Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Kieran Brooke's red card

Post by sam16111986 »

SIBARITE wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:Why a red card? Such thuggery should be perfectly legal and is what any normal rugby player does.

:smt001
In no way is Brookes a thug. Cockerill let him go because he wasn't aggressive enough. Keiron is a decent fella who so far has not displayed thuggery at all. Its his first red card and notwithstanding the latest directives would not have been red carded for that clear out. Fashionistas are not needed in this game.
Even in the old directives he was going to get a card. We've seen retrospective bans for similar previously and quite frankly it was moronic. If you make contact with the head with your shoulder it's a card these days, check out the red for the Quins 8 vs Exeter. The fact that Brookes made no attempt to wrap the arms a couple of feet away from the ref makes it even worse. Mallinder can whine about it and play it down but the ref has little choice it's dangerous play and completely intentional. Bai did something not to dissimilar vs Wasps a couple of year back, didn't make him a thug but it was still stupid.

For the record I think Cockers opted to let Brookes go because of his injury record, his preference of eating over training and his low work rate on the pitch.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Is 'Fashionista' a personal insult?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

sam16111986 wrote:
SIBARITE wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:Why a red card? Such thuggery should be perfectly legal and is what any normal rugby player does.

:smt001
In no way is Brookes a thug. Cockerill let him go because he wasn't aggressive enough. Keiron is a decent fella who so far has not displayed thuggery at all. Its his first red card and notwithstanding the latest directives would not have been red carded for that clear out. Fashionistas are not needed in this game.
Even in the old directives he was going to get a card. We've seen retrospective bans for similar previously and quite frankly it was moronic. If you make contact with the head with your shoulder it's a card these days, check out the red for the Quins 8 vs Exeter. The fact that Brookes made no attempt to wrap the arms a couple of feet away from the ref makes it even worse. Mallinder can whine about it and play it down but the ref has little choice it's dangerous play and completely intentional. Bai did something not to dissimilar vs Wasps a couple of year back, didn't make him a thug but it was still stupid.

For the record I think Cockers opted to let Brookes go because of his injury record, his preference of eating over training and his low work rate on the pitch.

Cockers trots out the same reasoning whenever he turns against a player. Waldrom was treated in the same manner. For the record "Deal with it" is a well used phrase by Cockerill when a player seeks any guidance or clarification on one of his decisions. Player development, who needs it. Your fired. Next! What goes around comes around. Hopefully at the end of this season.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

SIBARITE wrote:
sam16111986 wrote:
SIBARITE wrote: Cockers trots out the same reasoning whenever he turns against a player. Waldrom was treated in the same manner. For the record "Deal with it" is a well used phrase by Cockerill when a player seeks any guidance or clarification on one of his decisions. Player development, who needs it. Your fired. Next! What goes around comes around. Hopefully at the end of this season.
Couldn't comment on Cockers. Can comment on Brookes who was injured for a lot of his time at Tigers, put on a lot of weight during those injury periods and has been dropped from the England squad now that Eddie "work rate" Jones has come in. Brookes was in no fit shape to provide competition for Cole when he was at the club. It was a good move on his part to go back to Newcastle and sort himself out.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

fleabane wrote:Only their third win at Northampton for a century.
I think it was "this century" which is actually only 16 years. Though in the days before leagues I'm not sure how often they have played each other anyway.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Correct!
Valhalla I am coming!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Many poor quality players playing in the Premiership at present and Brookes is one of them.
He is just big with flab, he can pass a ball alright for a prop but is lacking in every other area in my opinion.
Seen better props in social rugby.
The quality of much of the rugby since the autumn internationals started has been very poor.
Southerntiger

Post by Southerntiger »

Premiership rugby is dire without internationals

I'd rather see 10 teams in the league and have 4 less games in AIs and 6 nations.

Brookes incident was a ridiculous red card, incomparable to the Bai incident
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

So perhaps Cockers was right about Brookes then, BFG?

Funnily enough I enjoy watching the games in which international players can't/don't take part: good chance to see what is out there or indeed not out there as the case may be.

Brookes was correctly red carded as Bai was: the only difference was that Bai took a run up of some length. Can still see him steaming across the field and me thinking 'please don't' but to no avail.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Interesting to see the follow up of Brooke's incident. Lawson seemed fine by Micky Young could have done a lot of damage to his knee. Got away with it.

Completely indefensible though. Shoulder to head and he knew exactly what he was doing.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

tigercaspian wrote:So perhaps Cockers was right about Brookes then, BFG?

Funnily enough I enjoy watching the games in which international players can't/don't take part: good chance to see what is out there or indeed not out there as the case may be.

Brookes was correctly red carded as Bai was: the only difference was that Bai took a run up of some length. Can still see him steaming across the field and me thinking 'please don't' but to no avail.
Perhaps? Don't think there is much doubt about it.

I've been disappointed at the quality in recent weeks, in particular the stop/start nature of the matches that I have watched.

It was a red card, shoulder to the head and no attempt to use the arms.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

His hearing was Tuesday pm. Anyone know the outcome yet? I am guessing he will be joining Callum C on the naughty step on Saturday.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

To answer my own question... 2 week ban. It is a Derby with its own motivation so any saints pack could be dangerous but they will be missing clarke, brookes, lawes, wood, hartley, Harrison unless Eddie release one, perhaps Harrison.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

rdracup wrote:To answer my own question... 2 week ban. It is a Derby with its own motivation so any saints pack could be dangerous but they will be missing clarke, brookes, lawes, wood, hartley, Harrison unless Eddie release one, perhaps Harrison.
Only two weeks! Well I never!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/ne ... o-week-ban

An RFU statement read: "Both of these cases were considered low-end entry points by the panel, however Kieran Brookes does not have a clean disciplinary record and so the panel did not feel able to reduce the sanction to one week as they could in the case of Calum Green."

Fair enough and good to see IMO but, by that same logic (alone), how did Calum Clarke (and probably other players before resident Tigers in disguise pipe up) get a reduction?

Inconsistent.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.