Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Is it now time to thank Cockers?

Post by RagingBull »

tigercaspian wrote:
RagingBull wrote:
ellis9 wrote:Wow that does look good does it?!

Hopefully, the story is over-exaggerated. If Cockerill is sacked, I can see them giving the job to Mauger which I'm very unsure about.

Come on Tigers, let's give one hell of a performance on Saturday to keep Cockerill in a job!
I can see us looking to bring in Meyer TBH.
If Cockers is to be moved on ( and I would not agree if he is), agree that Meyer is the obvious choice as (a) he is available and (b) he has unfinished business with Tigers.
Hopefully he can bring in a couple of SA forwards and Kriel........
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I will say it now sacking Cockers is a mistake of gargantuan proportions! He is to Tigers what the pope is to Christianity, in RC I firmly believe. The players are charged with turning up and performing and if they do not then they must take their share of responsibility and face punitious action where necessary. As for the alleged fall out between Mauger and Cockers it takes two to Tango and I would keep the latter over the former any day when push is now apparently approaching shove. I desperately hope we can get back to winning ways and harmony is restored because I for one will be devastated if the Tigers rock that Cockers truly is, becomes the sacrificial lamb. Amen :smt027
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Financially, Tigers may be tied with the salary cap. Players have come up through the ranks eg. Cole, Youngs, Croft etc and gained internatonal recognition and a salary increase to retain them at the club. This has then reduced the amount of money available for the following season.
Perhaps, Tigers just need to be ruthless and get rid of all the highly paid players to make room to bring in more quality players on a lower salary.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Whilst I for one think Cockers has taken us as far as he can..he looks a defeated man when you hear him in interviews nowadays lacking the fire that once burned imo..but as others have posted I fear it is the Leicester ethos and culture which sadly does not work in todays Money game..

More importantly what would ellis9 do? I am not sure the poor Brummie could take such a blow before Christmas and all :smt009 ..what would he post about without his Cockergod? What would he do....

116 123 is the number you can call ellis9 should your world come crumbling down :smt023
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think Tigers could save plenty of cap if they just bring in more academy players as squad depth instead of More expensive senior players
Like:
Yawayawa for Brady
White for Kitto
Thacker for Smith
Worth for Tait
Spare cap from that could go towards getting a top Ultilty back.

Forwards personally needs to be ruthless with
Croft
O'Connor
The props (other than Genge and Cole)
And the cap we should have left from the 8's released.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

What Saracens have realised and Tigers used to have is consistency and continuity particularly in personnel. How many players have been in and out of the revolving door at WR in the last couple of seasons; South Africans and NZ'ds on short contracts to "fix things". Players who can only simulate passion for "the badge", who swear to beat Saints as the biggest rivalry in the league but couldn't have found Leicester or Northampton on a map two years ago? All time wasted.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

ellis9 wrote:Wow that does look good does it?!

Hopefully, the story is over-exaggerated. If Cockerill is sacked, I can see them giving the job to Mauger which I'm very unsure about.

Come on Tigers, let's give one hell of a performance on Saturday to keep Cockerill in a job!
Word on the Park is that Castro and Julian Salvi will be giving the team a pre match talk on Saturday. :smt002
johns
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by johns »

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Repeat of the online article quoted above; and I too, think the "source" is this forum.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Old Hob wrote:Repeat of the online article quoted above; and I too, think the "source" is this forum.

I cannot believe you think anyone from the media would read this forum and use it as a source :smt005 :smt030 :smt030
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Awful rag, but the DM frequently beats others to the rugby news.
Valhalla I am coming!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

fleabane wrote:Awful rag, but the DM frequently beats others to the rugby news.
Agreed, whilst I would regard any "news" in the Mail with scepticism, their inside sources within rugby have been very accurate.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Other than Fissler - who simply comments on the rumour - the rest of the rugby press doesn't seem to have latched on to this. It's usual practice for companies / clubs etc not to comment on or deny / support such rumours or they end up encouraging constant speculation which they're then obliged to respond to.

So - just have to wait and see!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Southerntiger

Post by Southerntiger »

Old Hob wrote:Repeat of the online article quoted above; and I too, think the "source" is this forum.
Unlikely as people here haven't mentioned Simon Cohen telling Cockers Saturday is last chance saloon

I think scraping a 2 point win on Saturday is irrelevant anyway.

Simple question is, are Leicester closer or further away from winning the title than they were in May 2014 when they lost in semi to Saints?

My opinion is that we have gradually got further and further away. Time for a change, Heyneke Meyer it's time to step in... :smt035

I think when questioned YBY and the backs will heavily push for Mauger rather than Cockers, I would love to know what B O'C thinks of him
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

sapajo wrote:I will say it now sacking Cockers is a mistake of gargantuan proportions! He is to Tigers what the pope is to Christianity,
Isn't the Pope a divisive figure, alienating to many of the world's Christians and a symbol of the sectarianism and division that exists within the religion?

Oh, I see.

Good metaphor.

Anyway, it might be worth noting that the post of 'Pope' has been held by many men, and no individual Pope is greater than the Church itself.

There's clearly something about Cockerill that inspires loyalty and faith - I think much of his success has been built on that, and it's apparent in many of his devoted fans on this forum. His fans equate love of Cockerill with love of the club. To them, he IS the club. To question Cockerill is to question Tigers. To turn against him (or Him) is to turn against the club.

His critics, on the other hand, are first and foremost Tigers fans. They are capable of separating the man and the club. They want what is best for Tigers, even if that means replacing Cockerill.

In many ways, perhaps, the initial metaphor was not so wrong. Whichever side we take on the interminable Cockerill debate, we are all Tigers fans. We all worship the same God, so to speak. There are some of us who are Catholic, however, regarding the Popish Cockerill as being the earthly representative of that one God; infallible and beyond criticism - an attack on Cockerill being an attack on the Tiger God. Others are more Protestant, regarding the devotion to the Cocker-Pope as somewhat heretical, and seeing it as distracting from the worship of the TigerGod.

I wonder if the new stadium can be considered a vast and expensive symbol of the power of the Church. Something like St Peter's Basilica.