Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Tuilagi Jr v Old Albanian

Post by RagingBull »

Gets an excellent write up here for coventry's Nat one game v Old Albanian

https://coventryrfc.me/2016/12/05/mom-p ... more-37439

But I did give the nod to Freddie because after a couple of indifferent spells coming off the bench in previous games, he looked a completely different player against Old Albanian. After dropping what was a fairly straightforward pass in his own 22 early on, he seemed to grow in confidence and in defence in the second half his performance was at times frightening, with two jaw-dropping tackles that brought ‘Oohs’ from the crowd and left two OA players needing the ‘magic’ sponge. He times his tackles too perfection, a split second later and he would have been in trouble. However, there was absolutely nothing wrong his tackling out there on Saturday and such was the power behind them that, in the final quarter, a couple of the OA crowd were yelling at the referee to protect their players…

But it wasn’t just about the big hits. Freddie was surprisingly quick at times and although his defence was probably his strength, he also made some good yards, with it often taking two players to bring him down. He looked a natural 8 in a way that Darrel Dyer doesn’t. Darrel has been the most consistent of players this season but I’m sure he’s going to be more effective playing blind-side…? The combination of Darrel at 6 and Freddie at 8 is an appealing one and might be a possible solution to some of the general concerns that have been expressed about the back row so far this season.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Tuilagi Jr v Old Albanian

Post by strawclearer »

I remember the first time I saw a young Uncle Manu - it was an academy game against an England U18 side I think - it followed a Tigers 1st XV game. The sound of the hits (young Strawclearer and I had made our way to the very front of the stand) was enough to make you wince but, once you got over that, it was evident there was not a little skill on display.

If nephew Freddie comes close to that - and we keep hold of him - happy days!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

strawclearer wrote:I remember the first time I saw a young Uncle Manu - it was an academy game against an England U18 side I think - it followed a Tigers 1st XV game. The sound of the hits (young Strawclearer and I had made our way to the very front of the stand) was enough to make you wince but, once you got over that, it was evident there was not a little skill on display.

If nephew Freddie comes close to that - and we keep hold of him - happy days!
I remember that game vs the England age grade outfit. We had Ford at 10 and Manu started on the wing before moving to centre. They had Clegg at 10 and Farrell at 12 if I remember rightly. Pretty sure there was a pacey outside back from LI as well Joseph or one of the Watson boys in the backs for the England side.

Glad it sounds like Fred Jnr is out on loan and learning. He's definitely got the physique to make it he's just got to adapt to the speed and intensity of senior rugby.
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »