Again - is it now time to thank Simon Cohen?!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Again - is it now time to thank Simon Cohen?!

Post by Noddy555 »

Well it depends on how you view the role of Chief executive. Should the Operational and financial Chief be involved in negotiating players contracts and the level of their salaries if the answer is in the positive then I'm afraid Simon's performance has not been very good in this area, however his sales and marketing skills are beyond reproach hence the queue of actual and potential sponsors. Perhaps what's needed is a person at board level who has had hard nosed experience of this in a sports business as some of our so called star players seem to be able to dictate what they want and the club just rolls over or that is how it appears to some of us.
Last edited by Noddy555 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

What I don't understand is the vitriol directed towards SC. to me he has always come across as a good honest bloke that works tirelessly for our club. Does he make mistakes? Of course, who doesn't make mistakes at work? He is the man that is charged with making decisions and you can't please all of the people all the time. I can see logic with his decisions and even the ones he has got wrong appear to have been made for the right reasons
I think his sales and marketing skills are actually employing Great people on the commercial side so he can clearly 'Manage' I back him to do the same on the playing side and get us a head coach/DOR that can take us forward and right to the very top.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Granted Tigers reunited but any business whether sports orientated or not has to perform to the best of it's ability regarding the bottom line i.e. profit and loss
but in saying that we have to keep an eye on the direction that the business is going and if on field performances could lead to a loss of revenue, not only from the withdrawal of sponsorship but also impacting on the brand name of a club and its reputation. So there are pluses and minuses on the balance sheet and the final responsibility and accountability lies with share holders, If Holland & Barratt and our two directors who live in the channel islands suddenly decide that we are more trouble than worth, things could get decidedly dodgy.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Of course and it's 4 calendar years since we won anything so something needed to change and I don't personally believe making the decision to change deserves the vitriol.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

What does it deserve then a pat on the back and never mind things will improve next season and maybe our injury list won;t be as bad? It strikes me that this has been said every season since 2013/2014. No the time has come in this close season to stop tinkering and go in for a major overhaul. You could draw parallels with a car that needs constant repair but the time soon comes when you have to trade it in for a new model.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Yes from me - the club has clear problems many of which fall at the CEO's door. I fact I wold far rather SC had gone instead of Cockers. I would have liked to see a new CEO come in and access the situation then decide whether Cockers should go or not.

As it is I feel Cockers was actually doing a lot to keep a sinking ship afloat. I fear we now have an unhappy squad with those players close to Cockers resenting his departure and perhaps those players /coaches that they believe caused it to happen. Certainly the body language of the players has not been good.

We should not be complacent about us currently having more supporters than Wasps - if we continue to decline and they rise that will change. At the last Wasps game I sat in front of a row of ex-Tigers supporters who are now Wasps supporters. They were real rugby guys from Cov. and Nuneaton area having played themselves to a good level.

We need a new broom at the top who can provide vision, leadership and inspire the club as well as making whatever staff changes are needed to make that happen. Until then I fear things will not improve.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I don't know enough about Cohen's work to judge. And neither do any of you.

Just another example of people thinking that fixing the malaise we are in is down to being able to pin it on one fall guy. Cockers left and it appears that didn't offer a magic wand solution either. Now we are trying to pin it on the guy whose role it is to make us profitable for making us profitable.