Teams up v Saracens

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: Teams up v Saracens

Post by drc_007 »

Magnificent amounts of effort from the pack, really took the game to Saracens and deserved better for all their effort. Without Manu I just can't see where the backs are going to score a try.

Let down by silly errors under pressure
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

TigerCam wrote:What a stupid decision not to scrum with Sarries against the wall :smt013
Cockers thought so too! If you recorded the match you won't need to be an expert lip reader to interpret what he said at that point.

Wears his heart on his sleeve does Cockers.

Wasn't Gengie great today!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well at least Tigers put up more of a fight than some recent games but always looked like they were going to come off second best. Too static, some poor kicks and poor decision making (Safas on the ropes 5m out and we go for a penalty??). Tigers don't look like they could score a try against Saffas if they played until next Christmas. Good job Farrell was still sloshed from last night.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

A fair amount to talk about today: Manu's injury, some poor officiating IMO, good effort all round. Thought Freddie was great and Tom Brady played well.

End of game was a farce. Saracens wasting time a scrums etc. I'd really like to see a rule change as a penalty after time has expired is of limited value if you are 4+ behind. Don't see why you shouldn't be able to kick for touch or at least move play 10 yards on. Saracens were highly professional at using the laws to their advantage at the end.

One sour note to end on: the morons shouting at Farrell when he was about to kick. Will you be doing that when he is playing for England and the Lions? Get a life!
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

They are due to trial the law where you can kick for touch from a penalty after time. Maybe increase a penalty to 5 points after the 80 as well might stop some of the cynical play.

Incredibly poor (and negative) decision from Youngs before half time. We really had the ascendancy at that point - had just stuffed them in the scrum and turned the ball over and hacked the ball down the pitch, really rattled Goode which won us the scrum that we once again stuffed them in and won the penalty. I think JP would have been hard pushed to not go to his pocket if we had got another scrum penalty at that point.

I'm afraid to say after the last couple of weeks the captaincy MUST go back to Slater
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Just got back from a wet Crumbie Terrace. Enjoyed the game in difficult conditions and thought the pack played very well, as did Burns, Roberts and Brady.

Unfortunately our half backs were not at their best, and except from a possible break away, we just never looked like scoring a try through the backs.

Yes a surprising decision from OTY on half time, no Leicester team of old would have done that, shows a general lack of confidence, it was a defensive decision. But in those conditions it was a 50/50 call, if only OW hadn't missed the kick!

By far the more surprising decision to me, was to kick for goal with about 8 mins still on the clock when we were 7 points behind.

We could easily have kicked that right into the corner and stood a chance of scoring through the forwards. As it was we were then 4 points behind so still needed a try to win the game, but we never got close to their 22 again. Another really defensive decision, trying to make sure of the LBP rather than actually win the match.

So a decent performance against a very good side, just some poor decisions (and that YBY pass!) let us down in a tight match.

I thought Itoje was immense today, he was everywhere, into everything, did he get MOTM?
Soggypitch
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Generally an Improved performance I thought. Could and perhaps should have won it.
I'm not cynical just experienced
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Soggypitch wrote:I thought Itoje was immense today, he was everywhere, into everything, did he get MOTM?
Owen Farrell was MOTM I think - not in my opinion though.

Itoje did play well but I'd rather he didn't go into challenges, charge downs or otherwise, with his feet - particularly with what appeared to be 'studs up'. Only a matter of time before one of those connects very badly. (Not watched it back yet though, may think differently)

Thought our defence was pretty good, certainly much much improved and but for a complete brain fade from Youngs B, Sarries didn't look much like getting through IMO.

Not much in attack though and when we did get an opportunity Youngs, B, decides to take on the Sarries 2nd row and gets himself held up......mindless IMO, not the time to do that..
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Soggypitch wrote:Just got back from a wet Crumbie Terrace. Enjoyed the game in difficult conditions and thought the pack played very well, as did Burns, Roberts and Brady.

Unfortunately our half backs were not at their best, and except from a possible break away, we just never looked like scoring a try through the backs.

Yes a surprising decision from OTY on half time, no Leicester team of old would have done that, shows a general lack of confidence, it was a defensive decision. But in those conditions it was a 50/50 call, if only OW hadn't missed the kick!

By far the more surprising decision to me, was to kick for goal with about 8 mins still on the clock when we were 7 points behind.

We could easily have kicked that right into the corner and stood a chance of scoring through the forwards. As it was we were then 4 points behind so still needed a try to win the game, but we never

got close to their 22 again. Another really defensive decision, trying to make sure of the LBP rather than actually win the match.

So a decent performance against a very good side, just some poor decisions (and that YBY pass!) let us down in a tight match.

I thought Itoje was immense today, he was everywhere, into everything, did he get MOTM?
Pretty much with you on all if this although it was not just YBY's dire pass that led to the try but coupled with the backs decision to back of from OF as he ran at them.
Wonder if at the end of the season we'll look back on this game as the one that got away? Apart from giving away the try, I thought we had them under control .
Even Steve J was happy on RL on the way down the M1 !
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Tom Youngs captaincy is poor, his brother was found wanting, again! His usual trick of waving his arms at the ref instead of securing the ruck ball cost us 70 metres territory!

We played a lot better than of late but no cutting edge, poor decision making at vital moments and, as mentioned elsewhere, not kicking for touch with about 8 mins to go, all far too negative.

We need a new and refreshing mindset, whether that comes with new coach(s) or from somewhere else I don't know, but I think it needs to come now rather than at the end of the season when it will definitely be too late!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Went much as expected. If we are going to win against to sides, confident in performance we've got to cut the brain fades. Three cost us dear in my view, and that opinion seems to tally with other posters. The scrum not taken before half time, Ben running into trouble and being held up and the shovel pass that led to the try.

The pack went well, especially the scrum and the defence was much improved. That said we looked as likely to score a try as I am of flying. Too much possession went backwards, pushed back by a committed Sarries defensive unit. Is it me or does it live in offside street?

I feel sorry for Manu.....but there is the question against his injury prone-ness (if that's a word) and I wonder what we else could afford for his salary. Harsh perhaps......but I bet there are others out there with the same thought.

Same effort required next week......though I wonder what we will have left standing? Any news on any returns?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Structured Sarries defence didn't allow the Tigers any gain-line success. Sarries score a try by putting the Tigers under pressure and forcing a rushed mistake.

As Sanderson said, the Sarries England players bring their England mentality to the club game. If Plan A don't work use Plan B. Also, all their players 'buy into the system' no matter who is in the match 23.

IMO the Tigers have the players it is the direction that is poor.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

ellis9 wrote:No comments on the match so far? Is it because we are playing well and not losing?

6-6 at half time. Good, physical 1st half from Tigers

More of the same for the next 40
Difficult and painful to type with no fingernails.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

TigerCam wrote:Structured Sarries defence didn't allow the Tigers any gain-line success. Sarries score a try by putting the Tigers under pressure and forcing a rushed mistake.

As Sanderson said, the Sarries England players bring their England mentality to the club game. If Plan A don't work use Plan B. Also, all their players 'buy into the system' no matter who is in the match 23.

IMO the Tigers have the players it is the direction that is poor.
How does the "direction" prevent the brain fades? From where I was standing there was a change of atmosphere on and off the pitch after the try went in. Everything got rushed and more pressured.
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

Just watching the game again. Although yby perhaps shouldn't have gone on his own in the first half, jp called maul once yby had hit the ground!