Injury Update

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Injury Update

Post by Bunchy »

Cockers told the media today that JP is out for 6/8 weeks after surgery on his pectoral muscle.
Marcos should be back this weekend, Ben and Tom will be back too and Mike Williams will be available despite his head knock.
Less is more....
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Injury Update

Post by Coops »

Whilst injuries are unforeseen and unfortunate, that's a lot of salaries taken up on injuries (JPP and Toomua)
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Coops wrote:Whilst injuries are unforeseen and unfortunate, that's a lot of salaries taken up on injuries (JPP and Toomua)
So we should just sign inexpensive journeymen, so that when they are injured, not much salary is being spent. :smt002
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
Coops wrote:Whilst injuries are unforeseen and unfortunate, that's a lot of salaries taken up on injuries (JPP and Toomua)
So we should just sign inexpensive journeymen, so that when they are injured, not much salary is being spent. :smt002
Problem is that they are not the ones that get injured :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Bunchy wrote:Cockers told the media today that JP is out for 6/8 weeks after surgery on his pectoral muscle.
Marcos should be back this weekend, Ben and Tom will be back too and Mike Williams will be available despite his head knock.

Maybe but that still leaves several key players out - Dom Barrow injured October 23 out till the end of Jan, Tait, Veainu, Croft, McCaffrey, Rizzo, Catchpole, and Wooly Pully Mulipola too. :smt022
Alandrin75
Tiger Cub

Post by Alandrin75 »

wormus wrote:
Bunchy wrote:Cockers told the media today that JP is out for 6/8 weeks after surgery on his pectoral muscle.

Maybe but that still leaves several key players out - Dom Barrow injured October 23 out till the end of Jan, Tait, Veainu, Croft, McCaffrey, Rizzo, Catchpole, and Wooly Pully Mulipola too. :smt022
Barrow, Tait and Veainu have had serious concussions from memory.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

These are the injury updates as far as I am aware:

Injuries BACKS (6)
---------------------------
Matt Toomua - Centre - Ruptured Anterior Cruciate Ligament - (23rd Oct) - 6 Months

Mat Tait - Full Back - Broken Jaw - (20th Nov) - 6-8 Weeks - 15th Jan

Telusa Veainu - Wing/Full Back - Head Injury - (23rd Oct) - Possible Lengthy Spell - Post Xmas ???

George Catchpole - Centre - Posterior Cruciate Ligament (Knee) - (4th Nov) - ???

Matt Smith - Centre - Ankle Injury - (15th Nov) - 4 Weeks - ???

J P Pietersen - Wing - Torn Pectoral Muscle (Surgery) - (28th Dec) - 6-8 Weeks - 25th Feb

Injuries FORWARDS (6)
--------------------------------
Fraser Balmain - THP - ???? - ???

Michele Rizzo - LHP - Torn Calf - (29th Nov Mercury Cockers) Still 2-3 weeks away

Don Barrow - 2nd Row - Head Injury - (23rd Oct) - Upto 12 Weeks - 28th Jan?

Tom Croft - 2nd Row - Food Poisoning (3rd Dec) - ???

Logovi'i Mulipola - LHP - Twisted Knee - ???

Marcos Ayerza - LHP - Pulled Calf Muscle - (20th Nov) - 2 Weeks - 3rd Jan?
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

I think Veainu's injury was whilst playing for Tonga not Tigers and hence the estimated 12 weeks will push him into late February.
TigerintheCatStand
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TigerintheCatStand »

Many thanks Qbec for that, much appreciated. I wish the club did more to keep us updated on injuries. They believe that the club's best interests are in keeping this information quiet. I can see the logic but find it frustrating nonetheless.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Talking of injuries, I see that Manu has been named in a 33-man England training squad for a two-day camp in Brighton next week. They'd better not injure him! :smt018
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Seal
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Seal »

Is Tomas Leonardi injured or has he left now Williams is back fit? He seemed to do a decent job in the AWC game vs Bath
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

One accepts that injuries will happen the problem is whether its due to the tight budget or lack of suitable talent, that our replacements are performing below par this season, let's hope we can spring a surprise tomorrow and continue our run of good home performances.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

strawclearer wrote:Talking of injuries, I see that Manu has been named in a 33-man England training squad for a two-day camp in Brighton next week. They'd better not injure him! :smt018
Having just seen him limp off looking exceedingly disconsolate, I wish I'd kept my mouth shut! :smt009
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

strawclearer wrote:
strawclearer wrote:Talking of injuries, I see that Manu has been named in a 33-man England training squad for a two-day camp in Brighton next week. They'd better not injure him! :smt018
Having just seen him limp off looking exceedingly disconsolate, I wish I'd kept my mouth shut! :smt009
Looks like they won't get the chance :smt012
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

A few years ago I was told that coaches have to assume that 25% of the squad will be unavailable due to injury, if anything it seems the number of long-term injuries seem to be increasing.

If we look at last year's England grand slam winning team, because of injuries Itoge and Cole are the only members of the pack currently playing and Itoge missed the autumn internationals through injury (and of course Hartley is suspended).

Is this now the "normal" level of attrition we should expect?