Player Exchange

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Player Exchange

Post by iceman_19 »

I was going to post this into the 'Championship Buddy' post, but it seemed a bit off topic, so I thought it merited a new one.

Does anybody know why we - or any other Premiership Club (to my knowledge), for that matter - do not have an agreement with an equivalent Super Rugby franchise to exchange promising young players to one another to aid their development?

I say this because it seems that we have some good links with certain Southern Hemisphere clubs, in particular the Crusaders, where we have benefited from players like Mauger, Gibson, Hamilton, Waldrom and Thorne to name but a few. I'm surprised that the clubs, both of whom are similarly successful (historically, at least) once a year with a list of their promising prospects (aged c.20-22) who they feel could do with experiencing rugby in a different environment, and trading them for a season.

I could see young fly-halves or centres picking up a huge amount of invaluable experience and training for their skillset if they were to spend a year learning the ropes in a Super Rugby or even ITM Cup environment (if the franchise were able to 'sub-lease' the players out to clubs), whilst you'd think a lot of Kiwi sides would be more than happy to have forwards come to Leicester to work on the dark arts. Admittedly, whilst I'm writing this, it seems as if we would get the better end of the deal, but I'm sure there'd be benefits for both clubs.

The other point is that a lot of these young players coming through the professional environment and playing rugby never get to have a 'Gap Year' whilst their young, and if their rugby ability lets them try their hand in a new country for a year, then that's a bonus.

Haskell's game came on a huge amount from his season in Super Rugby and, of course, it didn't do Johnno any harm either!

Thoughts?
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: Player Exchange

Post by Iain »

The Super Rugby season runs from around January to May. That's the first issue.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

There is a bit of a risk sending some of your brightest talent to a beautiful warm country to play rugby on firm surfaces in the sunshine. They might not want to come back to Leicester.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Jamie Hamilton, a young scrum half from many moons ago, also benefitted by going and they rated him very highly.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Iain wrote:The Super Rugby season runs from around January to May. That's the first issue.
I don't see how that is an issue necessarily. If both parties meet up and agree an exchange in principal (in, say, July) then the players don't have to be away at exactly the same time.

I can see the worry about letting good talent go to the Southern Hemisphere and they may decide they prefer it there! I'm sure any risk of that (or compensation should it occur) could be covered off in any agreement between the clubs.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Nathan Earle (Saracens winger scored against Sale last weekend) has recently returned from a loan at Canterbury.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity