The Local Derby v Saints!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: The Local Derby v Saints!

Post by Old Hob »

I think we must all recognise that swearing, or what used to be classed as swearing, is now commomnplace, everyday language on TV dramas and comedy shows. I t the increasing aggression from fans that bothers me. At Bristol there was a group behind me shouting for our scrum half to be stamped on. "Kick him while he's on the floor" was said, not in jest but with real venom. I was trailed into town on Saturday by a very drunken group wearing Saints colours and the "banter" had an unpleasant snarl to it. This needs stopping now.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Is the impression that late kick offs are worse than the traditional Sat 3pm as they afford more time for the taking of alcohol which I would attribute the majority of bad behaviour to. Ah once was the time one could slowly slide down the bank in a hapless daze of spirit.
I'm not cynical just experienced
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

Old Hob wrote:I think we must all recognise that swearing, or what used to be classed as swearing, is now commomnplace, everyday language on TV dramas and comedy shows. I t the increasing aggression from fans that bothers me. At Bristol there was a group behind me shouting for our scrum half to be stamped on. "Kick him while he's on the floor" was said, not in jest but with real venom. I was trailed into town on Saturday by a very drunken group wearing Saints colours and the "banter" had an unpleasant snarl to it. This needs stopping now.
Its bad enough that theres constant condemnation of people who wish to enjoy the game in a more colourful fashion than yourselves but how do you propose to restrict people enjoying themselves outside the ground? Freedom of expression is what its called and it should be defended rather than restricted by old curmudgeons.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Why does anybody need to swear whilst watching a rugby match? It rather displays a slight lack of intelligence. I take my kids to WR to watch rugby, not to hear the drunk idiot in front and his limited "colourful" (brainless) vocabulary. On the other hand, the families either side of us are capable of making noise and supporting the team without me needing to reply to questions of "what does xxxx mean?".
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Sibirite reveals his true colours. He supports a complete lack of courtesy to those around, the right to swear and jostle and give offence to others and spoil their enjoyment of an event as he and his kind behave in their own colourful way. The fact that Old Hob obviously felt threatened by the actions of the drunken group following him away from the ground is described as freedom of expression and the victim a curmudgeon. Surely he cannot be serious, what sort of society will we have if we all behave in a manner that has no concern for the feelings of others.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I have witnessed stewards dealing with people using offensive language with a warning followed by removal from the ground. Not acceptable behaviour.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Sibarite, whilst I fully support the view that people should be able to 'colourfully' support their team, I draw the line at foul mouthed, loutish behaviour, which is not acceptable. On Saturday evening, whilst walking back to the car we, my daughters and my grandchildren, were followed by a group of about 10 Saints supporters who were basically incapable of reasoned conversation due to their intake of alcohol, and were intent on abusing, and more worryingly, frightening the children. When I politely turned and asked them to cut out the bad language, they responded with more abuse. I am sure that their foul mouthed, yobbish, behaviour is acceptable in some circles, but surely not at a rugby match, or where children are involved.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

There should be one rule for how to conduct yourself as a rugby fan, left largely unwritten.

Rule 1: Don't be a :censored:.

Everything else falls into place from there.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Absolutely Iain!
kelmat

Post by kelmat »

Iain wrote:There should be one rule for how to conduct yourself as a rugby fan, left largely unwritten.

Could not agree more ! :smt038
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

kelmat wrote:
Iain wrote:There should be one rule for how to conduct yourself as a rugby fan, left largely unwritten.

Could not agree more ! :smt038
Quite so. Well said Iain (with some irony noted)! :smt002 :smt003
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

Hot_Charlie wrote:Why does anybody need to swear whilst watching a rugby match? It rather displays a slight lack of intelligence. I take my kids to WR to watch rugby, not to hear the drunk idiot in front and his limited "colourful" (brainless) vocabulary. On the other hand, the families either side of us are capable of making noise and supporting the team without me needing to reply to questions of "what does xxxx mean?".
Its total tosh to say swearing shows a lack of intelligence. The conclusion that you jump to shows no ability to reason at all. I hope that deleted word wasn't swearing Iain. If it was you'v undermined your curmudgeonly cohorts.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

SIBARITE wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:Why does anybody need to swear whilst watching a rugby match? It rather displays a slight lack of intelligence. I take my kids to WR to watch rugby, not to hear the drunk idiot in front and his limited "colourful" (brainless) vocabulary. On the other hand, the families either side of us are capable of making noise and supporting the team without me needing to reply to questions of "what does xxxx mean?".
Its total tosh to say swearing shows a lack of intelligence. The conclusion that you jump to shows no ability to reason at all. I hope that deleted word wasn't swearing Iain. If it was you'v undermined your curmudgeonly cohorts.
Whatever.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

SIBARITE wrote:
It certainly shows an inability to use language correctly. Swearing is for those moments of frustration when emphasis is needed. Sadly, most of us after a few fruit juices tend to get a bit too fruity and I don't think that's a problem confined to just Saints and Tigers.
It's also why those comedians who have to swear to get a laugh are not funny.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

tigercaspian wrote:
SIBARITE wrote:
It certainly shows an inability to use language correctly. Swearing is for those moments of frustration when emphasis is needed. Sadly, most of us after a few fruit juices tend to get a bit too fruity and I don't think that's a problem confined to just Saints and Tigers.
It's also why those comedians who have to swear to get a laugh are not funny.
They don't have to swear to get a laugh. Its about delivery and timing as well as audience response. The quality of vocal support at rugby games in general is poor. "Tigers, Tigers Tigers. Bristol, bristol, Bristol. Take off your M&S, Next outfits and be inventive. I talked to a Tigers player who was invited to a City game and he was shocked to hear the wit, humour and tolerance of the crowd. Tigers can get 20000 in the ground. Do they all have to be dull anoraks cow towing to the old guard. No they do not. Like it or not the money men want the popularity of the game to grow. If you don't like it head back to your local club which is still run on the lines of a stuffy golf club and be a giant there.