Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Teams up v Saracens

Post by BFG »

LE18
No one has mentioned the penalty that JP gave against McCaffrey, no way was he off his feet, he dived over bodies on the ground to make a super tackle, how/why was that a penalty?
ellis9 wrote:100% agree that wasn't a penalty. No idea why JP Doyle thought he was off his feet! Luckily Farrell missed the kick anyway. :smt003
I assume JPD did McCaffery for jumping over the breakdown to tackle the 9 rather than coming around the breakdown as he should.
As far as I am aware you are not allowed to jump over the ruck to tackle the 9.
I wasn't in perfect line but really didn't need to be, I saw enough to be confident that the tackler definitely didn't come from around the breakdown in this instance.
I don't really see how it was anything other than a penalty as given!
JPD not my favourite but was consistent for both sides today IMO.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

No, apparently it was for being off his feet. He wasn't off his feet.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I was at the game today on the Crumbie Terrace. It did go a bit quiet after their try but the noise came back in the last 10 mins.

I thought JP had a poor match. First off side penalty was in the 2nd half against Tigers - really! Wolf pack = off side. Even at the kick offs and penalties. McCaffey off his feet was ridiculous. However, in from the side by our captain was stupid. I fear OTY needs a captain to keep his enthusiasm and frustration under control if we are to be a top 4 finisher this year. I have sympathy for the decision to take the penalty rather than another scrum at the end of the first half. As others have said, JP could have given a penalty the other way. He was obviously not going to give a penalty lightly. The Tigers scrum was on good form, and that was great to see, but the game has moved on (back?) to being a method to restart the game rather than a source of penalties, again Tigers need to adapt and play the ball for a try scoring game.

YBY has probably lost the Lions starting shirt to Conor Murray with his Tigers performances since his return. The break downs are far far too slow. We never see forwards coming round the corner and making ground. They have arrived, had a coffee and twiddled their thumbs and are stationary waiting for the scrum half (any that are the starter) to finish flapping their arms and trying to milk a penalty. The refs are not interested in the laws, they are game managers for the TV spectacle. Get over it an get on a play the ball.

The physicality was better, defence was good, there were fewer mistakes, although ball retention is poor and dropping the ball at the attacking line out was very poor. The game plan understandable given the conditions but were we ever going to win against Sarries following it? I do not think so.

Good weather and the same intensity next week and we could get something. Coaches needs to sub earlier to get the game flowing if players do not perform.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ellis9 wrote:No, apparently it was for being off his feet. He wasn't off his feet.
No idea then, didn't look on his feet to me anyway as far as I can remember, I'd have to watch it again to be certain.
I thought that he dived over the top of bodies on the floor as LE18 stated which would be the bodies from the ruck, that is what I saw although as said I didn't see the perfect angle.
I thought he'd nailed the 9 good and proper at first and then realised you can't dive over the ruck to do it.
JPD is closer than anyone so I assumed that is what happened.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

He came around the ruck, legally and tackled Spencer, legally.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ellis9 wrote:He came around the ruck, legally and tackled Spencer, legally.
Well we disagree then.
Specsavers aren't bad value!
I thought as LE18 stated he dived over the top.
JPD also thought so.
No big deal either way in the end, not really worth arguing.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

BFG wrote:As far as I am aware you are not allowed to jump over the ruck to tackle the 9.
As I recall, Spencer had picked the ball up, surely that's ball out / ruck over?
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

ellis9 wrote:He came around the ruck, legally and tackled Spencer, legally.
Ellis, he jumped over the ruck and dived at the 9. It was a penalty!
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
BFG wrote:As far as I am aware you are not allowed to jump over the ruck to tackle the 9.
As I recall, Spencer had picked the ball up, surely that's ball out / ruck over?
I think the defender/tackler keeps the ruck active in coming over it in those circumstances.
Maybe a qualified ref could put us right!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Ben Kay agreed it was not legal. He has refereeing qualifications, so I tend to accept his opinion.
Valhalla I am coming!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

From where I was sat it looked fine. Most of the crowd thought so too.

Maybe I am wrong but it seemed fine to me. Also this is the rule about when the ruck is over:

16.6 Successful end to a ruck
A ruck ends successfully when the ball leaves the ruck, or when the ball is on or over the goal line.

So when the scrum half picks the ball up, the ruck is over, meaning there is no ruck for McCaffery to jump over so therefore, no penalty. Correct or is that too simple?
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

on the subject of penalties , why did sarries get a penalty when otoje blocked a kick through with his foot? if anything was said on tv we missed it???
cheers
Rich
leic

Post by leic »

Beaten by the best team in Europe. Arguably we could have won the game. Forwards, especially front row were excellent, but until the injuries to key players stops, and we buy some more world class players, this is what it is at the moment. We can't compete with sarries and wasps.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Burns is our best 10 and needs to start when available . Williams very ordinary for the 2nd week running . Scrum good but lineout a shambles. We will be lucky to make top 6 based on recent showings .
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

leic wrote:Beaten by the best team in Europe. Arguably we could have won the game. Forwards, especially front row were excellent, but until the injuries to key players stops, and we buy some more world class players, this is what it is at the moment. We can't compete with sarries and wasps.
There were defiantly positive individual performances from the match, Roberts, Thompstone, Genge,Burns all impressed, Tigers are just not clinical at the vital times, the main blame must sit with Williams yesterday, the missed penalty before half time then the missed kick to touch for the penalty in the last 10, Saracens didn't have to get out of 2nd gear, they knew if their defence stayed solid then Farrells boot would win the game, sad to see Manu disappear again, looked like a nasty knock, i think Wasps will do a clinical job on us next week, even with a full strength team I think we're no longer in the Saracens, Wasps bracket, looks like a fight for 5th and 6th with Saints, Quins and possibly Newcastle.