:Despite an abysmal first half we could've won that. But we just make far, far too many errors.
Agree Dave, and if we're honest, it's the second week running we've lost a game we should have won.

Put it context though, we've played the two best teams in the league and shoved them around in the pack: we're going through a major upheaval as a Club: one senior player has one leg out of the door and played like it today : some rubbish reffing from CMK today , particularly that first-half knock-on.

With the run -in we have for the rest of the season, that gives me grounds to be optimistic.

Two negatives outside the game:-
Sat in the North (Higgs) Stand. People going for a plumbing-check or more drinks all through both halves.....such a nuisance
Complete lack of silence for both teams kickers - just poor
Last edited by tigercaspian on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

tigercaspian wrote:
DaveRave wrote:Despite an abysmal first half we could've won that. But we just make far, far too many errors.
Agree Dave, and if we're honest, it's the second week running we've lost a game we should have one.

Put it context though, we've played the two best teams in the league and shoved them around in the pack: we're going through a major upheaval as a Club: one senior player has one leg out of the door and played like it today : some rubbish reffing from CMK today , particularly that first-half knock-on.

With the run -in we have for the rest of the season, that gives me grounds to be optimistic.

Two negatives outside the game:-
Sat in the North (Higgs) Stand. People going for a plumbing-check or more drinks all through both halves.....such a nuisance
Complete lack of silence for both teams kickers - just poor
But worse, by a country mile, is the lackwit on the P.A. Allez, Allez, Allez...
That was the deciding factor for me today so I watched from home.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Big Dai wrote:There is hope if we can get some consistency. Today we had the inconsistency in one game rather than over two weeks. It's all very well being enthused over the big hearted 2nd half show when the first half defence was absent.

I hope we can use the European games to consolidate and escape them without further absentees, either by injury or suspension.

Mystified by the refereeing, Over the ball for one team is off feet for another. Plus there's all the hue and cry over head injuries and high tackles but straight line out throws are still required, are they not? with the hooker OFF the park? (There was a dummy throw yesterday that went unpunished too?) The offside line is still a moveable feast and is poorly policed.

Are refs concentrating on the big issue of the day and ignoring the first principles of the game?
Agree that some of our first half defence was poor, but some of it was very good too. Wasps were camped in our 22 for about 10 minutes (or so it seemed) towards the middle / late stages of first half but we kept them out: it was a great effort against a team that has scored a shed-load of points this year
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

tigercaspian wrote:
Big Dai wrote:There is hope if we can get some consistency. Today we had the inconsistency in one game rather than over two weeks. It's all very well being enthused over the big hearted 2nd half show when the first half defence was absent.

I hope we can use the European games to consolidate and escape them without further absentees, either by injury or suspension.

Mystified by the refereeing, Over the ball for one team is off feet for another. Plus there's all the hue and cry over head injuries and high tackles but straight line out throws are still required, are they not? with the hooker OFF the park? (There was a dummy throw yesterday that went unpunished too?) The offside line is still a moveable feast and is poorly policed.

Are refs concentrating on the big issue of the day and ignoring the first principles of the game?
Agree that some of our first half defence was poor, but some of it was very good too. Wasps were camped in our 22 for about 10 minutes (or so it seemed) towards the middle / late stages of first half but we kept them out: it was a great effort against a team that has scored a shed-load of points this year
Wasps were on record as scoring 59 tries in there 9 home games this season....
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

LE18 wrote:Betham similar to Worth's drop, both took their eyes off ball, such a pity, we were almost certain to score!

Game reminded me of the song, "hello mother, hellow father" has the sun finely come out, backs started to move ball impressively in 2nd half!

Did anyone else think there was a double high tackle by Wasps on 30 secs remaining, when Gopperth got hurt, I thought we should have had a penalty and them a yellow card, No one mentioned it, why? :smt017
Did Goppeth not clash heads with a team mate just before the tackle?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

............But in the first half of the first half our defence was missing??

I thought we actually looked quite positive going forward but coughed the ball up to tactics in the Wasps defence that drew penalties at the other end?

Sorry.........would have quoted ..........but software seems to have a headache!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

TigerCam wrote:
LE18 wrote:Betham similar to Worth's drop, both took their eyes off ball, such a pity, we were almost certain to score!

Game reminded me of the song, "hello mother, hellow father" has the sun finely come out, backs started to move ball impressively in 2nd half!

Did anyone else think there was a double high tackle by Wasps on 30 secs remaining, when Gopperth got hurt, I thought we should have had a penalty and them a yellow card, No one mentioned it, why? :smt017
In real time, I thought it was 2 high tackles but, having watched it again (with both eyes :smt002 ) I would say that Worth goes down, leaving Daly and Gopperth with a clash of heads.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerCam wrote:

Possibly, but irrelevant IMHO. Gopperth's straight arm went across the face of the Tigers player. Should have been a pen and a yellow (going on the evidence from the Allianz yesterday that whether the player is upright or falling over is also irrelevant).
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Watched recording of the game knowing the result and that we had come back from 19-0, so was looking at the general performance. Some really poor defending in the first 10 minutes to go 12-0 down and again to go 19-0 down. Reminded me of the start of the season. The rest of the half I felt was fairly even. Wasps looked better in attack (as they ruddy well should).

Second half, felt we had the upper hand but didn't have the confidence in the backs to finish things off. We "won" the last 70 minutes 16-10 and the last 30 16-3. Shame about the first 10 but once again we made Wasps look a lot less than people say they are, albeit we lost both games.
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

TigerCam wrote:Thinking back to the game today. Am I right in thinking that there were no 'head-high' tackles? Given the 'direct lines' that the Tigers ran I am surprised that both sides played the new directive well?
Yes, there were none. That said Wade should have been pinged and binned for a high tackle on Thacker, in which Wade jumped up to grab him and pulled him into touch with his arm around the neck. I'm not talking a George North jump, he just tried to grab the shoulders to bring him down but got it all wrong but it should have been a yellow.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
TigerCam wrote:

Possibly, but irrelevant IMHO. Gopperth's straight arm went across the face of the Tigers player. Should have been a pen and a yellow (going on the evidence from the Allianz yesterday that whether the player is upright or falling over is also irrelevant).
Im pretty sure that our player went down with a arm wrapped around his neck!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

LE18 wrote:
Im pretty sure that our player went down with a arm wrapped around his neck!
Christian Wade certainly dragged Charlie Thacker into touch by his neck
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

No, i'm talking about 79 mins 26 sec in the match, I watched game on recording, not sure if missus has wiped it, will try to take another look, but it was when Gopperth got injured and everyone seemed distracted and only wanted to talk about injury!
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

LE18 wrote:No, i'm talking about 79 mins 26 sec in the match, I watched game on recording, not sure if missus has wiped it, will try to take another look, but it was when Gopperth got injured and everyone seemed distracted and only wanted to talk about injury!
Just watched it back, Goppeth and Daly try to mince Worth, in their defence it looks like he loses his footing trying to accelerate into the contact and dips and they both spin round him and clash heads behind his back.