Richard Cockerill

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

castrofan
Tiger Cub
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:01 am

Re: Richard Cockerill

Post by castrofan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:13 pm

tigercaspian wrote:Whilst I am happy for all to voice their opinions, I am fed up with this :censored: now.

The Board will decide. Let's just leave off a great Tiger for a bit.

Completely agree...

LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2650
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Re: Richard Cockerill

Post by LE18 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:01 pm

Going way back, Tony Russ was brought in to teach us to play flat ball rugby!

Old Hob
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill

Post by Old Hob » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:14 pm

All the other choices (Lancaster etc) seem a lot worse.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3859
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: Richard Cockerill

Post by strawclearer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:30 pm

tigercaspian wrote:Whilst I am happy for all to voice their opinions, I am fed up with this :censored: now.

The Board will decide. Let's just leave off a great Tiger for a bit.
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Stay Home>Protect The NHS>Save Lives

L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1755
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 6:22 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill

Post by L Smith » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:36 pm

strawclearer wrote:
tigercaspian wrote:Whilst I am happy for all to voice their opinions, I am fed up with this :censored: now.

The Board will decide. Let's just leave off a great Tiger for a bit.
:smt023
:smt023
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man

Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:15 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill

Post by Tyzot » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:42 pm

I wish!

Really fed up with some attitudes on the forum at the moment. Seems like every post seems to get twisted to the same end

Noddy555
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill

Post by Noddy555 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:18 pm

Listening to Cockers on Radio Five Live one would think that their is nothing wrong with the club and that all our troubles are due to injuries. Dear,Dear Richard lad get your head out of the sand and look around you and make something happen. Otherwise you will be joining Jim Mallender in the dole queue soon.

WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5064
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:23 am
Location: Roaming

Re: Richard Cockerill

Post by WhitecapTiger » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:18 am

Noddy555 wrote:Listening to Cockers on Radio Five Live one would think that their is nothing wrong with the club and that all our troubles are due to injuries. Dear,Dear Richard lad get your head out of the sand and look around you and make something happen. Otherwise you will be joining Jim Mallender in the dole queue soon.
Do you have a link to that interview on 5 Live please? Maybe it's a podcast? I'd like to listen to it as I don't think I've ever heard Cockers blame injuries solely......I've looked but can't find one on the 5 live site.

I heard him speaking after the game on the way home on Radio Leicester (briefly in between all the LCFC coverage) and have listened to the podcast on RL, in which Cockers is interviewed about the Munster match and then asked separately (on the podcast) about the 'issues' stated in the press (Daily Mail).

He was honest and upfront, passionate, maybe a little defensive (aggresively defensive) in his responses, particularly about the flak the club (not himself) had received, but he was certainly not saying all was rosy, he mentioned players out injured but that is a FACT, we have a number of players out injured and it does have a bearing. He talked about the coaching relationships and how they are 'robust' - differing opinions.

I'd far rather have that kind of bloke and response than the dithering, weak minded denials that come out of some DoRs - Mallinder for example. But then each bloke has their own way of speaking to the media (contractual obligations no doubt) without actually discussing anything happening at their own clubs - would you discuss your employment issues with someone sticking a microphone in your face?

The link to the interviews I've listened to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04lrxkk Cockers is on around 7m30s - 16m40s.

I got the impression from that, whether it be genuine or not, that Cockers cares more about the club than he does his own neck and his position. Sounded like a bloke who was fed up of all the 'speculation' being spewed out by others, probably those in unqualified positions, or of untested stock.

As he says "I'm in here for the battle until someone tells me I'm not here for the battle"

If the 5 Live version is vastly different I'd be pleased to hear it.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.

tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill

Post by tigercaspian » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:18 am

That's pretty much what he said on TV as well. No issues ducked, no excuses raised, head well clear of the sand.............

fillfinger
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:26 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill

Post by fillfinger » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:03 am

Dean Richards sacking was as much about a dispute with the club over his role rather than just results.
I feel RC has a generally good relationship with the board and I do not believe the "one game" deadline story from the Daily Mail.
Personally I hope he stays the bloke is honest, hardworking, and recognises his coaching limitations hence AMs appointment.
Get back just some of the missing players and we have a chance of another good season. BTW thought it was a great game for the purists on Saturday - fantastic atmosphere - even allowing for the only Irish plonker in the crowd being sat in front of me. If people don't want to hear a one eyed commentary don't sit with the home fans!

Iain
Super User
Super User
Posts: 8161
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:39 pm
Location: Market Harborough

Re: Richard Cockerill

Post by Iain » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:43 am

Big Dai wrote:JW took over from Deano untill the end of that season. so was head coach all be it for a short period.
Correction: Wells saw out the 03/04 season and was then named Head Coach with Pat Howard as backs coach and Cockers as forwards coach rejoining the club from Montferrand (now Clermont). Wells stayed in charge for the 04/05 season, in which we topped the league but lost to Wasps in the final. Howard then took over as Head Coach for the 05/06 season, and also stayed in charge for the 06/07 season.

Cockerill was then acting head coach for the start of the 07/08 season until Loffreda arrived, who was then dismissed at the end of the season. Meyer took the job for the 08/09 season until he had to leave early, and Cockerill finished the season as acting head coach. He proved himself very able and was given the job permanently. The rest, as they say, is history.

tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill

Post by tigercaspian » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:30 pm

WhitecapTiger wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:Listening to Cockers on Radio Five Live one would think that their is nothing wrong with the club and that all our troubles are due to injuries. Dear,Dear Richard lad get your head out of the sand and look around you and make something happen. Otherwise you will be joining Jim Mallender in the dole queue soon.
Do you have a link to that interview on 5 Live please? Maybe it's a podcast? I'd like to listen to it as I don't think I've ever heard Cockers blame injuries solely......I've looked but can't find one on the 5 live site.

I heard him speaking after the game on the way home on Radio Leicester (briefly in between all the LCFC coverage) and have listened to the podcast on RL, in which Cockers is interviewed about the Munster match and then asked separately (on the podcast) about the 'issues' stated in the press (Daily Mail).

He was honest and upfront, passionate, maybe a little defensive (aggresively defensive) in his responses, particularly about the flak the club (not himself) had received, but he was certainly not saying all was rosy, he mentioned players out injured but that is a FACT, we have a number of players out injured and it does have a bearing. He talked about the coaching relationships and how they are 'robust' - differing opinions.

I'd far rather have that kind of bloke and response than the dithering, weak minded denials that come out of some DoRs - Mallinder for example. But then each bloke has their own way of speaking to the media (contractual obligations no doubt) without actually discussing anything happening at their own clubs - would you discuss your employment issues with someone sticking a microphone in your face?

The link to the interviews I've listened to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04lrxkk Cockers is on around 7m30s - 16m40s.

I got the impression from that, whether it be genuine or not, that Cockers cares more about the club than he does his own neck and his position. Sounded like a bloke who was fed up of all the 'speculation' being spewed out by others, probably those in unqualified positions, or of untested stock.

As he says "I'm in here for the battle until someone tells me I'm not here for the battle"

If the 5 Live version is vastly different I'd be pleased to hear it.
From today's printed media:-

"Cockerill accepted criticism of the way his side played at Thomond Park, but raged at what he felt were cheap shots at the "fabric" of the club.

'We deserve to be treated with respect even when it is s*** because we have a different model of how we run the club and we are proud of that. Sometimes you lose. It has been an opportunity for some people to have a real crack at the club from top to bottom, and it is not right.
We are a very good club. We pay our own bills. We own our own stadium. I feel passionately about that.
It hurts when people are waiting to poke holes in it. There may be some ups and downs on the way but we will still be here in 100 years time. We wait to see whether some other clubs will be.'

The language had been similarly coarse and direct through the week at Leicester's Oadby training centre. Cockerill called the squad together last Monday and asked them to write down one word to describe the 38-0 drubbing.

Ellis Genge wrote "embarrasing". Tom Youngs and Owen Williamswere more to the point with 's***'. It was a meeting of blunt honesty that laid the foundations for Saturday's performance.........."

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:45 am

Re: Richard Cockerill

Post by JackFlashJonny » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:08 pm

I am not surprised Genge cannot spell embarrassing but I hope the media could..unless you wrote this Tigercaspian instead of a copy and paste job and in that case I will let you off due to the thorough report :smt023

Interesting sentiment from Cockerill..it very much seems to me you cannot compete at the top end with our model as it stands for the past few years and this one..people may say we make top four and semi finals and classify that as competing but we have never looked like beating Saracens for years now..the only teams that have looked close are on a similar model

Do I want their models..no..but I still find it hard to take that we cannot compete when we have the largest fanbase and stadium in the country..I long for something akin to a realistic financial fair play to stop rich men throwing money at rugby to win titles..

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 948
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill

Post by chewbacca » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:13 pm

Do I expect us to win every game? Of course I do. Is that realistic given our financial model. Almost certainly not. All I expect is that we make the best use of the resources at our disposal and to play like Tigers. I want my grandchildren to be watching Tigers in the future. If that means we don't quite reach the very pinnacle of achievement then so be it as long as we play with heart and determination I am content.
I'm not cynical just experienced

TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:16 pm
Location: London

Re: Richard Cockerill

Post by TomWeston » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:44 pm

JackFlashJonny wrote:I am not surprised Genge cannot spell embarrassing ...
I don't care if he can't spell or count beyond 10 because his sausage fingers can't undo his boot laces..as long as he plays like he did on Saturday.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests