Calum Clark - Again!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Calum Clark - Again!

Post by jgriffin »

You won't affect the Whingers, they seem to connect historical bad behaviour - every club and nation has a massive list from the 70s-90s for a start - with a serial cheap shot merchant whose cheap shots are far from handbags. So why condemn waterboarding in the light of WW2, JFK's assassination in the light of that of Spencer Percival (occupational hazard) etc? I always find the spurious moral logic of the Whingers fascinating as a case study and quite useful to get 6th form students to debate.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

SIBARITE wrote:
Southerntiger wrote:Shock horror

Bloke in testosterone filled sport pushes the line bit too far while getting cheered on by thousands of fans

Dorian West gouged Austin Healy horrifically while playing for Nottingham vs Orrell
Healey narrowly escaped prison for assault and broke jaw of a bloke with a headbutt completely unprovoked
Cockerill got invited to a local rugby club dinner, had a hotel paid for by club and looked after well. He throws food at guests and lamps people randomly on night out for no reason
Johnson got done for stamping on a Scottish players face and other horrific offences over the years

Need I go on?

You could but you'd be wasting your time. Embedded prejudice is very hard to change. I for one applaud your efforts. :smt023
You applaud describing Clark's behaviour as a 'bit too far'?
I'm sure most of us would describe all of the instances listed as completely unacceptable*, particularly in the modern game.

* bit of a caveat on the MJ incident if you're referring to John Leslie in 1999 - Johnson said it was accidental and that Leslie had turned his head towards his foot as he was rucking legitimately. This was accepted by many on all sides. Johnson has been punished on a number of occasions for his behaviour, not without reason, more severely than Clark and for lesser offences. Why? When this sort of behaviour is supposed to be less acceptable now than it was two or three decades ago?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Cagey Tiger wrote:So what? You trot out these previous incidents as if everybody else condones them (because they were done by Tigers players?). What a load of rubbish. They are not things that I had heard of before, but presuming they are true, I condemn the lot, so you both can get off your holier than though horses :smt013
Totally agree CT - but I wouldn't waste your time.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

If that had been at "grassroots" level the player in question would have had the book thrown at him or her (closely followed by the kitchen sink).
He really must have a taken some lovely biscuits to the hearing.
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

jgriffin wrote:You won't affect the Whingers, they seem to connect historical bad behaviour - every club and nation has a massive list from the 70s-90s for a start - with a serial cheap shot merchant whose cheap shots are far from handbags. So why condemn waterboarding in the light of WW2, JFK's assassination in the light of that of Spencer Percival (occupational hazard) etc? I always find the spurious moral logic of the Whingers fascinating as a case study and quite useful to get 6th form students to debate.
Really? JFKs assassination is relevant to Clarkes elbowing.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

SIBARITE wrote:
jgriffin wrote:You won't affect the Whingers, they seem to connect historical bad behaviour - every club and nation has a massive list from the 70s-90s for a start - with a serial cheap shot merchant whose cheap shots are far from handbags. So why condemn waterboarding in the light of WW2, JFK's assassination in the light of that of Spencer Percival (occupational hazard) etc? I always find the spurious moral logic of the Whingers fascinating as a case study and quite useful to get 6th form students to debate.
Come on now, you know what jgriffin was getting at.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

JFK cf Callum Clarke. I think you are missing the point Sybarite. JG's point (if I understand it) is that it's silly to morally justify or condemn actions in the present by randomly picking out actions from the past. My Dad refused to wear a seat belt, my parents' generation automatically lit cigarettes in other people's houses, my inlaws routinely (and non-maliciously) used racist language. What seemed OK then seems wrong now and in rugby terms what might have been acceptable (or even praiseworthy) conduct, say, between front rowers in the Welsh valleys in the 70's would be completely unacceptable now. Why? Partly because of a general cultural change and also because we know far more about the real physical consequences of slapping mud in people's eyes and collapsing scrums.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
SIBARITE wrote:
My point is and has been throughout this thread is that Clarke is unreasonably castigated on this forum while equally foul play by others is hardly mentioned. Clarke is not any worse than a dozen or so other premiership players. The use of histrionic hyperbole in relation to him is unsavoury to say the least. Time to get over Calum Clarke.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Yes. Agree with both those points. I suppose tribal loyalties shape selective memories and you're right: time to move on.
ps At least we won't have to see CC on Dec 3rd!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

SIBARITE wrote:
Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
SIBARITE wrote:<<"jgriffin">>You won't affect the Whingers, they seem to connect historical bad behaviour - every club and nation has a massive list from the 70s-90s for a start - with a serial cheap shot merchant whose cheap shots are far from handbags. So why condemn waterboarding in the light of WW2, JFK's assassination in the light of that of Spencer Percival (occupational hazard) etc? I always find the spurious moral logic of the Whingers fascinating as a case study and quite useful to get 6th form students to debate.<<>>

My point is and has been throughout this thread is that Clarke is unreasonably castigated on this forum while equally foul play by others is hardly mentioned. Clarke is not any worse than a dozen or so other premiership players. The use of histrionic hyperbole in relation to him is unsavoury to say the least. Time to get over Calum Clarke.
1. Surely the lesson is that all foul behaviour (note absence of 'play'), especially by repeat offenders, should be castigated rather than letting Clark off on the grounds that he is not the only one?
2. This thread would be a lot shorter without the dubious value of your contributions.
grobyman

Post by grobyman »

The dozen or so other premiership players Siberite refers to don't play for Saints though!! :smt002
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

grobyman wrote:The dozen or so other premiership players Siberite refers to don't play for Saints though!! :smt002
Could we have a draft list then, please?
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

SPIKE@srufc wrote:If that had been at "grassroots" level the player in question would have had the book thrown at him or her (closely followed by the kitchen sink).
He really must have a taken some lovely biscuits to the hearing.
Regrettably I cannot agree with you wholeheartedly Spike. At grassroots a lot of 'feistiness' comes when one or both sides have players who are not fully conversant with the regulations and this is pretty much part of the game. Unfortunately you occasionally get some thug who just wants to hospitalise random players in off the ball incidents and sometimes the referees at this level are simply incapable of handling them effectively. Very rare in my experience but perhaps therefore more shocking when it happens.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

SIBARITE wrote:Time to get over Calum Clarke.
Most had until he tried to elbow another players head whilst they were lying on the floor. That brought a few memories back.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

h's dad wrote:
grobyman wrote:The dozen or so other premiership players Siberite refers to don't play for Saints though!! :smt002
Could we have a draft list then, please?
Yes, I'd like to see that list aswell.