Is it now time to thank Cockers?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Is it now time to thank Cockers?

Post by Doghashadhisday »

The title of the thread says is it now time to thank Cockers?

So here goes - thank you Richard Cockerill - 3 premiership titles, 2 semifinals last year. Thank you for making it exciting watching the Tigers, never knowing which Tigers will turn up makes the ticker go like mad until the end of the game.

Long may he continue to bring his passion and desire to the Tigers cause. Some people are very good at blaming others and calling for sackings but probably cant take any criticism themselves. I think Tigers will improve and we need a steady hand on the tiller rather than a rudderless drift. A time for calm thinking and holding on for dear life!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Doghashadhisday wrote:The title of the thread says is it now time to thank Cockers?

So here goes - thank you Richard Cockerill - 3 premiership titles, 2 semifinals last year. Thank you for making it exciting watching the Tigers, never knowing which Tigers will turn up makes the ticker go like mad until the end of the game.

Long may he continue to bring his passion and desire to the Tigers cause. Some people are very good at blaming others and calling for sackings but probably cant take any criticism themselves. I think Tigers will improve and we need a steady hand on the tiller rather than a rudderless drift. A time for calm thinking and holding on for dear life!
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Noggs wrote:The Premiership is a very competitive league and gone are the days when one team (Tigers) was so dominant as to win the title 4 years on the trot including two doubles with the European Cup. It will not happen again
Oh I don't know - I could quite easily see Sarries doing just that, although I'd rather they didn't as I wish to see Tigers challenging for both trophies...

Can't see it happening at the moment -although it's not that long ago we went the second half of the season pretty much unbeaten and I'd love to see a repeat of that !!

Let's see how the rest of the season - form, injuries, etc, pans out and then see if we still want changes.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Iain wrote:What will dismissing him achieve? How do we know the faults are down to him? How do we know the problems will stop if he goes? Who is available? Why would they be better?

It is not as simple to say get rid of Cockers and things get better.

In the meantime, we have a Director of Rugby who loves the club at least as much as any of us, was a club legend as a player and has won three Premiership titles, got us to two more finals, never achieved less than a semi final, and got us to a European Cup final and a semi. If you want to name someone with a better record than that, go for it. But they'll be in short supply and/or expensive.
And now tonights Daily Mail article :- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... nster.html :smt039
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Wow that does look good does it?!

Hopefully, the story is over-exaggerated. If Cockerill is sacked, I can see them giving the job to Mauger which I'm very unsure about.

Come on Tigers, let's give one hell of a performance on Saturday to keep Cockerill in a job!
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

wormus wrote:
Iain wrote:What will dismissing him achieve? How do we know the faults are down to him? How do we know the problems will stop if he goes? Who is available? Why would they be better?

In the meantime, we have a Director of Rugby who loves the club at least as much as any of us, was a club legend as a player and has won three Premiership titles, got us to two more finals, never achieved less than a semi final, and got us to a European Cup final and a semi. If you want to name someone with a better record than that, go for it. But they'll be in short supply and/or expensive.
And now tonights Daily Mail article :- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... nster.html :smt039
I bet their reliable inside source is this forum!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

wormus wrote:

Yet another reason for wanting a few convincing wins over the coming weeks - starting on Saturday.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Since my one single post on this thread after returning from Limerick
Ellis9 has posted 16 times.

I have to admit I was pretty angry and still am.

But Ellis9 must be some kind of fanatic.

Let me assure all similar ostriches RC is hanging by a thread.
From what I heard on the plane, I'm amazed he hasn't gone already.
A life long Tiger
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ellis9 wrote:Wow that does look good does it?!

Hopefully, the story is over-exaggerated. If Cockerill is sacked, I can see them giving the job to Mauger which I'm very unsure about.

Come on Tigers, let's give one hell of a performance on Saturday to keep Cockerill in a job!
I can see us looking to bring in Meyer TBH.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Even if Tigers scrape a win on Saturday I don't think that will be enough now. Yes RC had some success and won some titles a few years ago and he should be applauded for that but the team are now clearly stagnating and we'd all just be waiting for the next thrashing at some point. Changes will surely come soon and maybe it's also a time for some changes on the board?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

I feel that the problems we have had in the defeats are due to the players not performing due to certain factors, the defeat at Glasgow was on a plastic pitch, last week we failed to compete for high kicks was this influenced by Adam Thompstone's yellow card the week before?
I was impressed that against Munster we tried to earn the right to go wide but what really let us down was the kicking game both Youngs and Burns failed to pin Munster back so we could try to build from favourable field positions.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Since my one single post on this thread after returning from Limerick
Ellis9 has posted 16 times.
I've made some posts on a messageboard! Who'd have thought it?! What a very strange thing to be doing!

That's now 17 posts :smt023
Last edited by ellis9 on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Fissler tweet suggests by the end of the week. So you who want change dust off your flags and practise your bye bye waves!
BIttySmalls

Post by BIttySmalls »

Whilst changing Cockers may work for a while (and if it happens I hope it does), I can't help feeling that we are just scratching the surface.

IMO It's much bigger than a coach being replaced here and there. We are stagnating as a club and that (unfortunately) is due to the whole structure and ethos, noble as it might be.

As potentially the biggest club in the country (maybe even Europe) we do not (or maybe cannot with the existing structure) make anywhere near the best of our financial opportunities. We need to be smarter, more efficient and (cue the vitriol) consider looking outside for investors (or an investor) to make the best of our potential. Let's get some money in and start playing the system like so many other successfully do.

The fact that we aren't even in the conversation anymore when world class players are rumoured to be moving says it all for me. How can, with our need being so great, not have been in any conversations for the likes of Picamoles or Faletau? I would hazard a guess that our hands are tied financially and no doubt there are reasons for this (investment in stands, car parks, hotels, etc) but from the outside it seems to be a fragmented approach without any one person grasping the reigns and making the best go of it.

I will no doubt be shot down in flames by one of the many factions on this forum however as a supporter I have my opinion and would hope that it is taken as just that, an opinion for discussion.

That said.....

Come on Tigers.....Saturday is massive :smt026
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

RagingBull wrote:
ellis9 wrote:Wow that does look good does it?!

I can see us looking to bring in Meyer TBH.
If Cockers is to be moved on ( and I would not agree if he is), agree that Meyer is the obvious choice as (a) he is available and (b) he has unfinished business with Tigers.