The search for an 8 continues

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: The search for an 8 continues

Post by RagingBull »

The rugby paper mentions that Amanaki Mafi is interested in returning to the AP.

Yes please.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

grobyman wrote:If Tom Youngs can move from centre to hooker, what about Ellis Genge from prop to number 8. He is a big unit, aggressive and can carry.....

Just a thought!!!
RagingBull wrote:The rugby paper mentions that Amanaki Mafi is interested in returning to the AP.

Yes please.
I know you can't go purely on size but - Genge played most of his junior rugby at 8 I think; handled and ran pretty damn well against Sarries - and is the same height and a stone heavier than Amanaki Mafi!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

strawclearer wrote:
grobyman wrote:If Tom Youngs can move from centre to hooker, what about Ellis Genge from prop to number 8. He is a big unit, aggressive and can carry.....

Just a thought!!!
RagingBull wrote:The rugby paper mentions that Amanaki Mafi is interested in returning to the AP.

Yes please.
I know you can't go purely on size but - Genge played most of his junior rugby at 8 I think; handled and ran pretty damn well against Sarries - and is the same height and a stone heavier than Amanaki Mafi!
Lacks his speed and step. (Also would rather have the two of them running of a ruck than having to pick one or the other.

Not many props with Genges carrying, could get our own Mako and Billy pairing.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Looks like our big signing at number 8 is Sione Kalamafoni from Glouster according to the other thread.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Spicer wrote:Looks like our big signing at number 8 is Sione Kalamafoni from Glouster according to the other thread.

Don't remember seeing the word big 8 signing.

Who to say this is our only 8 signing.

(If it happens).
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

The No8 at Chiefs is pretty handy, suits a driving maul too as I recall.

Mind you, a DoR would have to be insane to let a player like that go.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Roly wrote:The No8 at Chiefs is pretty handy, suits a driving maul too as I recall.

He reminds me of a player we used to have, started out well but then every time he came on the pitch conceded penalty after penalty.. :smt002
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
stanlycam1

Post by stanlycam1 »

Steve Mafi would do
grobyman

Post by grobyman »

Roly wrote:The No8 at Chiefs is pretty handy, suits a driving maul too as I recall.

Reminds me of a player we had who in his final contract year played to a level not have it renewed? I recall he was awful that year a major step down from previous seasons. Not saying that he wouldn't fit now but this was three years ago and time moves on, can't look back, you can affect tomorrow but not yesterday.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

daktari wrote:

He reminds me of a player we used to have, started out well but then every time he came on the pitch conceded penalty after penalty.. :smt002
Rumour has it that a decent DoR or forwards coach was able to develop the player's discipline and turn him into the Premiership's top try scorer last year.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

grobyman wrote:

Reminds me of a player we had who in his final contract year played to a level not have it renewed? I recall he was awful that year a major step down from previous seasons. Not saying that he wouldn't fit now but this was three years ago and time moves on, can't look back, you can affect tomorrow but not yesterday.
Its funny how the exact same bloke, playing a very similar style of rugby, went on to rip up trees for Exeter the very next season. But then decent coaching staff will always get the best from their players...

I expect rumours of personality clashes and mis-management were just that - rumours?

I agree though, don't look back, but I'm not entirely sure that under the present circumstances, Mafi would be better than Waldrom if either were to return.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Difference is we want a player with a high work rate.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Bit like the rumours at Chiefs, then, which I get from my bro STH and a mate employed there. There have been ructions including a disciplinary suspension a year or so ago, which you can check as it was reported nationally.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

RagingBull wrote:

Difference is we want a player with a high work rate.
You're taking the :censored: obviously, since the player in question comes close to the top of pretty much every stat in the AP for a No8 (tries scored and carries to name but two). Only Billy and Nathan are better in terms of carries, and they're playing for the two teams at the top of the table.
Last edited by Roly on Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

jgriffin wrote:Bit like the rumours at Chiefs, then, which I get from my bro STH and a mate employed there. There have been ructions including a disciplinary suspension a year or so ago, which you can check as it was reported nationally.
One disciplinary a year or so ago.....whoa! Scary monsters...

According to my friend Rob Hunter, who I served with (yes he had a previous job you know), and still remain in regular contact with, there isn't anything out of the ordinary going on at Chiefs with regards to this matter. I discussed it with him specifically after RC was fired, since there is a wider discussion to be had regarding 'culture' at other clubs.