An article from SCW

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BeeJ

An article from SCW

Post by BeeJ »

Read it here. In most instances in the article, you could substitute 'Welford Road' for 'Twickenham'.
Tiggger

Re: An article from SCW

Post by Tiggger »

Well said Sir Clive!

I welcome new fans but I do think they need to observe the 'etiquette' of the game. We have a new season ticket holder in front of me who leaves his seat 20 minutes into each match causing discomfort to us all and blocking the view, as the lady by me put it "we're not used to this!" No as die-hard fans who have sat in the Crumbie for years, we wait for half time to move around. I'm with Aly and Sir Clive on this one and I don't pay £100+ for my ticket.
Johnno is God!!!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Well posted BJ Yes Welford Road is getting like Twickenham with people leaving their seats on 65mins as Burns lined up his penalty and the swarm as Owen Williams took the LBP deciding penalty on 79. Why leave early? but the constant flow of noisy "visitors" each carrying the obligatory two pint pots are totally disruptive. One even tried to carry three x 2 pint pots yesterday and spilt it over adjacent spectators.
Mind you "Old Jock" several rows in front also in the Crumbie has a hot water bottle not a sporran that seems to magically fill with hot water during the game! :smt002
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Well said. We moved to the middle of a block this season to avoid this, but still we managed to miss the first and last 30 seconds of both halves as the couple in front of us fulfilled their apparent obligation to be in the bar as long as possible.
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I have to agree with the view that drinking on the ground will eventually lead to trouble, it's a nuisance already and is getting worse. I'm almost 75, stand on the terrace where I have always stood, won't be taking up Noddy's jibe, but yesterday at the end of the game I was knocked backwards, almost falling on my back up the steps, something no one should have to endure, by a youngish guy who was out of his tree, he barged past knocking a few people into a domino effect, he had pushed backwards and forwards several times during the game. One of his party though was very kind and helpful and reassuring to me when the aggressor turned to remonstrate with me and others who protested to him about his behaviour. Changing times at rugby, I am fearful as to where it will end! :smt017
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

LE18 wrote:I have to agree with the view that drinking on the ground will eventually lead to trouble, it's a nuisance already and is getting worse. I'm almost 75, stand on the terrace where I have always stood, won't be taking up Noddy's jibe, but yesterday at the end of the game I was knocked backwards, almost falling on my back up the steps, something no one should have to endure, by a youngish guy who was out of his tree, he barged past knocking a few people into a domino effect, he had pushed backwards and forwards several times during the game. One of his party though was very kind and helpful and reassuring to me when the aggressor turned to remonstrate with me and others who protested to him about his behaviour. Changing times at rugby, I am fearful as to where it will end! :smt017
Stand at the front just behind Mrs G on the rail and often have young people pushing, often pished and sometimes with children.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Funny about this article I said to my son at the game that I had never noticed so many people moving about during the game. We missed Manu and the other 3 subs entrance as the people in front were standing up. Tigers were on the attack and again the people in front were standing to go from their seats. The people around me were shouting for them to sit down but they totally ignored that and took their time. Then one of them stood up to leave his seat while play was going on and then decided to stand there and talk to his mates.

People were also streaming out of their seats 6 minutes before half time and before the end of the game.

Normally I dont mind moving for the elderly with a leaky bladder but this was not the case yesterday.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Modern times. The gratification of self to the inconvenience of others. Next there will be calls for play to stop for periods during the game (american football?) so that the merchants have more opportunity to sell their wares. Simple really. Shut the bars 15 mins before kick off and open again 15 mins after final whistle
I'm not cynical just experienced
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

wormus wrote:Well posted BJ.
Thank you but I cannot claim all the credit. The cutting from the paper was shown to me at the match on Saturday afternoon and I've simply provided a link to the article online. Surely you don't think I'd actually buy the Daily Mail, do you? :smt002
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I enjoy a beer or two during the game, like many of us. This often causes me to need the gents during the game, like many of us.

