Tackling players in the air

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Tackling players in the air

Post by BFG »

In the current state North did nothing wrong at all, he use's what he has with great effectiveness and is almost unplayable at it.
It is how the game has evolved through the change in key player attributes and interestingly many of those moaning about it now are exactly the people who have moaned they want a faster game or even themselves helped evolve the elite player down the years moving away from the traditional rugby player towards athletes to try and gain an advantage of the current rules.
The Welsh and Irish do it effectively because they generally play at a faster pace with less structure IMO.
Compare Saracens who perform the kick and chase for a different outcome which is structure based, allowing the defender to receive to pin opposition down territorially.
Personally I'd like to see the competition in the air completely taken out of the game, it'd be great fun and create more excitement watching players with at least one foot on the ground competing for the high ball.
Yes it would advantage the taller player but how many 2m tall back three players do you actually see anyway that are mobile enough for the positions other requirements.
LessThanSte
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by LessThanSte »

Just been watching the wasps match and Halai made a shocking attempt, and hurt himself.

It does make me wonder whether there might be some sense in penalties against those who get their head in the wrong place. Halfpenny does it a lot too, and it probably causes more injuries than any high tackles. It may not be easy in the current game but if you could penalise inept tackling maybe there would be less of it?
#48 FTW :)
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Another one in the Worcs Bristol game. I Don't think Pisi did a lot wrong, but because he didn't jump, off he went
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

After kicks, I have watched far more balls being allowed to bounce recently. Is this because players don't want to get caught out? In the Bris match, Varndell sidestepped an approaching catcher, but "kept a hand in".

Is this the future of the game under the new rules?
Valhalla I am coming!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

fleabane wrote:After kicks, I have watched far more balls being allowed to bounce recently. Is this because players don't want to get caught out? In the Bris match, Varndell sidestepped an approaching catcher, but "kept a hand in".

I think you'll get a lot more 'chasers' timing their run to 'hit' the catcher as he lands - rather than competing for the high ball itself. A positive way of playing the man, not the ball!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

strawclearer wrote:
fleabane wrote:After kicks, I have watched far more balls being allowed to bounce recently. Is this because players don't want to get caught out? In the Bris match, Varndell sidestepped an approaching catcher, but "kept a hand in".

I think you'll get a lot more 'chasers' timing their run to 'hit' the catcher as he lands - rather than competing for the high ball itself. A positive way of playing the man, not the ball!
That's not what is happening though. Chasers are jumping into stationary catchers, and gaining penalties, reds and yellows. Not a positive way of playing the man
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

It is starting to happen, and as northerntiger and the TV commentators have said, the more useful approach is to make a well timed tackle and turnover the ball. The teams that continue to compete in the air will continue playing with 14 men. Coaches have to change the teams approach to making contact.
Last edited by fleabane on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valhalla I am coming!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

This Law is ridiculous, today Pisi was right under where the ball was going to land, he had his eye on the ball, hands out ready to catch it when an idiot comes running in, jumps high in the air and lands on Pisi's back, topples over Pisi who then gets red carded. What was Pisi supposed to do, run out of the way? Crazy Law!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

LE18 wrote:This Law is ridiculous, today Pisi was right under where the ball was going to land, he had his eye on the ball, hands out ready to catch it when an idiot comes running in, jumps high in the air and lands on Pisi's back, topples over Pisi who then gets red carded. What was Pisi supposed to do, run out of the way? Crazy Law!
This :smt023 :smt023
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

fentiger wrote:
LE18 wrote:This Law is ridiculous, today Pisi was right under where the ball was going to land, he had his eye on the ball, hands out ready to catch it when an idiot comes running in, jumps high in the air and lands on Pisi's back, topples over Pisi who then gets red carded. What was Pisi supposed to do, run out of the way? Crazy Law!
This :smt023 :smt023
:smt023 Spot on.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

When I played the game .. Well certainly when I started in 1971 and for as long as I remember after that jumping a tackle was illegal and penalised as dangerous play. It was considered an American football import and very frowned upon.when did it change? As with a lot of laws they seemed to just change without being announced, like hands in the ruck. In other words refrees stopped officiating correctly until the nature of the game changed for he worse.