Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Exeter v Tigers - 24th December 2016

Post by Spicer »

Jumbo wrote:No Youngs.

Leicester Tigers (v Exeter Chiefs, away, Saturday 3.00pm)
15 Freddie Burns
14 Adam Thompstone
13 Jack Roberts
12 Manu Tuilagi
11 Peter Betham
10 Owen Williams
9 Sam Harrison
1 Ellis Genge
2 George McGuigan
3 Pat Cilliers
4 Ed Slater (c)
5 Mike Fitzgerald
6 Mike Williams
7 Brendon O'Connor
8 Luke Hamilton

Replacements
16 Harry Thacker
17 Logovi'i Mulipola
18 Dan Cole
19 Graham Kitchener
20 Will Evans
21 Jono Kitto
22 George Worth
23 Tom Brady
I know Worth has been a bit up and down in his performances but I think dropping him is a little harsh as he been okay so far, especially for Burns who I didn't know could play full back. Our forwards on the bench look stronger than those starting to me. Thacker>McGuigan
PaleoTiger

Post by PaleoTiger »

+1 Spicer, surprised to see Worth dispensed with and Burns moved out of position to cover, if Worth is our best FB, then play him.

Interesting to see what is up with OTY, seemed OK last week, wonder if a back issue again. No McCaffrey, but Hamilton has been playing well so hopefully this is a positive choice not an injury cover. YBY out as well, or are they both at the same Xmas party?? Hope that YBY isn't another injury, we will miss him for next few games if it is.

What is the story with JPP? Last I'd heard on RL podcast post SA return was a slight knee issue, now he's no where or seemingly out longer term, what is he out with?

Looks a good abbrasive team in the forwards to compete with Exeter, personally gutted this is on 24/12 as Exe is a great away trip, but not on this date!

Merry Xmas to all and well done to those that are going down to this away trip.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

To not be playing local teams on 24th Dec is just stupid planning really...

Well done to anyone going your support cannot be questioned (or you are a glutton for traffic jams :smt003 )

Burns at fullback will be interesting..pity we don't get to see this on TV as is an interesting game imo and could count for a lot...will be surprised if we come away with anything bar a losing bonus if I am honest..
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

PaleoTiger wrote:+1 Spicer, surprised to see Worth dispensed with and Burns moved out of position to cover, if Worth is our best FB, then play him.
Maybe it is an experiment to see if we can accommodate Burns, Williams and Ford next season. Freddie won't like it as he would have to change his Mercedes-Benz number plate from FB10TEN!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Chiefs at near full strength, we aren't.....
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

jgriffin wrote:Chiefs at near full strength, we aren't.....
Agreed it's so long ago we fielded a full strength team that I cannot remember when it was? :smt010
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
BirstallBrian
Tiger Cub

Post by BirstallBrian »

Am confused....... a frequent occurence but one that I mostly live with, but enough of that.
Given that consistency of team selection - ie players growing familiar with who's playing next to them and playing with confidence because of that - why..... :smt017

#is Burns at full back, not at 10, is it for his tackling ability....
# if Worth is the "next generation" and good enough to play against Munster why is he on the bench (a secret weapon..?)
# if Cockerill reckons Cole is fit, why is he on the bench and not starting - why leave your best front row'er warming his backside on it...
# is Owen W at 10 and not at centre, that move seems to disrupt the continuity at centre...
# is Pieterson not playing, is he injuried again....

Is it to confuse the opposition..... does Cockerill know what his best team is...... :smt017
How many other clubs carry the level of injuries that Tigers do, and why do we...? Is it due to the long held macho training ground mentality... "we do it full on, that's the Tigers way" in which case isn't it time that common sense took hold...?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Worth was only at Full back against Munster due to the lack of resource in the backs. Burns was absent through a knock.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Perhaps it is a bit of rotation hasn't worth played for 80 mins the last 4 weeks?

Which is a huge amount of game time really and could do with a rest IMO.

Saracens at home is a huge game, hence why the Youngs have been rested aswell.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

BirstallBrian wrote:Am confused....... a frequent occurence but one that I mostly live with, but enough of that.
Given that consistency of team selection - ie players growing familiar with who's playing next to them and playing with confidence because of that - why..... :smt017

#is Burns at full back, not at 10, is it for his tackling ability....
# if Worth is the "next generation" and good enough to play against Munster why is he on the bench (a secret weapon..?)
# if Cockerill reckons Cole is fit, why is he on the bench and not starting - why leave your best front row'er warming his backside on it...
# is Owen W at 10 and not at centre, that move seems to disrupt the continuity at centre...
# is Pieterson not playing, is he injuried again....

Is it to confuse the opposition..... does Cockerill know what his best team is...... :smt017
How many other clubs carry the level of injuries that Tigers do, and why do we...? Is it due to the long held macho training ground mentality... "we do it full on, that's the Tigers way" in which case isn't it time that common sense took hold...?
Most of the injuries have happened in matches, so it cannot be associated to the training.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I like the idea of playing Burns at Fullback for 3 reasons:

1) He knows how to catch and compete for the high ball.
2) His tackling has improved this season beyond recognition.
3) He possesses a fine Rugby brain and his kicking from hand has been superb this season.

Who knows he may be our answer in our search for a permanent full back thus
releasing Veianu when he is fit to play on the wing where he may be more effective
and that in turn releases Peter Betham to return to a centre position where he is
most effective.

This may be my last post before Christmas so a happy festive season to you all.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote:Perhaps it is a bit of rotation hasn't worth played for 80 mins the last 4 weeks?

Which is a huge amount of game time really and could do with a rest IMO.

Saracens at home is a huge game, hence why the Youngs have been rested aswell.
I think you've called it exactly right. Worth has done nothing wrong and considering he's just played the biggest local derby and then Munster home and away he's due a rest. He missed the last 5 at Thomond Park with the sin binning and played all but the last 3 against them at WR. Keep him fresh (hopefully) for Sarries and Wasps as his (just) 20 year old body won't be used to this intensity and the recovery demands placed on it playing weekly at the top level.

Freddie's played at 15 before and offers a decent kicking option; we'll need to keep the Chiefs pinned in their own half.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Personally, I would go with FB's attacking bias at 10, with OW at fullback, with his siege gun boots. Bearing in mind, I don't know if he has played at fullback before!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Bowden Tiger wrote:Personally, I would go with FB's attacking bias at 10, with OW at fullback, with his siege gun boots. Bearing in mind, I don't know if he has played at fullback before!
Expect that Owen has never played 15 and hasn't really got the speed for it.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Bowden Tiger wrote:Personally, I would go with FB's attacking bias at 10, with OW at fullback, with his siege gun boots. Bearing in mind, I don't know if he has played at fullback before!
Not sure if OW has played 15 in front line rugby. Burns first appearances for Glaws were at fullback, so he's probably a bit more experienced in the role.