Super User

Re: An article from SCW

Post by strawclearer »

kelmat wrote:
Iain wrote:
kelmat wrote:
I sit in the South stand
You sit in the Crumbie Stand you horrible heathen :smt013
Sorry Iain, I am a health and safety officer by trade so you can see I have been beaten into submission and no longer have a brain of my own !
(Bet he wore a high visibilty jacket as a kid when he played hide-and-seek!)
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

strawclearer wrote:
kelmat wrote:
Iain wrote:

You sit in the Crumbie Stand you horrible heathen :smt013
Sorry Iain, I am a health and safety officer by trade so you can see I have been beaten into submission and no longer have a brain of my own !
(Bet he wore a high visibilty jacket as a kid when he played hide-and-seek!)
I'am sure Strawclearer he is the one in the Crumbie with the green hardhat, eye protection, yellow hi vis. Jacket matching the away kit, steel toecap rigger boots and doing the match risk assessments with one eye on the game. :smt002
kelmat

Post by kelmat »

Just to clear things up, I don't think I ever wore a hi viz jkt as a kid, but I did wear a hard hat of sorts and possibly a hi viz a couple of times during my 11 years with 2 PARA !
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

kelmat wrote:Just to clear things up, I don't think I ever wore a hi viz jkt as a kid, but I did wear a hard hat of sorts and possibly a hi viz a couple of times during my 11 years with 2 PARA !
2 PARA - wow - impressed!

A Royal Marine in a bar leans over to the guy next to him and says, ''Wanna hear a PARA joke?''

The guy next to him replies, ''Well, before you tell that joke, you should know something. I'm 6' tall, 220 lbs, I'm a Rugby Hooker and I'm a PARA. The guy sitting next to me is 6'4'' tall, weighs 245, plays open-side and he's a PARA. The fella next to him is 6'8'' tall, weighs 260, plays 2nd row and he's also a PARA. Now, you still wanna tell that joke?''

The Marine raises one eyebrow, rolls up his sleeves and says ...................., ''Nah, I don't want to have to explain it three times.''

I know...I know...please stick to the topic - just don't tell Kelmat my real name and address! :smt037
kelmat

Post by kelmat »

strawclearer wrote:
kelmat wrote:Just to clear things up, I don't think I ever wore a hi viz jkt as a kid, but I did wear a hard hat of sorts and possibly a hi viz a couple of times during my 11 years with 2 PARA !

A Royal Marine in a bar leans over to the guy next to him and says, ''Wanna hear a PARA joke?''

The guy next to him replies, ''Well, before you tell that joke, you should know something. I'm 6' tall, 220 lbs, I'm a Rugby Hooker and I'm a PARA. The guy sitting next to me is 6'4'' tall, weighs 245, plays open-side and he's a PARA. The fella next to him is 6'8'' tall, weighs 260, plays 2nd row and he's also a PARA. Now, you still wanna tell that joke?''

The Marine raises one eyebrow, rolls up his sleeves and says ...................., ''Nah, I don't want to have to explain it three times.''

I know...I know...please stick to the topic - just don't tell Kelmat my real name and address! :smt037
I kind of recall several conversations like that on camp over the years! lots of silly boys stuff and then when it was over, everyone buys each other a drink, something very similar to this great game we watch week in, week out !
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

kelmat wrote:
strawclearer wrote:

I kind of recall several conversations like that on camp over the years! lots of silly boys stuff and then when it was over, everyone buys each other a drink, something very similar to this great game we watch week in, week out !
:smt023 Mine's a pint or a large rioja! :smt030
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Perhaps there should be more robust stewarding and a culture change to make it more like a theatre; If you arrive late, you have to wait; if you leave and want to come back, you have to wait; and an announcement that we DO NOT STAND UP during play.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Old Hob wrote:and an announcement that we DO NOT STAND UP during play.
Those on the terrace would be jolly uncomfortable and have very cold bottoms!

(But I agree, particularly as a try may be about to be scored!)
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Old Hob wrote:and an announcement that we DO NOT STAND UP during play.
I vote that we must have this announcement (repeatedly as required) the next time we play Ulster

Could also be applicable for the Munster game too

:smt002 :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

It's important that we show tolerance to those who, themselves, are respectful of others. Like my father (Old Man Strawclearer) before me, I've now reached the age where I choose an aisle rather than a window seat on planes and trains - and if they did a bathroom seat I'd consider that!

You'll normally find me sitting within a couple of seats of the end of a row in the Crumbie - and I know what a 'break in play' looks like both for my egress and entry. A game of rugby and a few pints are ideal bedfellows imho - but I now partake more after the game than before and for obvious reasons. :smt030

I too get irritated by those who find the 'bar/bathroom dynamic' irresistible during the match - and by those who leap to their feet to better view a try being scored in a corner on their side of the pitch. Some of us can't get into a standing position quite so quickly - and, yes, I'm aware there's a double meaning in that one!

I guess we're all just hoping for good manners to be at the fore at Welford Road! Anyway - enough for now - I need to go.........
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

I sit on an end seat by the aisle in the big stand (forgotten what's it's called this week) and I fully appreciate I need to move to let others in or out. The ones that cheese me off are those who turn up 5-10 minutes after kick-off with their arms laden with beer and the excuse, "Sorry we're late. We couldn't find anywhere to park." My usual reply is, "Never mind. I see you still found time to call at the bar though."