The Tigers business model

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The Tigers business model

Post by wormus »

mol2 wrote:Building 2 stands in quick succession and buying the car park are bound to impact on cash flow.

Would the latest stand have been built had the opportunity to buy the car park come up earlier?
I guess not to avoid the cash flow problems that are bound to occur.
Perhaps any cash flow problems are the reason Tigers are recruiting Marketing Manager, Marketing Executive, PR & Business Marketing Officer. see http://www.leicestertigers.com/club/vacancies.php
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

I for one fully support the business model of the club, we are still a team to beat and as the cash starts to flow from the car park and hotel it will set the club up to once again compete on the big stages, Where Wasps, Sarries and bath will be then who knows.
I despair of the posters on here who cannot accept that we are not on a level playing field and have made a conscious decisions to forgo guaranteed silverware for long term success.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... SApp_Other

I have copied this across from the DoR thread because it identifies the larger issue of Tigers business model too, and this thread has never properly got going!

This is about the future of the whole club. Ben Kay has said that making the top four in the Premiership is not enough for the board, but can it do it with the existing business model?

Discuss. :smt001
Valhalla I am coming!
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

For the my first thread I had ever started I thought it had not gone too badly :smt022

A bit overtaken by events. I will look at the piece and comment further.

Thanks for giving this another push. Performance is important but the soul of the club is too. Can we have both?

Offside
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I want to see Tigers consistently win things but I also want us to exist for years to come so that my great, great, great, great, great etc grandchildren can support this fantastic club. If it means that trophies become rare for the club to exist, then I am happy with that and will choose this option over success over the next 10 years but have no club in 15, 20 or 50 years.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

No trophies is alien to the clubs DNA.

No expectation of trophies means players are not attracted to sign for the club, and aspirational players leave. The result is mediocrity. You and you descendant will be the only people standing on the crumbling terrace, looking across to an empty, rusting and decaying stand.

Most of us want our club to be successful and win.
Valhalla I am coming!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Most of us want our club to be successful and win.
Isn't that what I just said?! I want to see us winning trophies but if the only way to do it is to have a sugar daddy who could leave us in millions of pounds in debt when he gets bored, then I would sacrifice the trophies for the club to stay in existence. To be honest, I'm dumbfounded anyone would be happy for the club to be in massive debt and potentially no longer exist.

Before anyone says it probably wouldn't happen, just look at Bradford Bulls. They were the dominant team only 10-15 years ago, now they no longer exist.

It sounds to me like you're saying if the trophies stop, then you'll stop supporting them. That to me, is not being a supporter!
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

Tom Tom wrote:
MikeR wrote:I suspect that their is a fair chance that one or more of the names you mention may well inject further capital into the Club - I believe go ahead to issue more shares was given at the last AGM .I would be slightly more worried at the attendance figures at matches - 24,000 at the Munster game , perhaps 5 or 6,000 were Munster fans .If we can only get 18,000 of our own to watch a big game like that then this is not a good sign .We need to get a winning team pretty soon before a real decline sets in .
What I was meaning is that the development should be in a completely separate company away from Tigers.
That way it will succeed or fail on its own merits.
If it fails (which would be a surprise if Peter Tom, David Abell, Tom Scott. & Co invest) then it will be sold to the highest bidder by the Receiver and it will be at its true commercial worth.
If Tigers have the money then they could even buy it at less than it cost to set up initially - it happens!
Tigers should concentrate on its core business which is Rugby and delivering the country's best match day experience for ST holders and all who visit Welford Road.
Earn incremental income where ever you can.....and start by sorting out once and for all the catering and service at the bars.
Like the catering / bar company tigers use :smt030 :smt030
BIttySmalls

Post by BIttySmalls »

Underhill, Rapava-Ruskin, Fearns, etc, etc.

Are these all examples of our current lack of pull and inability to complete in the transfer market?

Maybe Rapava-Ruskin wasn't essential but the others????
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Couple of ways to attract top talent. a) Create a winning team and infrastructure within which players can develop and vie for international honours (Old Tigers) b) throw shed loads of money at them.
b alone is not likely to be successful so a is a mandatory requirement
I'm not cynical just experienced
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

BIttySmalls wrote:Underhill, Rapava-Ruskin, Fearns, etc, etc.

Are these all examples of our current lack of pull and inability to complete in the transfer market?

Underhill looks class, but I'm equally as excited by Evans.
Our inability to sign an 8 though is of most concern.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

doublecarpet wrote:
BIttySmalls wrote:Underhill, Rapava-Ruskin, Fearns, etc, etc.

Underhill looks class, but I'm equally as excited by Evans.
Our inability to sign an 8 though is of most concern.
don't forget super/mad/whatever Monday is coming.... :smt030 we could be pleasantly suprised
cheers
Rich
BIttySmalls

Post by BIttySmalls »

chewbacca wrote:Couple of ways to attract top talent. a) Create a winning team and infrastructure within which players can develop and vie for international honours (Old Tigers) b) throw shed loads of money at them.
But in today's market don't you need a bit of (b) to be able to achieve (a) ??
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

I think one thing that is missing is the fact that we spend up to the cap and have 2 marquee players on as big a pay cheque as anybody elsewhere.
That is regardless of pitches, hotels or any other development.... these are funded separately and do not take away from the playing budget.

The sugar daddy clubs do so too - the criticism is not that they spend more than us, its the fact that they can do so without worrying about the lack of revenue to balance the books. Where they have the advantage is that should they face issues like we are facing with injuries, they can afford big money injury dispensation replacements whereas we would struggle to fund that. But Bath are a good example where its not as simple as that - they had no fit back row for the 1st few matches of the season but did not dip into the pot to replace.

The fair challenge in my opinion is the quality of recruitment, particularly back row, but you cant question the status of Toomua and JP even if they have been unlucky to spend more time on the treatment table than the pitch.
Less is more....
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

BIttySmalls wrote:
chewbacca wrote:Couple of ways to attract top talent. a) Create a winning team and infrastructure within which players can develop and vie for international honours (Old Tigers) b) throw shed loads of money at them.
But in today's market don't you need a bit of (b) to be able to achieve (a) ??
Absolutely. I think I put the case poorly. The infrastructure needs to be established similar to (cringe) Saracens in scouting and encouraging talent from the grass roots.
I'm not cynical just experienced