However, I wait for a break in play before I go. I also wait on the steps for a break in play to return. It isn't rocket science.

And whilst I enjoy a beer or two, I do so responsibly. That isn't difficult either.

On Saturday, particularly on the trains home, it felt far drunker than normal. Perhaps blame the England game making it a double header.

Not a lot you can do about it I guess. In football, the law is no alcohol in view of the pitch - I wouldn't be happy about that but I can sort of see the point.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Must be a better class of punter in the Met FL block. Very little movement during the game yesterday and as a rule.

A 5pm kick off with an England match before hand probably doesn't help. Seen two Saints supporters drinking shots at 3pm in the Slug! TBF though they looked like they could handle their booze.

I noticed yesterday they announced that people should go to their seats 15 minutes before kick off yesterday. Unfortunately I was in the middle of a 20 minute wait for their incompetent bar staff to purchase two pints! But perhaps more announcements about trying to avoid leaving one's seat during the match.
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

Like Iain I enjoy a pint or two while watching the game but I wouldn't dream of leaving or returning to my seat unless there was a break in play. In reality I very rarely leave my seat during the game as I don't want to miss anything.

Saturday was particularly bad for people moving about. I sit at the Alliance and Leicester (Mattioli Woods) end of the Crumbie (Holland & Barrett) stand and there were large groups of people arriving at their seats 10 minutes after kick off. I think part of the problem is this area is due to it being used for some of the hospitality offerings. It is also an area populated largely by 'casual' supporters rather than season ticket holders. Consequently I think there is an obligation on the club to educate people, easily done with a few signs placed appropriately and more importantly sufficient stewards in place throughout the game to 'direct the traffic'. If it is a result of people leaving the hospitality lounges ensure they leave with enough time to get a drink and take their seats.

Lets not overreact by closing bars, banning drinking at seats etc. Lets put some effort into educating what I think is the minority. For me good stewarding would largely solve the problem.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
kelmat

Post by kelmat »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote:Like Iain I enjoy a pint or two while watching the game but I wouldn't dream of leaving or returning to my seat unless there was a break in play. In reality I very rarely leave my seat during the game as I don't want to miss anything.

Saturday was particularly bad for people moving about. I sit at the Alliance and Leicester (Mattioli Woods) end of the Crumbie (Holland & Barrett) stand and there were large groups of people arriving at their seats 10 minutes after kick off. I think part of the problem is this area is due to it being used for some of the hospitality offerings. It is also an area populated largely by 'casual' supporters rather than season ticket holders. Consequently I think there is an obligation on the club to educate people, easily done with a few signs placed appropriately and more importantly sufficient stewards in place throughout the game to 'direct the traffic'. If it is a result of people leaving the hospitality lounges ensure they leave with enough time to get a drink and take their seats.

Lets not overreact by closing bars, banning drinking at seats etc. Lets put some effort into educating what I think is the minority. For me good stewarding would largely solve the problem.
I sit in the South stand on the front row, I regularly hear and see the stewards hold people back until there is a break in play, but I am staggered at how many times they (the stewards) get a load of backchat from "supporters" some weeks ago I heard a fan, clearly tell the steward that he nor anybody was going to stop him going to his seat that he had paid a lot of money for!

I dont think that a 100 more stewards would help when you get such stupid ignorant so called supporters acting like that!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

kelmat wrote:
Grumpy of Crumbie wrote:Like Iain I enjoy a pint or two while watching the game but I wouldn't dream of leaving or returning to my seat unless there was a break in play. In reality I very rarely leave my seat during the game as I don't want to miss anything.

I sit in the South stand
You sit in the Crumbie Stand you horrible heathen :smt013
kelmat

Post by kelmat »

Iain wrote:
kelmat wrote:

I sit in the South stand
You sit in the Crumbie Stand you horrible heathen :smt013
Sorry Iain, I am a health and safety officer by trade so you can see I have been beaten into submission and no longer have a brain of my own !