Ticket prices- view of an ex season ticket holder

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

d86

Ticket prices- view of an ex season ticket holder

Post by d86 »

Just booked my tickets for the Saracens game, four bronze tickets have just cost me £157. I guess someone has to pay for that new stand! As extended family and friends we all used to have season tickets but now pick the games we actually want to see (no offence Worcester). Speaking to colleagues at work it seems we are not alone in this, as the new capacity means there is almost always tickets available. It would be interesting to see what has happened to season ticket holder numbers in the past couple of years, stagnated would be my guess. IMHO season tickets are just not value for money anymore.

For match day tickets, I wouldn’t mind paying £40 during the Johnson era, when we were watching the best team in Europe, but this current side are a few rungs down from those heady days. Value for money? Nah. We also watch Leicester City, where recent champion’s league tickets cost us £28 each for comparison. The small touches like the odd free beer, doughnuts and clappers (boo) really make the difference to the supporter experience. A season ticket down at the KP can cost as little as £365, about the same as Tigers average price. Not being funny, but there’s a lot more teams in the premier league, so many more games!

We live within walking distance to Welford Road but with these prices and most games on telly where’s the incentive? The pre-season fixture against Ospreys is a prime example, it was a Friday night and we had nothing on, let’s go watch the Tigers we thought. £18 to watch a pre-season friendly! It should have been £5.

The club are pricing many supporters out of the game, clearly they are targeting a different type of fan to LCFC. That type of fan in my experience generally creates the atmosphere (Unless we play Munster every week). As John Lennon once put it ‘Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest just rattle your jewellery’ on that note I wonder how much those padded seats that are always empty cost…
With Wasps, Saracens, Bath and Saints at home all played, are prices going to be reduced?
Merry Christmas! :smt030 :smt030
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Ticket prices- view of an ex season ticket holder

Post by jgriffin »

Two sides to this - it would cost that much to watch Chiefs, standing. Many AP clubs are more expensive than Tigers. The other side is STHs like me get a bit sick when offers mean it could've been cheaper to buy tickets individually.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

It is certainly true that Tigers are not the most expensive to watch in the Premiership but I tend to agree that our ticket pricing is starting to put off the casual supporter .We live closer to Coventry than Leicester and it is a fact of life that wasps are picking up traditional leicester support in the area because of their relatively cheaper tickets - although to be fair the Wasps style of play may be helping .

Even people with season tickets are missing games regularly these days , mainly due to inconvenient match days and K.O times , and unless pricing starts to reflect these issues and our average playing performances I suspect that the trend will continue .
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

John the griff don't disparage being a season ticket holder even if from time to time discount offers on match tickets appear. Don't forget we can purchase away rickets and important match tickets at least two days if not more before they go on sale to the general public.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

More capacity was always going to be a threat to season tickets but they seem to be holding up reasonably well and the extra revenue from the big matches (25k+) must make the cost of extra capacity worth while.

All in all Tigers is good value and cheaper than most RU Premiership grounds. In the end a balance has to be struck such that support is not lost whilst at the same time we break even or make a small overall profit each season. In this way we keep control of the club with the shareholders rather than a 'sugar daddy'.

As for the 'posh seats', without the corporate punters or those with sufficient funds to pay for the package of a silver service meal before the game and snacks at half time coupled with a private bar, it would be a lot more expensive for the rest so as far as I am concerned long may the jewelry rattle :smt023

Merry Christmas to all :smt029
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Leicester Tigers STHs, as with many sports, are from many different areas of society. Some are wealthy, and can afford to pay much higher prices for comfortable seats and hospitality. Some are less well off, and can only afford standing. To me it doesn't matter, as I view my ST as good value as I chose to buy it!. I think if we were top of the Premiership, and on our way to a home European Q/F then this wouldn't be under discussion.
I think that comparison with Wasps is unfair, as they are continually looking at ways to promote their team in its new home, and fill the ground. This to me, makes sound business sense as they are building a supporter base. A comparison with Saints might be more sensible!
However, they could give me a free season ticket for life at either, and I wouldn't be at all interested!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Noddy seems to have purchased a ricket, John Griffin I believe is an excellent chap but is not Johnthegriff. Tigers season tickets are good value, casual visitors pay more per match than the regular attender with a season ticket. City fans do not even approach paying the teams wages, this is met in the main by the excessive amounts paid by television. Rugby does not get the same funding, players are paid considerably less than footballers but due to injuries rugby needs bigger squads. We moan about too few A league games but when did you last see a city reserve match?
Comparing us with Wasps is wrong, Leicester are trying to continue as a sustainable business. Time will tell if Wasps are able to continue to lose money at their current rate or if they will disappear once the property development company decides not to subsidise them for ever.
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

d86 wrote: A season ticket down at the KP can cost as little as £365, about the same as Tigers average price. Not being funny, but there’s a lot more teams in the premier league, so many more games!
You cant compare the cheapest ticket at the city with the average price at welford road....

I pay £100 less than the city ticket , for my season ticket at welford road, which also includes 3 european games and 3 cup games
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

johnthegriff wrote:Noddy seems to have purchased a ricket, John Griffin I believe is an excellent chap but is not Johnthegriff. Tigers season tickets are good value, casual visitors pay more per match than the regular attender with a season ticket. City fans do not even approach paying the teams wages, this is met in the main by the excessive amounts paid by television. Rugby does not get the same funding, players are paid considerably less than footballers but due to injuries rugby needs bigger squads. We moan about too few A league games but when did you last see a city reserve match?
Comparing us with Wasps is wrong, Leicester are trying to continue as a sustainable business. Time will tell if Wasps are able to continue to lose money at their current rate or if they will disappear once the property development company decides not to subsidise them for ever.
Totally agree Johnthe griff but Noddy is on salt for rickets :smt043
Here is one he said earlier -
Noddy555 wrote:
"I don't know about you but I treat anything that Will Greenwood says about anything with a whole mine full of Salt. The guy is continually wrong about most subjects he comments on, and I've known him for about 25 years". And Noddy never makes mistakes. :smt017
Happy Christmas to all!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

I tend to think of my ST as good value for money; the argument around the value proposition reducing when we are less successful, imho, is illogical. The rationale for this is that we lose so few games at home, so most of the games I've been to on my season ticket have culminated in wins.

The match day experience overall, however, is another matter. It baffles me as to how we consistently fail in the catering department. Often, I am faced with choosing either a half time drink (usually flat and poor quality, served by a disinterested and disengaged teenager) or a trip to the loo. If I try to do both, I miss the start of the second half. Rocket science, it is not...

Therefore, from a sporting perspective, I get good value. From an overall perspective, there is much to improve upon.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

The price may be OK but its the quality on the pitch that sets the value
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

John the Griff and John Griffin can you do us all a favour and one of you change your handle in the forum so we know whose posted what?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Noddy555 wrote:John the Griff and John Griffin can you do us all a favour and one of you change your handle in the forum so we know whose posted what?
Easy to distinguish between johnthegriff and jgriffin. Can't see other users confusing the two.....

Take a pause, read and check. It may help to quote/copy the posts to which you refer or reply (there's a button that does it for you) directly, that way as you are typing your reply you'll have the name in front of you....rather than just typing the (wrong) name.

Merry Christmas....have a wonderful day and festive period.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.