Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

London Welsh in Liquidation

Post by Smudge »

Very sad that following a second winding up order and the non appearance of the
promised investment They have gone into voluntary liquidation. 40 staff to go.
Really sad that a once great club end up like this.
A life long Tiger
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: London Welsh in Liquidation

Post by jgriffin »

Smudge wrote:Very sad that following a second winding up order and the non appearance of the
promised investment They have gone into voluntary liquidation. 40 staff to go.
Really sad that a once great club end up like this.
Sodding awful. Frankly, broken by the ridiculous championship system and with no moneybags, unlike Briz.
Who owns Deer Park? Love that ground.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I hope the players and support staff can find places elsewhere for the rest of the season. A couple of ex-Tigers down there in Pienaar and Beckett (Dual registered with Glaws, so I assume he goes back).
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I still find it astonishing that in a supposed Rugby loving nation like Wales that there isn't one rich person man or woman that will not step in to prevent this happening. London Welsh has been around for a very long time and to see it founder like this is heart wrenching.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I think it's a fair conclusion to draw that their promotions killed them one way or another. Had they not got promoted, they wouldn't have pursued the Kassam Stadium as an option and therefore wouldn't have abandoned their support base at Old Deer Park and wouldn't have spent big money that they couldn't afford after relegation.

Can someone more learned on the situation than me clarify something: do they receive parachute payments from the Premiership upon being relegated?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Iain wrote:Can someone more learned on the situation than me clarify something: do they receive parachute payments from the Premiership upon being relegated?
No doubt HMRC will be hoping so.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

strawclearer wrote:
Iain wrote:Can someone more learned on the situation than me clarify something: do they receive parachute payments from the Premiership upon being relegated?
Indeed so. I'm just interested to know whether Premiership Rugby aims to support clubs to avoid this when they get relegated or are they cast adrift. I genuinely don't know.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Iain wrote:
strawclearer wrote:
Indeed so. I'm just interested to know whether Premiership Rugby aims to support clubs to avoid this when they get relegated or are they cast adrift. I genuinely don't know.
Probably not quite as full or clear an answer as you would like but:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/30954328
""Each club promoted to Aviva Premiership Rugby has the ability to become a full shareholder over time and also benefit from the parachute payment if relegated," a Premiership Rugby spokesman told BBC Sport."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... apped.html
"Nowadays, because the side going down get a parachute payment, you are strong enough financially for the following 12 months. It is only if you do not get back up immediately that it becomes a real issue. You are then losing share capital from Premiership Rugby."
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Right, that makes sense. :smt023
arickett

Post by arickett »

Iain wrote:
strawclearer wrote:

It is very sad that this happened, but London Welsh did this to themselves, they took legal action to be allowed to do this to themselves.
bageo
Tiger Cub

Post by bageo »

Indeed so. I'm just interested to know whether Premiership Rugby aims to support clubs to avoid this when they get relegated or are they cast adrift. I genuinely don't know.[/quote]

Probably not quite as full or clear an answer as you would like but:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/30954328
""Each club promoted to Aviva Premiership Rugby has the ability to become a full shareholder over time and also benefit from the parachute payment if relegated," a Premiership Rugby spokesman told BBC Sport."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... apped.html
"Nowadays, because the side going down get a parachute payment, you are strong enough financially for the following 12 months. It is only if you do not get back up immediately that it becomes a real issue. You are then losing share capital from Premiership Rugby."[/quote]

I suspect London Welsh don't have any shares. I can't remember exact details (some were in Wasps and Quinns Prospectus - interesting read but I wasn't going to buy!).
Once promoted and you have the potential to buy either A or B shares (memory escapes me) from a club is out of the premiership, you then earn (the non buyable) A or B shares upto a maximum number for the number of years you remain in the topflight. Significant money is paid out depending on the shares you have. I think when Exeter bought their premiership shares in was in the millions to buy them.
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

It is going from bad to worse, if that is possible, for the Club. So sad to see...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38736486
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I was under the impression that as late as yesterday a high court judge had suspended the winding up order as London Welsh had voluntarily gone into administration so unless there has been a further development today, what is all the fuss about?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Well that's game over for them then. Very sad.

I'm sure they'll be back as a phoenix club though. There's too much history for them not to.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Noddy555 wrote:I was under the impression that as late as yesterday a high court judge had suspended the winding up order as London Welsh had voluntarily gone into administration so unless there has been a further development today, what is all the fuss about?
Read the BBC article.