Is it now time to thank Cockers?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Is it now time to thank Cockers?

Post by jgriffin »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote:Some very good points and opinions being put forward. As I said in my previous post time should be taken to carry out a proper review and put all the pieces of the jigsaw together in a planned and thought out way. The danger is we could easily finish up appointing a new team that have different views and can't get along together. A recipe for continuing under performance.

Interesting points about money and salary cap, doesn't seem long ago that every other club were pointing fingers at Tigers who must be breaching the rules to be that successful. I seem to remember we laughed it off as excuses for others not being able to compete with the top club in Europe.

I don't want to see this as an excuse or an acceptance for not being able to compete with Saracens, Waps or Bath. We are a big enough club to compete with anybody.
We have the people to commission a review, possibly even happening behind the arras. I agree 100% with your point about the pieces of the jigsaw, this is what almost all the posters don't get.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote:
Grumpy of Crumbie wrote:Some very good points and opinions being put forward. As I said in my previous post time should be taken to carry out a proper review and put all the pieces of the jigsaw together in a planned and thought out way. The danger is we could easily finish up appointing a new team that have different views and can't get along together. A recipe for continuing under performance.

Interesting points about money and salary cap, doesn't seem long ago that every other club were pointing fingers at Tigers who must be breaching the rules to be that successful. I seem to remember we laughed it off as excuses for others not being able to compete with the top club in Europe.

I don't want to see this as an excuse or an acceptance for not being able to compete with Saracens, Waps or Bath. We are a big enough club to compete with anybody.
We have the people to commission a review, possibly even happening behind the arras. I agree 100% with your point about the pieces of the jigsaw, this is what almost all the posters don't get.
I don't believe there is as much wrong as being talked about.
They can play and they have done so, but often in reaction.
Preparation for a home match is different, the pressure of the crowd is expected, the level of intensity is higher from the off.
The amount of times they have been caught out in the first half of matches has a pattern to it, and it's not just top sides (see against Gloucester) so it's not just simply always being outclassed, but obviously it's harder to come back against a better side.
See my previous post for a possible cause.
IMO the squad could do with expanding with three or four high quality forwards and the backs are just fine when all fit, separate training from those not of the standard, raise the bar and things could be very different.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

From Cockerill on Sky Sports

"The reality is that if we lose two or three games, I'm assured that the reaction on social media indicates I'm not overly popular at times. That's life.

"But I think rugby as a whole has quite a measured view to it.

"Harlequins haven't been in Europe for a while, but nobody's asked for anyone's head on a plate.

"We've never not qualified, can you imagine not qualifying for Europe?

"They want me sacked if we lose a game in Europe. That's just the nature of it."
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

We are not Quins! Our expectations are higher. If that is all Cockers has to say, it's time to go.
Valhalla I am coming!
TigerintheCatStand
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TigerintheCatStand »

Dear Richard

I would settle for not making the **same** mistakes each week. The results I can live with.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Tigerbeat wrote:From Cockerill on Sky Sports

"The reality is that if we lose two or three games, I'm assured that the reaction on social media indicates I'm not overly popular at times. That's life.

"Harlequins haven't been in Europe for a while, but nobody's asked for anyone's head on a plate.

"They want me sacked if we lose a game in Europe. That's just the nature of it."
Pretty much sums him up, clueless!!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Clueless? Not really! He is right. We lose a game and social media and on this forum, all hell breaks loose and it's all Cockerill's fault.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

And?
Valhalla I am coming!
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Is that the whiff of increasing desperation?
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I don't think Cockers will be sacked if his team loses to Saracens and Wasps but if we don't get a bonus point win in Paris I think that the knives will be drawn swiftly and he will get the chop because losing in Paris will end our European adventure and losses in the next two Aviva games will seriously damage our chances of finishing in the top four. It strikes me that this board of directors will not be satisfied with an Anglo/Welsh trophy success and just a place in Europe for next season by finishing in the top six.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

And here's the full report in the Torygraph too :smt030
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... -approach/
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

baz1664 wrote:

Pretty much sums him up, clueless!!
Just for clarification, can you point out and explain the clueless bits in the statement? Thank you.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

For me they are desperation comments and to try and put Quins under achievements in line with the Tigers is comedy, Also Quins are in the lower tier of a European completion. As for him questioning social media and losing 2 or 3 games, he needs to think back to the last 4 seasons and the decline in performances/results and success. This questioning of his position isn't just a recent thing and has been going on for a number of years due to what the fans are seeing on the pitch. I am sure he would love to be playing Bristol or Worcester this weekend to grab a convincing win and release the pressure ever so slightly again, but no he is up against the 2 best sides in the league in the next two weeks, change can't come quick enough.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

"Harlequins haven't been in Europe for a while, but nobody's asked for anyone's head on a plate."
Yeah, it's amazing that O'Shea has managed to keep his job!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

4071 wrote:

"Harlequins haven't been in Europe for a while, but nobody's asked for anyone's head on a plate."
Yeah, it's amazing that O'Shea has managed to keep his job!
To be fair he did keep his job, Quins didn't want him gone, and they promoted from within.

But then again he shouldn't be comparing us to Quins.